Not thick, fine but DENSE!

cmw45

Anyone know what I'm talking about? Everyone thinks that I have thick hair but my strands are actually very fine...I just have a lot of them. I just took my hair out of braids for a quick flat iron and trim and the woman who cut my hair (she did a good job btw) mentioned that I have fine but dense hair. I notice that a lot of women claim to have fine not very dense hair (looks "thin" but I say less dense since "thin" would describe the thickness of the actual strands). Anyone else have fine dense hair?

This is me!!!! I am finding that I am more medium in some areas but in general I have a head full of fine hair. It looks thick especially when I air dry.

I have a lot of clients with hair like that. I would almost put myself in the fine category but I think I am fine and 1/2. Sort of in between fine and medium. LOL

When people have hair like this it appears to be thick when you look at the overall appearance but when the individual strands are examined it is obvious that the diameter is not thick at all.

This is me!!!! I am finding that I am more medium in some areas but in general I have a head full of fine hair. It looks thick especially when I air dry.

Yup. :yep:

I have a lot of clients with hair like that. I would almost put myself in the fine category but I think I am fine and 1/2. Sort of in between fine and medium. LOL

When people have hair like this it appears to be thick when you look at the overall appearance but when the individual strands are examined it is obvious that the diameter is not thick at all.

YESSSSSSSSS! Ugh, unfortunately because of the weather in D.C. I've only been able to spend a couple of days in Atlanta but the next time I make a visit back to the GA your shop will be the first stop on my list. :yep:

My hair is a bunch of strands its not quite thick or fine, its a bit of everything. I'd say it is fine - medium with some thick strands but it is definately dense!

I'm definitely in the same boat as everyone here! It makes detangling so difficult because there's so much to get through, but the individual strands aren't very strong. Gotta be EXTRA EXTRA careful. :(

I'm definitely in the same boat as everyone here! It makes detangling so difficult because there's so much to get through, but the individual strands aren't very strong. Gotta be EXTRA EXTRA careful. :(

You hit the nail on the head! Detangle is something else!

OMG, YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! This is exactly what I am talking about. There is so much hair but the strands are so fragile it takes forever because you have to be so gentle. I went roughly through it a year ago when I was stressed and in a hurry and I had a lot of breakage in a small section in the back. It's taken me a year to fully recover and I still have a bit to go.

Yes! And I'm always afraid to straighten it because I'm afraid it will look thin.

I flat iron, then do a roller set with perm rods to give it body. Combed straight down, my hair looks thin. Put a little curl in it, full city.

My thin stranded, dense hair is the reason my braids look anorexic, but my braid outs are huge. :yep:

Count me in too ladies! This past stretch, I realized that I must listen to my hair more b/c detangling was often times a disaster due to the newgrowth.

Since becoming natural i really see how fine my strands are. Im glad it's kinda dense because otherwise I would look scalped:ohwell: I find hairstylists have a hard time making my hair look like it has life to it.

I flat iron, then do a roller set with perm rods to give it body. Combed straight down, my hair looks thin. Put a little curl in it, full city.

My thin stranded, dense hair is the reason my braids look anorexic, but my braid outs are huge. :yep:

:grin::lachen: Please get out of my head and hair.

Count me in! I now understand that's why I was never sucessful at maintaining length when I was relaxed. I can never wear my twist out because it looks so anorexic, but when it's undone it looks extremely full. Also build up happens so fast and I can't use any heavy products. What have others found (products, technique, etc) that work well for this type of hair?

I think I thanked like every post in this thread, so I'm definitely a member of the club! :yep:

Any fine haired sisters notice that SSK's are more of a problem for you because of it?

Since becoming natural i really see how fine my strands are. Im glad it's kinda dense because otherwise I would look scalped:ohwell: I find hairstylists have a hard time making my hair look like it has life to it.

Yeah! Stylists were always complaining when I used to go to them and telling me what my hair couldn't do. I'd pick out a style and they would be like, "your hair won't do that" :(

Hey, anyone else ever notice that the deceiving full look will cause some people to be extra rough with your hair thinking your hair can "take it"?

Story of my life it seems. When I would go to stylists to get weaves they would only leave out a little hair on top thinking it'll cover the tracks. Then when they straighten it they would see how fine my hair really was.

I just always assumed I had thin hair. Now I see it's my strands that are fine. And like the lady said above I have to be careful when I detangle or else it's snap city. My hair breaks easily. I get split ends easily too.

YES!!! This is why I have had so many set back with stylist. They think my hair is thick and can with stand anything but the actual strand is thin and can't take the same techniques as a thick strand hence my set backs. ;(

Yes! I'm stretching and hoping to get a fuller look. I am now on week 10. Lawd, I feel like a need to slap a perm on these naps. But when I go to the salon she says, "your hair so thin, mommy, you no really need it." I switched to affirm and I'm stretching for 12 weeks if I can without breaking my hair off.

Back