NEWCOMER Starting Hair Journey : : Armed with 2 Qs ♥

The Machine

Waaah, hi everyone, I'm glad I finally got my butt in gear to post! I've been hovering for a bit, collecting info here and there, and I'm already feeling better about my hair :yep: (quick info: 18, female, Canadian student, currently taking a year off before pursuit of BAA in Illustration)

However, I have a few questions (okay more like a gazillion, but that's what stalking threads + search is for XDDD) If anyone could be kind enough to lend some advice ^__^

1) This is my all-natural hair:

NATURAL_HAIR.jpg

I had a weave before this, and I dyed the hair at the top to match. But I'm interested in getting a relaxer since I like to wear my hair straight anyways, and I was wondering should I dye first, or relax? Currently looking for a relaxer I'd like to use.

2) I bought a bunch of products, such as Kenra, John Frieda, and Redken, that I'm going to include in my regime.

DSCF2547.jpg

(hahaha some of that stuff is old!!)

But I have problems with detangling, my hair gets really tangly:ohwell: Do you think a pre poo or oil rinse could help this? How long should I approximately leave those in for?

.____. Aish that was a long post, sorry! I'm glad to be joining this forum instead of just sitting at the sidelines drooling over all of your gorgeous hair!! Thank you for taking the time to read ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

I know that they have relaxers that you can use and do color the same day Dark and Lovely they have a website that has FAQ's on it too. I just used color in my hair it was Dark and Lovely it turned out great!!!

Welcome aboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great news, I didn't know you could do that! Thanks for the info!! I'm gonna go check the site right now :yep:

Glad to be on board ^^

OT::blush: I like your siggy. My SO does graphic design so I am more aware of stuff of that nature.:yep:

Back to the regularly schedule program.

Thank you very much! Your hair in your profile pic is so thick and shiny!! I love it! That's my first hair goal right there :D

I'm gonna work my butt of to get some much needed moisture and thickness in these locks.

u have a lot of great products are planning on using any oils? have you decided on a relaxer yet?

If your looking for a "lye" relaxer - Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil is AWESOME!

It's the TRUTH for soft, silky, SHINY hair!

Last edited:
Vitale is also a GREAT relaxer! I changed to ORS when Aloe Vera went from ingredient #2 to #10 or 15. :ohwell:

Last edited:
KAT25 - I am currently investigating some oils. I'd like to try coconut, avocado, and I read that jojoba is great for sealing in moisture on the ends. And once I make an appointment with a hair stylist, I'd like to talk about other essential oils, and if they're be beneficial to my hair ^^ I found when I used to relax my hair years ago it got sooo flat and thin, I want to keep thick, so maybe a texlax?? As much as I like it, I don't know if my hair is thick enough to get bone straight hair :ohwell:

HERicane10 - Thanks for those recommendations as well! One of my friends actually just recommended the ORS relaxer to me, and her hair is great! So it's definitely on my list. Now, to get the ol' wallet out once again :rolleyes:

Welcome, nice hair. I would say get a regimen to get your hair stronger before doing anything, colour, relaxer etc after that, the world is you oyster:look: For 6 weeks, maybe a wash and deep conditioning once a week you can alternate between a protein (cause of your colour) and moisture (you say your hair gets dry). Coconut oil is nice and light for sealing, maybe you can phony pony it till then, and it also gives you time to research the relaxer and colour you want. Good luck on your hair journey...Check macherieamour's blog it has videos on how to do e'rything www.healthytextures.com so you know how to swang that hair when you relax:grin:

Gorgeous hair. Welcome aboard. Have you tried any herbs? Maybe shikakai, henna, amla, fo-ti powder or ghassoul/rhassoul clay may help. I know that they have helped me tremendously. Khadijah aka Henna Sooq (here), her website is www.hennasooq.com is an expert and resides in Canada. Maybe she can offer you some insight on a few things. HTH.

welcome aboard lady!!

I love your natural hair as is.. but as far as a relaxer and a dye combo...I have no advice since I am not there yet:lachen:! I only relax(texlax) now and as far as dying my hair... I would probably let a professional do it since I know it would be messy and I would get it all over the place!:yep:

Last edited:
Hi, welcome to the board. If possible id wait 2 weeks between the color and relaxer to give your hair strength between chemical treatments. if that not possible be sure to give yourself a good protein treatment before the relaxer and deep conditioning after the color.

Welcome again!

Hey, welcome. :wave: I just wanted to drop in and say that your hair looks like mine in a wash-n-go, even though you're natural and I'm texlaxed.

hothair- great tips, thank you so much!! I will definitely do that, I was wanting to build up the strength and be gentle on my hair before I go through with that. And yes macherieamour's is the BOMB!! Totally stalking it now :grin:

dlewis- Thank you so much ^^

carameldiva- I hadn't known about that, gosh, so much ressources here, I swear this is a goldmine!! Thank you very much for the link.

InnerSoul- Thank you ^^ You can trust me when I say it tangles something fierce afterwards. And I am definitely going to a salon... I don't have the confidence yet to put chemicals myself on my hair.

silvergirl- great tip, I was thinking about leaving a delay in between, and the protein and DC is a great idea

sunshinebeautiful- Thanks, tomorrow I'm gonna attept a Wash-n-Go, haha... hopefully it will look nice... I've never worn my natural hair out, always straightened...

Anyways I just wanna give a huuuge thank you and a warm hug to everyone that replied with tips!! I'm sitting here with Word open typing everything up in a neat and organized fashion!! I'm gonna take it step by step, and hope everything will work itself out.

Thanks again!! ♥♥♥

Hi Machine. The ladies already gave you great advice. I would also recommend doing some searches for the products you bought. Many of us here have used them all different kinds of ways so maybe you can more ideas on better/different ways to us them if they don't work the way it was directed to be used.

Welcome.

I love your siggy too. It reminds me of this female grafitti artist who paints girls like that...I forgot her name. Maybe you know who I am talking about.

gymfreak336- Great tip. That way I don't have to waste the products I have before buying new ones. Thanks!!

march87- Thank yoooou ^^

♥♥♥

Really, everyone is so wonderful and nice here. This is the best comm ever! One day I hope I can dish out some expert advice :grin:

Everyone, keep inspiring~♥

Back