No curl definition.....

Kinkyhairlady

I have noticed lately that my hair no longer has any curl definition. It used to when it was shorter but since it has been growing I see no definition at all. Now I don't know if it is because of products I use but this is really making me sad. I like to see the little ringlets all over my head but now nothing. I also I have been experiencing a lot of shedding and breakage and I am at a loss cause I do my UBH treatment and moisturize every day. Any ideas on how I can get my curls back? I will just do an aphoghee treatment for the breakage.

I have noticed lately that my hair no longer has any curl definition. It used to when it was shorter but since it has been growing I see no definition at all. Now I don't know if it is because of products I use but this is really making me sad. I like to see the little ringlets all over my head but now nothing. I also I have been experiencing a lot of shedding and breakage and I am at a loss cause I do my UBH treatment and moisturize every day. Any ideas on how I can get my curls back? I will just do an aphoghee treatment for the breakage.

Usually for me, when my curls get lax, its time to clarify (remove any and all old product) and focus on moisture. Moisture is what makes my curls pop. I believe UBH is a medium to heavy protein (correct me if I am wrong), so if you are experiencing more shredding and breakage, you want to consider giving it a break in favor of a deep moisturizing condish for a bit.

Do you have to have curl definition?

Why does everyone want curl definition?

I must be the only one seeking that fluffy, cloudy, huge soft hair.

Well, what's your regimen? There are many things that can make you loose curls that you once had...product overload, heat damage, not enough moisture, etc.

I absolutely love my naturally curly ringlets so if i didnt have them i would feel just like op. i dont think she should just do a braid out and KIM because its not the same.

OP i dont really have any advice because im transitioning and dont really know about the curl pop thing yet but just letting you know to definitely do as the other ladies say and dont give up on your curls.

I noticed no curl defintion when I started using the kinky kurly shampoo and the other day I used Dr. Bonners and it was even worse:( Really the only time I would get ouf of the shower and see my little curls was when I was using Creme of Nature detangling shampoo. I stopped cause I want all my products to be natural but my hair is not reacting well to it at all. The UBH is a light protein but I always follow it up with Humectress so I don't get it. I am still lost but I think I may have to go back to what worked before even if it is not natural.

I noticed no curl defintion when I started using the kinky kurly shampoo and the other day I used Dr. Bonners and it was even worse:( Really the only time I would get ouf of the shower and see my little curls was when I was using Creme of Nature detangling shampoo. I stopped cause I want all my products to be natural but my hair is not reacting well to it at all. The UBH is a light protein but I always follow it up with Humectress so I don't get it. I am still lost but I think I may have to go back to what worked before even if it is not natural.

Dr. Bronner's and Kinky Curly are both a bit drying for me...I think you need more moisture. Also, remember the Humectress has cones, which can be drying for some people. Try a DC with EVOO and honey. Mix them half and half on dry hair (wet is okay too but can get sticky), and leave it on for an hour.

Hi, I actually have had that same problem before! what products do you use? I love the moroccan oil curl control cream. It does a pretty good job of creating definition without weighing the hair down too much!

Hope that helps!:yawn:

You're not the only,

OP, just embrace your hair as it is !

Either way I am going to embrace my hair but when you notice a change you have to question it. It seems you two may think I want my hair to be super curly or something and that is not the case, I like my coils they were cute and I miss them. If I am doing something wrong that is causing my texture to be altered I need to know what it is and how I can have my ususual texture back. Having no curl definition is boring to me, just like straight hair there is nothing to be facinated about that is how I feel about my hair right now.

Either way I am going to embrace my hair but when you notice a change you have to question it. It seems you two may think I want my hair to be super curly or something and that is not the case, I like my coils they were cute and I miss them. If I am doing something wrong that is causing my texture to be altered I need to know what it is and how I can have my ususual texture back. Having no curl definition is boring to me, just like straight hair there is nothing to be facinated about that is how I feel about my hair right now.

Yes that what I thought

Try Amla powder.
I dunno if you henna or if you use lactic(milk whenever the kind) as protein treatment but I've seen and read that it can loosen hair.

It happened to me once, and Amla helped to re- enhance my kinks, to give it more texture :yep:
Personnaly Amla boost, enhance curls and coils.

Yes that what I thought

Try Amla powder.
I dunno if you henna or if you use lactic(milk whenever the kind) as protein treatment but I've seen and read that it can loosen hair.

It happened to me once, and Amla helped to re- enhance my kinks, to give it more texture :yep:
Personnaly Amla boost, enhance curls and coils.

You see I don't want to loosen the texture I liked it the way it was but there is nothing there it is like cotton no curls at all, so I know something is up. I did use Amla oil before washing the other day and a ton of hair came out in my hands, not sure what is up with that. so not only has the texture changed but the shedding has begun.

You see I don't want to loosen the texture I liked it the way it was but there is nothing there it is like cotton no curls at all, so I know something is up. I did use Amla oil before washing the other day and a ton of hair came out in my hands, not sure what is up with that. so not only has the texture changed but the shedding has begun.

