Now that I'm a little calmer...My Supercuts Experience...

BrockStar

So I decide to just be nice. I didn't wanna be one of those difficult customers so I went ahead and went to Supercuts for a trim without taking my own things. I called ahead of time and say..."Hi. I want to know if you do my kind of hair...it is very curly, I am black" etc. etc just to make sure. When I got there, no black stylists, but I'm like ok, I know some naturals who have gone to supercuts before, let's see what they're talking about. I sit in the chair and she starts to feel my hair and is like, "Ummm..I don't know if I can do this..." I should have left then but I was nice and I said well actually it's been through some things (it HAD!!! lol) so I told her it would be much easier once she washed it. So she LAZILY washed it(as she commented inappropriatly about my hair), put conditioner in for LITERALLY 2 seconds(Ok all conditioners, made for white, black, whoever at least needs to be in for a minute!) and washed it out and the she started towel drying it:nono: She proceed to say, "I don't know how ya'll do it...You put weave and do all that stuff to your hair, does it get expensive?" sigh...So she sits me in a chair and my towel dried hair looks CRAZY and asked for a PICK!!! Ok yall, a wide tooth comb would have been just fine...and so I said, "Maam, you are not touching my hair with and kind of comb if my hair is not completely wet...So she then (not even trying again) 'wets' it and lazily tries to comb it out. Ya'll I SWEAR she WANTED me to get up and leave! So then I say you know what, how much is the shampoo, I am not gonna be bald headed tonight and I left and came home and had to condition it myself. Ya'll she really offended me and she kept making little comments about my hair! It's really not even that difficult to manage! Anyway, ranting is over, but I thought I'd share...It'll be a while before I venture out into the salon world again...I've been out for 3 years for a reason...

It sounds like you handled it well under the circumstances. Talk about a closed mind :ohwell:. She's got all these beliefs about it and has never touched it. Maybe it wasn't even you though, maybe she just really didn't like her job and is trying to give her superiors a reason to can her. It happens.

Your hair is lovely BTW. Also, I like the name. It has a nice ring to it. :yep:

P.S.When left she looked sooo relieved...

I believe she looked relieved.......She told you in the beginning that she did not know if she could do this.....Your right u should have left then...U did the right thing by leaving but I would have had a talk with the manager about her comments first

That's crazy! She was being a pain in the rear (and ignorant for that matter). She probably hasn't been working there long or doesn't have much experience because their are some white people with coarse and curly hair that need trims too! I hate when people proceed to play in your hair all the while knowing they don't know what they are doing!

ETA: I go to supercuts and great clips for all of my trims so I'd have to say it was just her and yes you definitely should report her. Make your complaint a good one and include stuff like, "she made condescending personal remarks about my hair that I found very offensive and find it hard to believe her actions are within the company's beliefs and policies, etc. etc."

Last edited:
The whole time I was reading that I was thinking "please tell me you left" I'm glad you did. Who knows what would have happened to your hair. Good to see clients standing up to unprofessional pros.

She proceed to say, "I don't know how ya'll do it...You put weave and do all that stuff to your hair, does it get expensive?"

"Ya'll"? Talk about generalizations... :nono:

You didn't walk in that place with a weave, yet she assumed you knew all about them because? My, oh, my... :rolleyes:

I would write a letter to corporate, informing them of that stylist's behavior. That was beyond unprofessional! Simply calling doesn't normally do the trick, as the customer might just seem heated at the moment, the manager will just chalk it up as the customer just being too sensitive. The manager might be the stylist's friend or family member that will protect her. I doubt that she'd have close peeps at corporate.

Writing a formal letter to headquarters lets the incident "trickle down" back to that stylist, who will have to answer to her behavior to several people.

I'm a letter-writing fool when it comes to bad service & unprofessional behavior - personal or general nastiness towards all. My money is green just like everyone else's, I expect the service I pay for. If I don't get what I paid for, I let corporate know about it.

Last edited:
That's crazy! She was being a pain in the rear (and ignorant for that matter). She probably hasn't been working there long or doesn't have much experience because their are some white people with coarse and curly hair that need trims too! I hate when people proceed to play in your hair all the while knowing they don't know what they are doing!

ETA: I go to supercuts and great clips for all of my trims so I'd have to say it was just her and yes you definitely should report her. Make your complaint a good one and include stuff like, "she made condescending personal remarks about my hair that I found very offensive and find it hard to believe her actions are within the company's beliefs and policies, etc. etc."

Please report her arse, she should have just been mature about the situation and referred you to a stylist in the salon with more experience. Ignorance is not an excuse.

I would have contacted a manager and wrote a letter to supercuts corporate. I did the same thing and went to Great Clips. I just wanted a trim (2 years ago) The woman took off 4 INCHES! And my hair was a GREASY mess! Needless to say when I was done, my last name should have been Clips. I ripped all of them a new one...without cussing, without being nasty. She cut my naturally curly hair WET and said, Oh I didn't know it stretched out like that!

WHAT?

I'm sorry that happened to you :(

Don't go back!

I'm not much of a reporter, but I definitely think I'm going to do it this time...Ya'll I think she really tried to make me feel bad! Thanks for the advice:rolleyes:

I believe she looked relieved.......She told you in the beginning that she did not know if she could do this.....Your right u should have left then...U did the right thing by leaving but I would have had a talk with the manager about her comments first
ITA she warned you. It's not to late to file a complaint with the manager in writing.

