Now I am confused..HELP!

allabouthair

I guess my co-workers had too much time on their hands trying to explain to me what I might be doing wrong. Sometimes it looks like my hair is growing but now I am wondering if I may be doing something wrong. I could have gotten great results, longer, thicker hair if only...if only I stop wearing this 3/4 wig. Now tell me. Is this true?. I have been been wearing it for five months straight... every single day. My co-worker mentioned that I need to let my hair breath. Is she correct?.Could this be the reason why I am not already at shoulder length completely?. I need your help!. I thought I was doing a good thing but now I am confused................:perplexed

Oh!.. I need to add that I remove it every night and wash and deep con every week. I dont sleep with it on but i wear it all day until I get ready for bed...:yawn:

Need more info.

How do u have your hair under the wig-

Do you leave hair out on the sides and front-

how do you wear your hair to sleep and do you moistureize and wrap or cover what-

Many people wear braids for months and get good growth I think it depends on how you care for your hair when you put on the wig and take off the wig. The other thing is making sure you are not getting breakage from the combs in the wig. HTH

I can’t say from personal experience. But my close friend from college wore those ½ wigs everyday. I mean everrryyday. She started wearing them after a big trim and thought by wearing wigs everyday would help her retain length. Well her hair grew a lil bit in the beginning. She was pretty much doing everything right like washing weekly. But months later she started complaining how her hair was breaking off and didn’t feel the way it once was. Now I can tell u for a fact that my friend eventually got lazy and prob skipped days to moisturize and slapped that wig on her already dried up hair. (even tho she won’t admit it) But now she’s back at the same length she started.

Now I don’t wear wigs so I’m not one to judge. But if I did, I’d prob. alternate btwn a wig and my real hair. They may have a point about letting ur hair and scalp breathe. However it also comes down to how well ur keeping up ur hair when it’s inside the wig.

So aside from washing weekly what do u do to your hair at night when u take ur wig off? Are you moisturizing at all?

I have been wearing a full laced wig for a few months and have achieved GREAT (consistent) growth! I have my hair twisted underneath, and I ALWAYS wear a wig cap, use a leave-in everyday, put castor oil on my ends daily (or every other day), put my MTG or oils on 2-3x/week, deep condition weekly hotoil 2x/mo and keep up on my vitamins. I only wear the wig when I am outside so I can give my scalp some air while in the comfort of my home :grin:

I say all that to say, I am not so sure that wigs are responsible for stunting growth but more so hair care (or lack thereof) that can affect growth. Constant heat in efforts to make the hair blend in w/ a partial wig could affect growth. Not oiling, moisturing, deep conditioning, etc... Could also affect growth. However it could very well be that a wig just doesn't agree w/ certain people (my hair HATES weaves and my ends can't take micros anymore :nono:)

I don't know what your regimen is, but pay attention to what you are doing when your hair is growing and when it is not; then you can properly assess what the culprit might be. If its the wig give it a break if not continue trouble shooting :yep:

Best Wishes to You,
NaturalJoy

P.S. If you take your wig off while you are at home your hair should most definitely be able to breath. Now, you friends/colleagues could be referring to the consistent wearing of one style but that applies to all styles, however even that theory is contrevesial. At the end of the day you just need to get to know your hair (what is likes and dislikes)

Thank you so much for your replies.

I moisturize to some extent every evening after removing my wig. Every other day I will sit and completely moisturize my scalp and hair. On the days that I do not go through this long process, I spray some s-curl moisturizer. My hair is always braided underneath so I guess I did not htink it was so bad. My hair actually does not look too bad but I know it could grow alot faster and HAS grown alot faster in the past. I am kicking myself thinking of all the lush hair I could have had. I guess I need to try and find some styles that I feel comfortable wearing on my own hair. After wearing a weave or wig for so long..your natural hair just does not feel right....Slap me someone..But ya'll know what I mean.:yep:

Thank you so much for your replies.

I moisturize to some extent every evening after removing my wig. Every other day I will sit and completely moisturize my scalp and hair. On the days that I do not go through this long process, I spray some s-curl moisturizer. My hair is always braided underneath so I guess I did not htink it was so bad. My hair actually does not look too bad but I know it could grow alot faster and HAS grown alot faster in the past. I am kicking myself thinking of all the lush hair I could have had. I guess I need to try and find some styles that I feel comfortable wearing on my own hair. After wearing a weave or wig for so long..your natural hair just does not feel right....Slap me someone..But ya'll know what I mean.:yep:

You seem to take pretty good care of your hair. have you changed anything else? Do you take vitamins (Hair, Skin and Nail) and/or use any growth aids? If not you should consider that to assist you in your growing process! :yep:

As for you styles. Do what you feel comfortable in and what works for you. Just make sure you properly care for your hair and protect it as best you can in w/e style you chose to wear.

Happy Hair Growing!!! :grin:

I don't know why co-workers feel the need to stick their nose in things that aren't their business :grin:. Anyway, to me it seems like you are taking good care of your hair. If anything, the wig is PROTECTING your hair so that it can grow longer. You aren't manipulating it during the day, and their for it has no chance to break on you. And as long as you are washing it regularly and deep conditioning it, you're fine. And you even said that it has been growing, so don't let those co-workers make you doubt your routine. You know what's best for your hair, and there's nothing wrong with your routine. If you noticed that your hair has grown faster in the past, you may want to consider your diet and if you are getting enough nutrients. Also, you could add scalp stimulation to your nightly routine to stimulate your follicles.

You guys are the best.. I swear..so much encouragement.:clap:. I try taking vitamins every now and then( flaxseed, centrum, hair skin and nails,MSM, everything I read here thats working for others I buy) but I hate taking pills so I am not consitent with it. I make protein shakes very often and I just drank the last drop of my home-made carrot juice. The only thing I think I have a huge problem doing is drinking water. I know...I know...:hammer:..but I am trying:drunk:

I don't know why co-workers feel the need to stick their nose in things that aren't their business :grin:. Anyway, to me it seems like you are taking good care of your hair. If anything, the wig is PROTECTING your hair so that it can grow longer. You aren't manipulating it during the day, and their for it has no chance to break on you. And as long as you are washing it regularly and deep conditioning it, you're fine. And you even said that it has been growing, so don't let those co-workers make you doubt your routine. You know what's best for your hair, and there's nothing wrong with your routine. If you noticed that your hair has grown faster in the past, you may want to consider your diet and if you are getting enough nutrients. Also, you could add scalp stimulation to your nightly routine to stimulate your follicles.

I feel you on that comment!. I deal with it everyday.:perplexed

Back