Newbie...

NappturalWomyn

Hi. I am new to the forum. I wasn't sure if there was a thread for newbies, so I'll start here. I came to the site on the advice of a friend. I'm a 4a hair type, and my hair stretched is at my shoulders in the back and sides, and the chin in the front. I came on the site for advice to reach my goal of armpit length and to see what else is to be seen.

I am still working on my hair regimen. Let me know if this is OK.

Shampoo-once every week because I work out so much-Creme of Nature Detangling Conditioning Shampoo (green label)

Condition-I co-wash about every day-I use JASON Apricot Conditioner, although I hear cheap conditioner works just as well. Can any naturals clarify if this works. Any suggestions on cheap conditioners? Is Tresseme a good cheap conditioner? They sell it by the bucket at Target for cheap...

Deep Conditioner-I could use some advice, right now I am trying to find a good one that I can use weekly. Any suggestions (preferrably cheap) would be really great...

At night-I braid it up into about 6 plaits and I use SheaMoisture leave in and then seal it with some Qhemet Olive Balm.

Wash and go-I use Qhemet Olive and Honey Balm topped with some Honeybrush Tea Gel and out the door I go. This is my fall, winter stuff. In the summer, well this summer, I started using Qhemet Burdock Root Cream. I think I will keep it for spring and summer

I am horrible at making fake ponytails. I wear twists on occasion but if it will get me to my hair goals, I am willing to do it more frequently.

My avatar is my hair idol, Leela James. One day...:wallbash:
Thanks for reading. Look forward to posting more...
I would like to start a Fotki. I have seen so many great ones. I just need to hammer things down a bit more before I go completely public.

I just wanted to say :welcome: I dont have the same hair type, but I am sure more 4a will chime in. Your regimen looks good though. I know you will enjoy it here, post away. :up:

Last edited:
I love Leela's hair, I would be happy with half as much hair

I'm a 4 something but I don't like to give advice because I have no clue as to what I'm doing most of the time, but WELCOME. I'm sure someone will peek in.

Your name sounds familiar I think I may have seen your fotki if you have one.

Welcome; nice to have you here!

I'm a 4B and your regimen sounds great. And Qhemet is my true love, so we share that in common! You sound very low maintenance like me. :yep:

ETA: Hello to the other newbies, too; quite a few of you posted in here! :D

Welcome, give a cheapo a try...Tressame should be fine, there's Suave, Dove, White Rain, V05, etc...the only way you'll know if if you try it on yourself. J/A/S/O/N is expensive, so give your wallet a break, if it's possible.

Good luck w/ your goals and welcome to the boards.

We embrace you. :grouphug2: Motions Moisture Plus is an excellent deep conditioner for an inexpensive price. You can "doctor it up," and it will even be better. :superbanana:

Welcome!

Overall, your reggie looks good, and most importantly - is it working well for you? If so - keep on keeping on!

My favorite DC is ElastaQP Intense Fortifying - 11 dollars or so for a liter, and it's so lovely and rich....
If you have a Trader Joes near you, I've also fallen head over heels for their Replenish conditioner :lick: It's lovely!!

Welcome:grin:

I love QB products and shea moisture leavin too. My cheapie cond are VO5 Strawberries and Cream and Suave (any brand).

I took you guys' advice. I found a Trader Joe's about 13 miles away or so. Drove there today. I read a bottle of Tressme conditioner and it was reading a foriegn language for most of the ingredients. Bought about 8 bottles of Nourish Conditioner (I think this will last me quite a few months). So, now I will use the J/A/S/O/N Apricot conditioner as part of a deep conditioner mix. Thanks.:grin:

Let's see. I can commit to this regimen for a good 6-8 months and see if it will pan out.
  • Shampoo: CON green label (once a week-fell back in love with it
  • Conditioner: TJ Nourish Conditioner for co-washes
  • Deep Conditioner: JASON Apricot mixed with EVOO and honey OR SheScentIt conditioner
  • Leave in: SheaMoisture Leave in Conditioner (at night)
  • Wash and go: Qhemet Olive and Honey Balm topped with Honeybrush Tea Gel; Burdock Cream in the spring and summer
  • Braid it at night, and learn to shampoo with braids in my hair
  • Vitamins: Synergy Multivitamin with extra Potassium, Iron, CoQ10, Fish oils, MSM

Last edited:
Back