No comb/brush styles for 4a natural (except twists, braids and wash n gos)

apemay1969

I don't like starting new threads because so much info is out here already. :blush:

Howeva, I'M SOLD! Laurend told me she doesn't comb and I'm looking at how thick her hair looks so I tried it. I told myself I will only comb and/or brush my natural hair when abso-freaking-lutely necessary. One is too many and once I start brushing, y'all, I swear it's like crack. I just brush and brush and pull hairs out of the brush and ohmygoodness.

BUT I brushed my hair this morning to flatten my bun bump on my crown with my denman while filled with conditioner. I had to kind of brush with the side because I am so scared of ripping my hair out. I haven't used a comb or brush this entire week - which is forever for me - and I can already tell the difference when removing shed hair with my fingers. The hair is actually shed hair and not broken hair. I hated to do it but I was tired of looking like a dang edible egg by the head. :lachen: Even tying it down didn't work because of the bunching up under the top hair on my crown - if that makes sense.

I'm bunning this week but I would like to experiment a bit with newer natural styles that I don't have to comb or manipulate as much.

Is there a thread already about not combing/brushing natural hair and styles that work for that - other than twists and wash n' go's?

I dunno. I'm still a natural newbie even if its been over a year since I bc'd.:ohwell: I'm reading this over and sounds irrelevant with all of the info on the board but I just find anything to help me with this particular issue.

Gracias folks.

yea, i went through a period (maybe it was about a month and a half??) when i didn't comb. now, my hair DID seem thicker, but when i wanted to wear it straight, it seemed there were more knots than usual, requiring a trim, because i'm not about to wear my hair out with raggedy ends. :perplexed

here was my routine:
i'd wash/condition once a week.
let my hair dry in 4 banded sections.
once dry, moisturize/seal, and braid each section into about 4 braids.
remove the braids in the morning, and wear a braidout for a whole week. i never rebraided at night...partly out of laziness, partly because my hair doesn't like much manipulation. when it got stale and had no definition, i'd just do pin-ups/buns.

so yea....i'd try this no combing thing with CAUTION. my hair seems to do better with detangling at least once every two weeks.:yep:

I have been on a no comb/brush regimine for the past six months. My hair is thicker so I plan to continue. I wear my hair in two strand twists and wigs/half wigs.

To combat a build up of shed hair, I soak my dry hair overnight in olive oil throughly and remove the shed hair with my fingers, small hair section by section. It takes about 30 mins but it has been so worth it.

HTH

I'm going to detangle and deshed today when I rinse out my conditioner and then flat iron. I'm doing this to see how my hair does with the no comb/brush when it's straight. It's even harder not to comb it when it's straight.

Back