No More See-Thro Ends

scorpio

To all of you who might be experiencing this problem-I think I have found a solution. When I first posted at this hair forum-the old one back in August, it was about see-thro ends and how to eliminate that. Well, it has been about 16 months since I had to get 3-4 inches cut due to see-thro ends ( a major heart-break), and I can safely say that this problem did not recur this year. I am also one of those two-lefties when it comes to styling and the only thing I can do right is wrap my hair (currently right above BS), which I have been doing for 5 years now. Anyhow, after posting in August, I got a few tips from some of the wonderful ladies here that made a huge difference in the thickness of my hair at the ends. In addition, I made some changes of my own that I know have contributed..

-Alternate how you wrap---left to right one night and right to left the next (This one came from SweetCocoa I think)

This is my own routine that I have adopted:
(Starting with freshly-washed and roller-set hair)

DAY 1: After your hair is freshly washed and roller set, that same night, instead of wrapping your hair, pile all your length on top of your head in one loose pile of curls, secure in a pony-tail using a scrunchie, wrap a satin scarf around your head and finger style in the morning. This is excellent for keeping your curls without having to wear rollers and it does work. Make sure you use just a little bit of your fav. oil on the hair-just a dab.

DAY 2: Wrap your hair at night as usual. You will still have lots of body because of the curls you have retained from the roller set. Instead of wrapping with a comb, I now use a paddle brush and loosely wrap the hair.

DAY 3: OIL THOSE ENDS!!! Wrap your hair in the opposite direction.

DAY 4: Wrap your hair in the same direction as you did on day 2.

DAY 5: OK. No more wrapping for the rest of this week. Instead, oil those ends just a little bit more, give yourself a good scalp massage, pin that hair up loosely with a bobby pin (think flip) and put your scarf on.

DAY 6: Same as Day 5. You could probably get away without the oil because by this time, it is oily anyway.

DAY 7: Time to wash your hair and condition (unless you wash 2x weekly). Unfortunately, I have no time to wash 2x weekly, but once a week works fine for me unless I have been exercising a lot.

This is my weekly routine for weeks 1-3 after a relaxer. On weeks 4 and 5, I have started to get my hair cornrowed or wearing twists in the front with straight hair. So on weeks 4 and 5, there is no wrapping going on. This not only eliminates stress from wrapping, but it mainly helps me to cope with the new growth since there is no real manipulation of the hair going on (i.e. combing). At week 6, I relax and start this routine again.

I am also trying to retain my length and keep my ends thicker too. So far, following these steps has helped me to do that much better than in the past.

Thanks for posting your regime. I also use the scrunchie ponytail method to maintain my curls following a roller set. It works wonders to keep the curls!

This is a great regime... I've cut back on the number of times I wrap also. I only do it now after I roller set(once a week). I like the way you switch things up...keeps you from getting 'bored' with keeping your hair healthy(like not giving in to the curling iron or blow dryer for a quick fix).

Wow! Im glad I found this old thread. Ive always had a problem with see-through ends. Im going to have to try these things to get thicker ends.
smile.gif

Ladies I currently have braids but will be taking them out soon. And this is a little off topic but how do I rollerset my own hair? What methods are you ladies using to keep ends from being frizzy? Do you air dry? Also what type of rollers are you using? TIA for all tips.

[ QUOTE ]
TBird said:
Ladies I currently have braids but will be taking them out soon. And this is a little off topic but how do I rollerset my own hair? What methods are you ladies using to keep ends from being frizzy? Do you air dry? Also what type of rollers are you using? TIA for all tips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use magnetic rollers. Rollersetting your own hair takes practice. When someone rollersets your hair for u, watch how they do it and try to do it yourself...thats what I did.
To keep my ends from being frizzy, I apply oils and a glossing polish to my ends at night and sometimes in the morning.
I either airdry or sit under a hooded dryer for my rollersets. If I dont want to wear a rollerset, I just blowdry my hair.

when u pile the curls on the top of your head after roller-setting how do you wrap the scarf? Over your whole head or do you wrap it around your head so that the top of your head (where the ponytail is) is not covered? This sounds like a method I would like to try cuz after rollersetting I can't maintain the curls, thas why I just end up wrapping it

[ QUOTE ]
NYCQT16 said:
when u pile the curls on the top of your head after roller-setting how do you wrap the scarf? Over your whole head or do you wrap it around your head so that the top of your head (where the ponytail is) is not covered? This sounds like a method I would like to try cuz after rollersetting I can't maintain the curls, thas why I just end up wrapping it

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like to know this as well...anyone that does this method, can u please give insight? I dont wanna wrap my hair around my head, I wanna keep my curls sometimes.
smile.gif

OK, I'm convinced to stop with all the wrapping (i know i know I said this last month, but I went back to wrapping a couple of nights /images/graemlins/sekret.gif )

Now since my hair (or roots I should say) aren't as straight I don't wrap at night anyway, but after I rollerset I usually do wrap, so can anyone post a pic of the piling hair on the top of the head and putting a scarf on. I can't picture this in my head.

Co-sign...this is what I'm getting...just gathering the hair after a rollerset up and slapping a scrunchie around the hair...like a ponytail on the top of your head.

Is that it???

Thanks for the bump, it will help me with my wrapping technique when I straighthen my hair (Dominican blowout).

Ever since I joined this forum and found out that wrapping thins hair, I stopped. The only time that I do wrap is when I fully straigthen my hair, which is rare as well.

Chichi /images/graemlins/bdance.gif

Wrapping thins hair??? Definately not true.
Well not for me.
It gives the Appearance of thin hair. Thats what I like, because my hair is extremely thick and I hate the thick look that everyone seems to love.
I have been wrapping my hair since I was 15 years old. I am 31 now. I wrap every single night, sometimes twice a day or leave it in all weekend. Its still thick as ever if I don't wrap it. My hair also grows really fast from wrapping.

[ QUOTE ]
sylver2 said:
Wrapping thins hair??? Definately not true.
Well not for me.
It gives the Appearance of thin hair. Thats what I like, because my hair is extremely thick and I hate the thick look that everyone seems to love.
I have been wrapping my hair since I was 15 years old. I am 31 now. I wrap every single night, sometimes twice a day or leave it in all weekend. Its still thick as ever if I don't wrap it. My hair also grows really fast from wrapping.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....my cousin wraps all the time too...and her hair is thick as I don't know what...at the ends too...
hmmm...she also uses Mane and Tail *cough*

[ QUOTE ]
sylver2 said:
I have been wrapping my hair since I was 15 years old. I am 31 now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Offtopic but...
/images/graemlins/shocked.gif sylver2...you are 31!?!?! I thought you were in your 20's!?!?!

[ QUOTE ]
Offtopic but...
sylver2...you are 31!?!?! I thought you were in your 20's!?!?!

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh Bless you/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanks..but I wish

From my experience, wrapping my hair has caused one side to be longer than the other. I think because I wrap too tightly and don't switch up the directions, it causes stress on different sections, leading to breakage.

[ QUOTE ]
sylver2 said:
I have been wrapping my hair since I was 15 years old. I am 31 now.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are not 31. No way. Are you sure you're 31?

lol, yes i am really 31, Married with a 13 yr old daughter.

I know I have always wrapped my hair from the same side, no switching sides or anything. I part in the back and bring it forward to my right. Done this for years. No bobby pins.
Then wrap up with scarf.
I think I would just die if I wasn't able to wrap my hair,lol.

Back