No Shampoo method

Kayluv

For those of you who do not use shampoo, can you tell me what the purpose is? Do you really get your hair clean? What has your results been?

Thanks.

On naturallycurly there is a pro/con debate between 2 stylists on the benefit or lackthereof of the no poo method.

Kayluv said:
For those of you who do not use shampoo, can you tell me what the purpose is? Do you really get your hair clean? What has your results been?

Thanks.

Kayluv said:

Thanks.

Or are you talking about a co wash where you use conditioner instead of shampoo? I've tried it once. I think most ladies here that use it get their hair pretty clean.

I know VWvixxen is using this method. She cleans her scalp with a mixture of alma and shikakia powders I believe. I also think Cichelle does this as well.

imstush said:
I know VWvixxen is using this method. She cleans her scalp with a mixture of alma and shikakia powders I believe. I also think Cichelle does this as well.

Yepper pepper!! I'm very happy with my current regimen.

The benefits I've seen so far going into 4 solids week with no conventional shampooing:

• Hair is gently cleansed without that 'stripped' feeling,
  • Hair doesn't feel coated (like with CON shampoo (green bottle),
  • I don't need to clarify my hair,
  • I have SIGNIFICANTLY less breakage and shedding,
  • and I have to use less styling products.

The only time I plan on shampooing is after a relaxer retouch. ETA: I use this herbal wash 2 to 3 times a week because I workout 6 days a week and perspiration NORMALLY wreaks havoc on my tresses...not any more! :woot:

I have hand in hair disease but this time it's because my hair feels so nice!

VWVixxen said:
Yepper pepper!! I'm very happy with my current regimen.

The benefits I've seen so far going into 4 solids week with no conventional shampooing:
  • Hair is gently cleansed without that 'stripped' feeling,
  • Hair doesn't feel coated (like with CON shampoo (green bottle),
  • I don't need to clarify my hair,
  • I have SIGNIFICANTLY less breakage and shedding,
  • and I have to use less styling products.
The only time I plan on shampooing is after a relaxer retouch. ETA: I use this herbal wash 2 to 3 times a week because I workout 6 days a week and perspiration NORMALLY wreaks havoc on my tresses...not any more! :woot:

I have hand in hair disease but this time it's because my hair feels so nice!

Thanks VWVixxen, I am considering giving this a try.

What conditioner do you use for your co wash? Is one conditioner, or one type of conditioner better than another?

I haven't used shampoo to wash, only conditioner for about the last two years (except for relaxers, and my last was over a year ago). My scalp has been clean and healthy has not itched or flaked since I started. My hair is soft and does not get buildup from styling products.

I'm a natural and i have been doing co-washes now for about a year. I have been using Tresemme vit E moisture rich and that has been great. I also use what ever conditioners are on sale like Vo5 or Sept store brands or suave (my fav) i find that my hair is soft and not tangled alot.
i deep con with Queen Helene cholesterol or I henna around every 2 weeks
The only shampoo i have used in the last 2 weeks is Giovanni and a little bit of that goes a long way. Giovanni conditioner is nice too, but i find it more effective after the shampoo. Co washes have saved my hair and it is clean and smells good, especially when using the sulphur mixes.

Back