Newbie's quest to NON-see thru hair :(

solewoman

Ladies...

I need help :( for years in high school I have worn braids because of me being very active and not the most girly girl to want to take care of my hair. After coming out of braids I would have my hair permed. After going to college i did the same regimen. However I think I was being over processed. One stylist advised me to cut my hair because i had length but it was all damaged ends. He cut it so low that I hated it and went back to braids to hide my hair. I have been wearing braids ever since. I wanted to start fresh in 2010 and I am grown now and i didnt want to wear braids the rest of my life. My hair has regained the length but it is still very see thru. I was going to a stylist who would just wash and press it. But the styling would not last more than a day and every morning I was applying heat to my head. I had to dead that. So now I am left with a mess :( I havent had a perm in years so i guess you could say i am natural...but my question is will I have to cut my hair? IMO it is very see thru. the past 3 weeks I have stayed away from the heat and stopped going to my stylist because I dont think she was really promoting my hair growth. I have acquired several products and am trying them out such as...sulfur powder, megatek, jbco...anything to thicken my hair. I now wash and deep condition every week and just throw my hair in twists. I have lots of curlies all over my bathroom floor and hands when im finished :wallbash: I am thinking that may be from the megatek but i plan on acquiring some garlic conditioner from alter ego this week. I have the aphogee protein treatment but have yet to use it in fear of protein overload. I am kind of a health nut so i consume lots of protein already...at any rate...i am sorry for the novel I wrote but if someone could give me some advice on how to thicken up my hair or is my only option to big chop :cry: I planned on getting Senegalese this weekend. yay...or nay...? btw my hair is i guess you could say neck or shoulder length <the danger zone>

Thank you ladies in advance for your help.

Hair type: kunta...lol jk. 4a/b i guess...the nappiest/thinnest combo..ive been told its called perfect braiding hair. whatever that means.

I understand where you are coming from because I used to be a trimaphobic too.

I was afraid to trim (or cut) because I was afraid of losing the length. But I was actually doing more harm than good because I ended up with thin and scraggly ends that made styling a nightmare leading to more damage.

Do you hair a favor, trim the ends. Even if you have to lose an inch or so now and go into the Senegalese twists your hair will be that much healthier and thicker when you take them out a several weeks down the road.

I am a natural 4b with some 4a doing the crown and glory method on my hhj (currently on my two week braid break) and I just cut about two inches all around the bottom taking me from shoulder length to neck length. The old "trimaphobic" me would never have done that but my hair is much healthier and easier to comb because of the trim/cut and will grow in thicker. My new attitude is trim now to avoid setbacks and thin ends/grow in thick and healthy.

Thank you ladies for all your assistance. I have a dumb question...does your hair have to be straightened for it to be trimmed? Mine is really kinky/curly. I am definitely done with micros since my edges are like non existent right now. I was going with the Senegalese because that would allow me to get back to boxing and not have to worry too much about my hair. and i figured it would allow the ends to be protected and grow. I also heard the Senegalese were less stress on the hair.

Last edited:
I think you may need a good trim also I think that sengalese twist might put too much pressure on the roots if they start twisting at the root. Also are you planning to wash your hair while in braids b/c I don't how well sengalese twist will hold up. I had gotten long medium size kinky twist w/o the ends being curled and it held up so well when I washed it every two weeks that it could have last me three months or more but I took them down b/c I was afraid of forming locs.

Last edited:
Thank you ladies for all your assistance. I have a dumb question...does your hair have to be straightened for it to be trimmed? Mine is really kinky/curly. I am definitely done with micros since my edges are like non existent right now. I was going with the Senegalese because that would allow me to get back to boxing and not have to worry too much about my hair. and i figured it would allow the ends to be protected and grow. I also heard the Senegalese were less stress on the hair.

I definitely only trim on straightened hair.

Also, micros can be really stressful on the hair and more difficult to take out without causing damage.

My advice would be to cut those ends and start over. If they are see through there really isn't a need to hold onto them, imo.

As for the Sengalese twists, I would say go for it. However, before you get them you need to ensure that your hair is in tip top shape. If your hair is dry or breaking for any reason, you need to get that in check first. My advice would be to find a good moisturizing DC and go from there. It sounds to me like your hair is in need of moisture instead of protein so get that in check. Also, continue to lay off the heat. This will be beneficial should you decide to get the twists.

Finally, since you're new to the hair care game, give your hair time to thicken up. When I started, I didn't notice a definite change in thickness until 4 months into my journey. It is also possible that the constant heat on your hair thinned your hair out a bit. So now that you aren't using it as much, you may begin to notice a difference in your hair thickness/

HTH!

I think you may need a good trim also I think that sengalese twist might put too much pressure on the roots if they start twisting at the root. Also are you planning to wash your hair while in braids b/c I don't how well sengalese twist will hold up. I had gotten long medium size kinky twist w/o the ends being curled and it held up so well when I washed it every two weeks that it could have last me three months or more but I took them down b/c I was afraid of forming locs.

Yes i plan on washing them. I am going to be honest with you ladies when i wore my micros I didnt wash my hair as often as i should because of human hair and how my curls would peep through the braids. nor did i deep condition. I think that was a huge down fall. While in the twists i planned on finding a regimen that incorporated a dc every week as well as constant moisturizing. I think the products are actually starting to work because my hair is so so soft now. after i wash it it is not even difficult to detangle which i NEVER experienced in my life. looks like all you ladies are saying to snip it away *sniff sniff* oh btw about a month ago i got a trim. she took like a inch and a hlaf off i forgot to mention that. My hair is just really thin im assuming this is from my improper care in micros. if i do decide to go with Senegalese i just want to ensure that what i am doing overall for my hair is beneficial. and heat is the antichirst imo now.

Yes i plan on washing them. I am going to be honest with you ladies when i wore my micros I didnt wash my hair as often as i should because of human hair and how my curls would peep through the braids. nor did i deep condition. I think that was a huge down fall. While in the twists i planned on finding a regimen that incorporated a dc every week as well as constant moisturizing. I think the products are actually starting to work because my hair is so so soft now. after i wash it it is not even difficult to detangle which i NEVER experienced in my life. looks like all you ladies are saying to snip it away *sniff sniff* oh btw about a month ago i got a trim. she took like a inch and a hlaf off i forgot to mention that. My hair is just really thin im assuming this is from my improper care in micros. if i do decide to go with Senegalese i just want to ensure that what i am doing overall for my hair is beneficial. and heat is the antichirst imo now.

Moisture is a must while your hair is braided.

While in braids I co-wash my hair 2x a week (with a diluted cheapie condish) and I poo about every two weeks with diluted moisturizing shampoo

I spray my braids several times a day with my special brew rosewater/few drops of tea tree oil/few drops of hawaiian 14-1...followed by applying coconut oil in the am and pm

My hair is well moisturized when I take my braids down.

If there are little peices if hair evrrywhere that are not the length of your hair, it is breaking. You should use your aphogee to help curb the breakage and get a trim. Braids or twists are normally a good way to give your hair a rest but since your edges need a break from them, I would braid or twist you natural hair, those styles allow you to leave it alone and keep it moisturized while still looking good. Another style I love is rollersetting with perm rods. It gives you a small spiral set.

you should definitely go to growafrohairlong.com I have worn braids since I was 5 but never had any length because I didn't know I should moisturize my hair while it is in braids and she explains very well how she went from NL to WL with braid extensions her regimen is very cheap and easy.

Thank you ladies...

so i knew i was having some breakage but i am using megatek so i figured that was shedding. since i use megatek pretty often i read on here that it wasnt a good idea to use that the protein treatment...is that true?

Back