NIGERIANS w/ long, relaxed hair?

Okay, so I'm a newbie to posting (longtime lurker) and I'm approaching this with caution. I hope I don't offend anyone (don't know why I would) by isolating a group in the title. :hide:

That said, I was wondering if there were any nigerians on the board with relaxed hair that's past SL. Now, the reason I ask this is not because I doubt that it exists (I DO NOT doubt that it exists. I've been a lurker here long enough to be educated against the misconceptions that many have about AA hair not being able to grow long:naughty:, and being nigerian and/or 4a/b is no different!) I am only wondering because I was just looking at a post and I saw Sonce's hair (ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS) but noticed that it was natural. I am about 10 weeks post and I'm considering transitioning. I'm this (::pinches thumb and index finger) close to going natural.

I suppose I should ask the question of 4a/b's in general (although I know that it is possible for a nigerian to have a diff texture..just speaking generally from my observations), but I'm also wondering how many nigerians who have had success w/ their hair on the board are relaxed vs. natural.

Despite the title, all constructive thoughts/opinions are greatly welcomed and appreciated :grin:!

Jess

You should open up your nationalities, just due to the sheer number. It is so funny because I'm natural and I have this conception that relaxed hair grows faster. Why would Nigerians have a different texture???? This is coming from a Cameroonian.

PS I have numerous Nigerian relaxed friends with thick apl, sl hair that dont even have a regimen

Yep. Myself and both my sisters have below apl hair-it was long both natural and relaxed.
To be honest I think hair length is a product of good hair care practices and texture. My siblings and I all have medium to thick hair which I believe retains length a little easier than fine hair. I have a friend with very fine hair who cant get it to reach her shoulders.
For the record we all have 4a/b textured hair.

HTH.

p.s I think hair length is attainable for anyone who is diligent and patient.

i suppose more than opening up nationalities, i should be talking about hair types...but i was saying nigerians in particular because I'm wondering how many nigerians (in particular) were relaxed vs. natural. that was the main point of the thread. i see mostly natural on this board. but then again i haven't really been here for that long, lol.

I suppose I should ask the question of 4a/b's in general (although I know that it is possible for a nigerian to have a diff texture..just speaking generally from my observations) I was saying this because I foresaw there being ppl that might say: "why do you keep targeting 4a/b's specifically, isn't it possible for nigerians to have any texture?, even 3?" I'm not saying that nigerians would have a 'different' texture from anyone else generally speaking. i'm saying that i know that nigerians come in a variety of 'different' textures.

BTW, i'm (half) nigerian...GO Africa!!

well i am transitioning now but when i was completely relaxed my hair was usually always past shoulder length. the longest it got was within an inch of APL. and I had horrible hair practices.

ETA: i am 100% nigerian. my hair is 3C/4A though if that makes a difference...

I'm sure that are several women on the board that match the description you are wondering about. But there are hundred's of women on the board who are relaxed with 4a/b texture APL and beyond.

My college roommate is Nigerian and grew her hair from SL to BSL while we were at school and did nothing more than get a bi weekly wash and set and relax during school breaks (ever 8-12 weeks). She wore her hair down most of the time and switched to braid outs when she was past 6 weeks. She slept with a silk scarf and moisturized every other day.

This simple regimen is reflective of a lot of ladies on the board. Good luck!

I am a relaxed 4a BSB. I find it easier for me to deal with my relaxed hair. Each group has their challenges and no challenges is eaiser to deal with then the next. I have been successful with my journey. When I started I eat, sleep, and breathed LHCF. I have made mistakes and had setbacks but nothing so bad I couldnt recover from.

If you want to go natural, please do so while your hair is still short(er). I find it eaiser to transition at shorter lengths then longer lengths.

Does half count? I'm only half Nigerian and my hair just reached BSL.