OP, it sounds like you are having bigger issues with your hair than curl definition - if your hair is shedding excessively or breaking, you should focus on that FIRST, and then see if your curls come back...

Were you using megatek or MTG? Any vitamins or supplements? I'm worried now.

OP, it sounds like you are having bigger issues with your hair than curl definition - if your hair is shedding excessively or breaking, you should focus on that FIRST, and then see if your curls come back...

Were you using megatek or MTG? Any vitamins or supplements? I'm worried now.

No I never used those things. My hair was in mini twist and before I put them in I used Lenzi Request which I have used for years and beemine holding butter, kimmaytube leave in. While my hair was twisted I used the UBH hair dew mist. That was all I did. Maybe all those products should not be used together? I was thinking that but they are not chemicals and are all natural so I don't see why it would be the root of the problem.

No I never used those things. My hair was in mini twist and before I put them in I used Lenzi Request which I have used for years and beemine holding butter, kimmaytube leave in. While my hair was twisted I used the UBH hair dew mist. That was all I did. Maybe all those products should not be used together? I was thinking that but they are not chemicals and are all natural so I don't see why it would be the root of the problem.

Is UBH this? Black Hair Care products, for growth and maintenance of African American hair, eliminating dry damaged hair that breaks If so, that isn't all natural, but I'm still not sure why your hair would shed...how long were your twists in? It could just be shed hair that built up.

Is UBH this? Black Hair Care products, for growth and maintenance of African American hair, eliminating dry damaged hair that breaks If so, that isn't all natural, but I'm still not sure why your hair would shed...how long were your twists in? It could just be shed hair that built up.

yeah the UBH is not natural, hmm I am not sure. I had the twist for 2 weeks only. I put them in again so next time I take them out I will monitor my hair. I also only twisted with Cantu shea butter and did not use anything else.

yeah the UBH is not natural, hmm I am not sure. I had the twist for 2 weeks only. I put them in again so next time I take them out I will monitor my hair. I also only twisted with Cantu shea butter and did not use anything else.

Okay. It could just be shed hair. Our hair can shed up to 100 hairs a day, so if you have twists in, that's a lot of hair that can build up. Also, when I put my hair in twists, my curl pattern was significantly looser for a day or two after I took them down, even after I washed my hair.

I'm sorry Kinkyhairlady, I just came from another site talking about definition and I was exhausted about how everything sees to be about curl definition in the natural community. I should not have derided your thread. Your case is different.

How about getting a trim? Sometimes the ends of your hair may be fuzzy due to split ends/thining ends which may mask the curls.

I tried to look up the ingredients for all this stuff and couldn't find anything for the Lenzi Request (a growth aid). I still think you may be able to get some relief with a simple clarification of your hair. It could as simple as using clay OR purchasing a clarifying shampoo. Esp if you haven't done one in the last 6 weeks or more. Follow that with a nice moisturizing DC and check out your hair afterwards.

Also, I think Ellie is right, two weeks in twists could produce more than normal shed hair.

Go back to your old products that were working, no need to use natural products. You'll probably have to do a trillion things to get hair to act the way you want with new products when you can just go back to what use to work.

I'm sorry Kinkyhairlady, I just came from another site talking about definition and I was exhausted about how everything sees to be about curl definition in the natural community. I should not have derided your thread. Your case is different.

How about getting a trim? Sometimes the ends of your hair may be fuzzy due to split ends/thining ends which may mask the curls.

That is okay :) I actually am going to go get it trimmed and from the advice I have received on this thread I will go back to Cream of Nature even it is not natural. I love seeing my hair in a tightly coiled state and not just sitting there looking lifeless. Thanks ladies for the feedbacks!

Have you tried clarifying? I would clarify and then DC.

I did clarify with Sauve right before I did my last set of twist so it can't be that. My hair seemed shorter as well after I took my twist down. This natural hair journey is stressing me but I am trying to be a patient as I can. It just sucks when your hair is not going in the direction you want.

Ok Kinky,

First of all stop!!! I know u want all ur products to be nat'l but u said the kinky curly shampoo & Dr. bronner's didn't work but Creme of Nature did! Use it!!!
Don't go by what everyone says is good! Go by how ur hair reacts and feels towards the product!

I would probably stop with the protein for now and focus on moisture. Take baby steps and see how ur hair is responding to different conditioners, shampoos and products. It sounds like the key to your problems may be with ur hair's reaction to products.

Also I totally hear u on what ur nat'l hair feels like. i got curls and when I don't see them its an immediate tip off that my hair is going through some stress.

Good luck and I'm sure u'll get to the bottom of it!!!

Im not an Expert but from the products you have listed a couple have cones ( cantu Shea butter, Humectress) so I would recommend clarifying with a clarifying shampoo. I use one with sulfates (neutrogena residue free shampoo) gets my hair very clean then I add the moisture back with a moisturizing DC with no cones I mix in some warm coconut oil then plastic cap for a few hours with a towel on top to trap the heat or you could use a hooded dryer. This gets my curls popping again.

Back