No perm, highlights, what do I start??? I'm overwhelmed!

Millyj

Hello all I'm new here and I've been surfing the forums for a couple days and I have to be honest that sometimes I get overwhelmed with what to do and what not to do with my hair. I'm trying different products that work for me but I am at a sort of "crossroad". My sister put blonde highlights in my hair about 5.5 months ago and so that is the only chemical in my hair. I had to resort to doing my own hair/hair care once I moved away from my sister.

I don't have a perm and I haven't had one in over 15 years and don't want to get one because of the highlights. BUT, I've seen many of you get relaxers with long stretches and your hair is flourishing so beautifully!
I want my hair to grow longer and so I've resorted to wearing my hair curly with leave in conditioner (mixed chicks), giving myself DC's every Saturday, rolling my hair w/satin pillow rollers when I flat iron my hair, sleeping on satin pillow cases, putting my hair in twist rods at night with a bit of leave in product so it can have a nice little wave to it in the mornings..etc. I've purchased Keracare moisturing head dress, Ken Pave's hair serum, Argan oil, Morrocan Oil, Aphogee 2 min reconstructor which I use for the highlights, Aphogee essential oil for my hot oil treatments...etc. I guess I am getting SO much information that I'm becoming mind twisted on what exactly to do. :wallbash: I don't even know the acronyms for my hair texture?! lol - All I know is that my hair is about 1.5 - 2 inches away from BSL

Does ANYONE have any advice on how to keep my motivation up to achieve my goal for WSL? Where should I start, what did you do to keep your motivation? Any key advice! I'm overwhelmed! :nono:

Keeping up with the DC's is my best suggestion! I would also try protective styli g so that you can retain your length. I think thosse are the key elements. I just got higlights around new years. I also just relaxed this past weekend. Moisturizing deep conditioners have really helped my hair alot, along with mild protein treatments. Keep coming on here and you'll get all the motivation you need

keep it simple, I know on here you can end up going product crazy with all the product references, but stick with what works for you.
find a good shampoo and conditioner and a good leave in, you have several good hair oils I wouldn't buy anymore,

your already deep conditioning weekly which is good, maybe once a month do a light protein treatment like nexxus emergencee, just to keep your hair perfect and in tip top shape since you have highlights.

to keep those highlights fresh in between i'd do a glossing treatment like Jazzing clear gloss for shine and to keep the highlights from going dull.

your hair looks great by the way so you don't really need to do much and you already have great habits.

with the highlights you need lots of moisture but your already doing that.

Back