Although I guess it doesn't count since my hair is like no one's on either side of my family...except my materal grandma...my hair is the same texture but longer then hers. Maybe it should just go by hair types since my hair is 3b/c and 4A but it is really fine and thick (yes fine hair can be thick)

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback ladies!
Yeap, I am really TORN...like...really torn right now betwenn going natural and remaining relaxed. I'm learning to deal with my relaxed hair better and I'm sure with a few months I can nurse my relaxed hair to a healthy full shoulder length. It's already getting better. :grin: But I want to see how it is natural, too. Hmm...decisions, decisions

But
Does half count? I'm only half Nigerian and my hair just reached BSL

CONGRATS on BSL! Oh...and I'm half too, lol.

I think this is a good thread because I think most members respect the opinions of those that have hair textures close to theirs. When I see picture reviews of someone that has hair like Lynn on girlfriends, I silently turn the other way. So I'm glad you narrowed your answer to texture instead of nationality.

I am also torn between relaxed and natural . I choose natural because I was fearful of relaxed hair due to past experiences. But I think I will open to relax and feel confident enough to grow my hair.

:hiya2: I'm Nigerian, with fine, relaxed 4a/b hair and my hair is slightly above brastrap. I believe that growing long hair is definitely possible for EVERYBODY, regardless of ethnicity, hairtype, skin color or anything else. However - whether you are able to do it will really depend on what you are willing to do to retain that length (i.e. protective styling, deep conditioning, staying away from stylist who are inadvertently hindering your progress, etc.)

A part of me does secretly think that my hair would thrive more if I were natural. On the other hand, I'm sure there are some natural heads who feel the opposite way - grass is always greener - blah, blah, blah lol.

Again - I think growing long hair is possible for everyone so it really just depends on how you think you will wearing your hair the most and essentially what you want. Good luck with your decision and you hair journey!

Hi. 100% naija with APL hair. I achieved APL in October and I'm currently 10 weeks post relaxer. My hair is 4zz and I love it :rolleyes:.

My regimen is wash and DC twice a week and moisturize daily with a mixture of condish, jojoba oil, castor oil, amla oil and water. It keeps my hair moist. I have issues with split ends because I was getting dominican blowouts so now I'm trimming back the hair every so often. And I shed a lot too but that's just my hair.

Right now I'm in braids cause of the Crown and Glory Challenge. And also to get over my fear of braids :lachen::lachen:(I do them rarely).

I believe with care our hair can thrive. Transitioning is serious business, I also thought about it but I decided to see how long I would reach relaxed before reaching a decision. If you feel you are ready, there are a couple of people who have successfully transitioned and there is a transitioning thread to help you along.

Good luck OP

I think that this is an Interesting thread, I always wanted to know how many Nigerians were on this forum. It inspires me even more to see a girl from my country with long hair.

This thread is important because it helps dispel many misconceptions, my cousin believes only hausa/fulani Nigerians can have long hair, which cannot be true. Also I have a south African friend who believes my hair grows because I am Nigerian, she will not listen to my regimen because she does not believe a 100% black south African can have long hair.

I am full Nigerian and l I am APL relaxed, the longest my hair has been was BSL (mind you that BSL did not last up to two years). So now I am on my way to WL. My hair is 4a around the crown area, and 4b by the ears and the nape. HTH

I think that this is an Interesting thread, I always wanted to know how many Nigerians were on this forum. It inspires me even more to see a girl from my country with long hair.

This thread is important because it helps dispel many misconceptions, my cousin believes only hausa/fulani Nigerians can have long hair, which cannot be true. Also I have a south African friend who believes my hair grows because I am Nigerian, she will not listen to my regimen because she does not believe a 100% black south African can have long hair.

I am full Nigerian and l I am APL relaxed, the longest my hair has been was BSL (mind you that BSL did not last up to two years). So now I am on my way to WL. My hair is 4a around the crown area, and 4b by the ears and the nape. HTH

Wow - those are very interesting view points (though misguided). I haven't heard either one of them before. What's interesting is how people will always try to come up with an excuse for why they can't grow their hair or why someone else can instead of analyzing what they may be doing to hinder their own growth.

As for your South African friend, I don't understand why she wouldn't want to try your regimen. You are proof that it works and you would think that she would be hounding you for details just in case any one little piece of it may serve to improve her hair's situation. I just don't get the refusal to at least try.

Back