Not being able to wear scarves in the gym?

what kind of stupid idiotic dumb arse policy is that? How can you not wear a sweatband? That is included accessory of exercise gear?

This is why I work out at home

I love April she is cool, glad she told them off coz it's stupid

Wow. That is seriously the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

I love April...this chick in Wrangler jeans... :lachen:

Its a policy that I have brought up a number of times because its not evenly enforced in the NY/NJ area. Its halfheartedly enforced in certain neighborhoods of NY but not mentioned at all in other areas such as Rockland County where there is a large orthodox/Hassaic Jewish population where head coverings are popular.

It really is one of the more offensive things about their policies.

Last edited:
sounds like they are trying to discriminate based on religion and race. I smell a lawsuit in their future.

I have officially lost it at proving you are Muslim. This policy was created to protect the innocent white people from being terrified of black people in their 'gang' wear. This is nothing but racism.

What the hell. I been to that gym, and I see plenty of people wearing scarves. This is definitely discrimination.

Last edited:
how are you going to prove that you are muslim like wtf do I am muslim not praticing one though but would I have to wear my pendant with Allah's name written in arabic everytime I want to work out and wear a headscarf.

What the hell. I been to that gym, and I see plenty of people wearing scarves. This is definitely discrimination.

This is exactly the issue I have. Sometimes the employees will say something as the person walks in (it is a posted policy). However, MOST times they will not say a thing.

It truly is a policy that needs to disappear as there really is no way for their employees to enforce the policy without running into issues. They bill themselves as a "Judgement Free zone" which directly contradicts their policies since they single out a "certain element".

Why did he wait so long to say something to her? He was cool when she walked in but I think she's right when she was saying the other gym people were scared of her. What a freakin shame.

Is there a safety hazard in wearing a scarf/sweatband or is that just their crazy policy?

I like her.

But yeah, I've been told a scarf (not headband, bandana, or do-rag) was offensive in a restaurant, a gym, a couple of other places too. It's stupid. And yes, it was always after I noticed some body stomping to the front or whispering to the places staff while glancing nervously in my direction. Smh... or sometimes, living in a small Louisiana town, they just point and say it real loud.

Absolutely absurd. So, what if she really had to wear that for religious reasons? I cannot imagine that the headscarf would be offensive. And, yeah... the tats and all made her appear "ghetto" and they don't want that element in the gym.

That's crazy, esp. since as someone mentioned Hasidic women cover their hair too. They might be less likely to visit a mainstream gym, but it's still possible. I wonder if anyone would be ignorant enough to assume that anyone wearing a head covering for religious reasons is always a Muslim.
And then there are those of us who just do it to keep things in check.

I REALLY don't understand not being able to wear a SWEATband in a place where EVERYONE sweats.

I love how she decided to leave before she became another stereotype...but when she said, "...and I'm not about to be the one to go down, because you know they'll call the police on a b!tch so I ain't tryna go to jail" I laughed so hard because that's some stuff my mom would say in a situation like that and April reminds me of my mom so much...she can be sweet, she's smart and takes care of her family...but she can go off...I mean, pop off.

What's the reasoning for these policies? How exactly is somebody "offended" by a scarf?

That's some !@#$% right there.

Wow...I love April. They were wrong for bothering hair about the scarf. Like she said, who care. I agree it was about more than her scarf. They're just uncomfortable with her as a person. That's BS.

Absolutely absurd. So, what if she really had to wear that for religious reasons? I cannot imagine that the headscarf would be offensive. And, yeah... the tats and all made her appear "ghetto" and they don't want that element in the gym.

Half the population in this country have tats. Is this a gym for old people? Somebody needs to check them. With a lawsuit.

Back