No longer bald..... (Or: "The Road to Recovery")

UmSumayyah

No longer bald..... (Or: \"The Road to Recovery\")

Some of you may remember that after a very bad relaxer a year ago, (Overlapped all the way to the ends by a clearly incompetent stylist at JCP /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif) I cut my hair several times, the last time hacking it off to ear-length.

This meant going from below shoulder length hair (a few inches away from bra-strap), which I had never before achieved in my life /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif to ear. I was quite hair-depressed, and dropped off the hairboard almost completely. I kept my too-short-for-a-ponytail hair cornrowed (no extensions), only taking it out once every 2-3 weeks to comb and wash (although I did condition-wash it in braids).

No hot oil, no deep conditioning, nothing special. It was too upsetting to handle or think about so I kept it almost constantly covered, even in the house.
When I hacked it all off it was July and I was almost due for a touch-up, but I let touchup time come and go because I just couldn't handle it.
I touched up a few days ago and WOW! My hair is already hanging a little below chin-length! I no longer feel bald!
I'm back reading the hairboard and back to my deep-conditionings and all that good stuff. I can make it back to my former length and beyond. I know I can!
Even after a HUUUUGE setback, I did it. To anyone with setbacks, my hair is growing back and yours is too!

I can't tell you how overjoyed I was at the sight of my hair getting long. It was like I gained 3 inches in 20 minutes.
"Hope is kindled."

Re: No longer bald..... (Or: \"The Road to Recovery\")

That's great /images/graemlins/clap.gif. I am happy to hear that you are back on track!

Yea. I am glad that things are getting better. Hopefully, you'll be on the brastrap 2006 challenge. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I am happy you are feeling better about your hair and that you are back on the road to hair recovery. This is a great story. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

This is the first thread I have read this morning and it was wonderful and inspirational to read. I am going through my own personal struggle with my hair right now and I need to read these kinds of stories to keep me motivated and focused on my goal.

Thank you for sharing.

candycane

Good news. It is stories like these that keep me motivated. Thanks and congratulations on your progress.

/images/graemlins/up.gif Keep up the good work, Um /images/graemlins/up.gif

I'm so overjoyed for you /images/graemlins/clap.gif reading your testimonials makes me feel more positive about reaching my goals, i went through a simialr experience in march, i had severe breakage and had to cut off my hair, now months later is all grown back near to the length of my hair when it was natural.

Re: No longer bald..... (Or: "The Road to Recovery")

Update:
I just finished touching up my hair and I am now officially at APL. :woot: (And that's even though I have trimmed/cut my hair here and there between when this thread started and today.)
I got my hair back!
(So there, you incompetent stylist!)

UmSumayyah said:
Update:
I just finished touching up my hair and I am now officially at APL. :woot: (And that's even though I have trimmed/cut my hair here and there between when this thread started and today.)
I got my hair back!
(So there, you incompetent stylist!)

What a beautiful story. Congratulations :clap:

Huge congrats on defeating the incompentent stylist! I too am on the road to recovery, except the harpie had me lose everything down to LESS than 1/2 inch!

I'm still about 2 inches from where I was before she got to me.

Keep on growing:)

Congratulations on your achievement. Well deserved.

Back