Nobody told me tea rinse feels like protein!!

Lava27

Wowsers! :blush::blush: Just prepooed and washed and rinsed my hair with black tea before my DC. This is my first time tea rinsing and I was hoping to combat shedding. But I was not prepared for this BRICK HARD feeling though!!

Honestly my hair feels like I just mixed Aphogee 2 step + emergencee + Dudley's DRC all together and put on my head.:wallbash::wallbash: BRICK I tell yell! Scared the Heck outta me! I left the rinse on about 3 min or so in the shower and then rinsed it. I'm also trying out Banana Brulee Condish for the first time tonite, so hoping my softness will return. Anyone else get this feeling after washing out a tea rinse???

Tea has tannins in it, doesn't it? So it has something in common with a lot of the Ayurvedic powders like Henna - which largely acts like a protein.

Oh wow Urban! Thanks for that. I know that tea does for sure have tannins in it. So these tannins are also in the Ayuverdic powders?

So the final verdict is VERY soft hair!:grin: That Banana Brulee is GREAT! Not sure why it's not more hyped. I think it's mainly due to this condish, but it could be the tea as well. Anyway, I definitely will tea rinse again, but for me it is very much like a protien treatment. My hair feels waaaaay thicker, which is soo odd. Good odd, but something im not used to achieving with one time product use.

Also, it's very shiny. I definitely think the tea did this. The color also looks a bit tinted, a bit brownish/red?? Is this normal? I thought if anything it would make your hair darker, but I'm ok with this. Anyway, all is good. But beware some ladies, if you are NOT looking for a protien treatment feel, you may wanna watch it with the tea rinsing. I'm happy with this thick hair though. We'll see how my hair acts the rest of the week! :yep:

Oh yeah...my waves ( i don't really have many curls, but I have waves in my newly "texlaxed area" are more defined...cool :) )

Just thought about it, the mega shine could be from the honey I put in my pre-poo?? Sigh:ohwell:.......this is what happens when I try to many new things on my hair all in the same night..hair confusion. But whatever it was, hair is blingin :) One thing though, the main thing I wanted to stop, which was shedding, didn't seem any different than before tea rinse...hmmmmm

I am so glad you posted this, and am equally glad I read it. I would have been shocked. I was gonna try a tea rinse for the first time this morning.

Wow this is very interesting...i read something about a tea rinse before but i guess i didn't realize you can use regular ole tea you buy at the store.

Mj11051- you said you use herbs for your rinse- which herbs do you use.

And how exactly would you use this? Would you steep this and then pour it over your hair, do you have to let it soak? Can you use regular tea bags and if so can you use any type of tea? I have lots of diff. flavored green tea bags and diif herbal teas from celestial seasonings so I'm wondering if i can do this.
Sorry for the 101 questions. TIA

I've been tea rinsing for years now and haven't ever had the results you had, but it is a possibility that your hair has a sensitivity to caffeine. For some it's beneficial, for others it's not.

The outcome of your tea or tisane rinse will largely depend on what you use to rinse your hair with. . .

Green tea- antioxidant, promotes shine, adds strength
Chamomile- conditioning, adds shine and body
Sage-scalp tonic, conditioning, strengthening and darkening
Nettle- scalp tonic, promotes growth
Rosemary- stimulates growth, darkening, and promotes shine

The ones listed above are widely used and have well documented results. If you do choose to experiment with other herbs, do your research first. And always, always, always patch test- allergies are no joke so be safe.

Yeah. I did one on Sat and my hair tangled. I had to reapply Knot Today (a lot) in order to detangle it. I didn't see any reduction in shedding. I'm not sure what stage to use it. did prepoo, poo, DC+ knot today, TEA RINSE. Then I had to start all over with the knot today and let it sit for a minute.

I'm not giving up on it yet. I'll give it a couple more tries.

Thanks for the warning. I was really looking forward to trying this. :ohwell: My hair hates protein, which is why I can get away with doing it once a year.

I havent noticed any hardness. Sunday I did a rinse with nettle tea, horsetail, rosemary, chamomile and calendula herbs after dc. I let the rinse sit for about an hour with a plastic cap. Actually I thought my hair was a little stretchy when I rinsed.

Yeah. I did one on Sat and my hair tangled. I had to reapply Knot Today (a lot) in order to detangle it. I didn't see any reduction in shedding. I'm not sure what stage to use it. did prepoo, poo, DC+ knot today, TEA RINSE. Then I had to start all over with the knot today and let it sit for a minute.

I'm not giving up on it yet. I'll give it a couple more tries.

I've had a lot of success with tea rinsing. I normally do it in this order:

co-wash > Protein > Co-rinse > Tea Rinse + DC > Final Rinse

Wowsers! :blush::blush: Just prepooed and washed and rinsed my hair with black tea before my DC. This is my first time tea rinsing and I was hoping to combat shedding. But I was not prepared for this BRICK HARD feeling though!!

Honestly my hair feels like I just mixed Aphogee 2 step + emergencee + Dudley's DRC all together and put on my head.:wallbash::wallbash: BRICK I tell yell! Scared the Heck outta me! I left the rinse on about 3 min or so in the shower and then rinsed it. I'm also trying out Banana Brulee Condish for the first time tonite, so hoping my softness will return. Anyone else get this feeling after washing out a tea rinse???

I did my first one today and had the same feeling! It was weird and hard like i'd done a protein treatment. :bricks:

I prepooed, shampooed etc and then I did the tea rinse. I left the rinse in whilst I showered etc, did my DC, leave ins, sealed etc...WOW my hair is so soft and shiny, I can't believe it! :woot: :lick:

It feels strong and thick and it was a really nice colour in the sun! Definite staple for me! :cup:

I used regular black teabags. Just one brewed for about 10 mins
Is it considered a protein treatment or does it just have a strengthening effect? is it safe to do weekly?

I did my first one today and had the same feeling! It was weird and hard like i'd done a protein treatment. :bricks:

I prepooed, shampooed etc and then I did the tea rinse. I left the rinse in whilst I showered etc, did my DC, leave ins, sealed etc...WOW my hair is so soft and shiny, I can't believe it! :woot: :lick:

It feels strong and thick and it was a really nice colour in the sun! Definite staple for me! :cup:

I used regular black teabags. Just one brewed for about 10 mins
Is it considered a protein treatment or does it just have a strengthening effect? is it safe to do weekly?

Bumping because I would like to know the answer to the bolded.How often are you ladies doing these tea rinses?Can you still do ACV w/ tea rinsing?(I use poo bars that I need to do ACV,hard water)

Just thought about it, the mega shine could be from the honey I put in my pre-poo?? Sigh:ohwell:.......this is what happens when I try to many new things on my hair all in the same night..hair confusion. But whatever it was, hair is blingin :) One thing though, the main thing I wanted to stop, which was shedding, didn't seem any different than before tea rinse...hmmmmm

I think that perhaps tea rinses only curbs shedding when done frequently. Say on a weekly basis. At least, that's what I've found. If you don't feel like doing a full tea rinse, it might be beneficial to make a spritz with a tea that contains caffeine (like black tea or green tea), which might help curb the shedding and keep your hair nice and soft. :yep:

Hmmm, looks like I will be mixing my next henna treatment with tea instead of plain distilled water. I am 25 weeks into my relaxer stretch and I could definitely use the extra strengthening properties on my fine strands:yep:. I always do overnight DCs after using henna on my hair so this should not be a problem.

Back