Yup as soon as she said she didnt know if she could do it I woulda left. My hair is not an experiement for the untrained! Also that comment on weaves.....I woulda left right then and there cuz I NEVER get weaves and I'd be too pissed at having some lady thinking I spend whole paychecks on them :nono:

So I decide to just be nice. I didn't wanna be one of those difficult customers so I went ahead and went to Supercuts for a trim without taking my own things. I called ahead of time and say..."Hi. I want to know if you do my kind of hair...it is very curly, I am black" etc. etc just to make sure. When I got there, no black stylists, but I'm like ok, I know some naturals who have gone to supercuts before, let's see what they're talking about. I sit in the chair and she starts to feel my hair and is like, "Ummm..I don't know if I can do this..." I should have left then but I was nice and I said well actually it's been through some things (it HAD!!! lol) so I told her it would be much easier once she washed it. So she LAZILY washed it(as she commented inappropriatly about my hair), put conditioner in for LITERALLY 2 seconds(Ok all conditioners, made for white, black, whoever at least needs to be in for a minute!) and washed it out and the she started towel drying it:nono: She proceed to say, "I don't know how ya'll do it...You put weave and do all that stuff to your hair, does it get expensive?" sigh...So she sits me in a chair and my towel dried hair looks CRAZY and asked for a PICK!!! Ok yall, a wide tooth comb would have been just fine...and so I said, "Maam, you are not touching my hair with and kind of comb if my hair is not completely wet...So she then (not even trying again) 'wets' it and lazily tries to comb it out. Ya'll I SWEAR she WANTED me to get up and leave! So then I say you know what, how much is the shampoo, I am not gonna be bald headed tonight and I left and came home and had to condition it myself. Ya'll she really offended me and she kept making little comments about my hair! It's really not even that difficult to manage! Anyway, ranting is over, but I thought I'd share...It'll be a while before I venture out into the salon world again...I've been out for 3 years for a reason...

At least she was upfront about telling she wasn't sure she'd be able to do your hair. You would think washing hair would be easier than styling it. I had a bad experience with a white hair stylist before at JCPenny who didn't know what the heck she was doing. I'm glad you did the right thing and left. I would report her for the unnecesary comments she made because that was unprofessional.

I'm not much of a reporter, but I definitely think I'm going to do it this time...Ya'll I think she really tried to make me feel bad! Thanks for the advice:rolleyes:

yes, definitely report her!!!
alot of us dont complain and accept whats dished out to us! thats why they feel like they can do anything, say anything, serve anything etc etc
let us know how it turns out

I'm in total agreement with the other ladies here who believe that you should file a report in writing. These people need to be aware that actions and attitudes like this in a presumably professional environment can and do have consequences.

Best of luck to you!

I would write a letter to corporate, informing them of that stylist's behavior. That was beyond unprofessional! Simply calling doesn't normally do the trick, as the customer might just seem heated at the moment, the manager will just chalk it up as the customer just being too sensitive. The manager might be the stylist's friend or family member that will protect her. I doubt that she'd have close peeps at corporate.

Writing a formal letter to headquarters lets the incident "trickle down" back to that stylist, who will have to answer to her behavior to several people.

I'm a letter-writing fool when it comes to bad service & unprofessional behavior - personal or general nastiness towards all. My money is green just like everyone else's, I expect the service I pay for. If I don't get what I paid for, I let corporate know about it.

I agree. A suit was filed against Hair Cuttery in MD for similar behavior. They were charging sistas extra and wearing gloves to wash their hair.

Yeah. :ohwell: Not all hairstylists know how to do hair well, esp. curly hair unfortunately.

Oh brockstar, good thing you got outta there. I'd be very upset if they ruined your hair. Your hair is like my "after" fantasy that I hold on to during this transition thing.

Put it in writing...I know people are like "I woulda done this and that" but for real, I would have had to get that one...and I'm PMS'ing too?

THE POWER OF THE PEN

:nono:

I wouldn't even have let her put her hands in my head as soon as 'I don't know if I can do this' came out..... no sir - not even for a wash. I need someone who knows PRECISELY what they are doing in my head - esp. if I'm giving them some of my hard earned money.

From the sounds of it, she really didn't WANT to do your hair, and didn't know of an appropriate way to turn a customer away.

In anything that you write, I would include a suggestion of phrases/professional words they can use when people come in with hair that they are inexperienced in handling - that would keep everyone involved happier, I would think.

You did the right thing! But I'm with the other ladies, I think the company should know about your experience, they can't keep getting away with this harassment.

Last edited:
Please contact their home office. That girl gave other good and professional stylist a bad name and we don't need that. Also, it was somewhat racist and I know that company doesn't want to be represented in that type of light.:ohwell:

WTH???!:shocked: Are you SERIOUS??!! :nono::nono::nono:

Yep, some Baltimore people may know more about it. Around 2003-2004, some women joined together to file a suit against Hair Cuttery for charging women more for hair cuts, charging for extra conditioner, and wearing gloves while washing our hair and not when washing others' hair.

I don't know the outcome of the case, but I do remember Hair Cuttery coming out and making some type of statement affirming their commitment to doing all hair.

So yeah: I learned to hard way to only go in there w/ dry straight hair. I don't even let them flatiron it :nono: Serena's my girl w/ the trims & shaping though :up:

What??? see this is why I feel the way I do about a lot of "others" in various situations. People constantly give them the benefit of the doubt saying they don't know any better or say WE are just being sensitive, no they are disrespectful in nature and have no problem displaying it. This kind of behavior happens on all levels and SHOULD NOT be tolerated under ANY circumstances.

I glad the OP and others have handled these disrespectful encounters with class, bravo ladies. Writing letter to the headquarters is the way to get attention, not dealing with the low level local area where an incident occurred.

sunshinelady said:
I agree. A suit was filed against Hair Cuttery in MD for similar behavior. They were charging sistas extra and wearing gloves to wash their hair.

Last edited:
Back