NEWBIE with Questions (of course long, not too long!)

Seeking8Rights

Hello LHCF sistas,

Okay, I have been lurking this board for about ummm 2 years (LOL, sounds bad) and I finally decided to join because I got SOOOO tired of talking to my computer as if I was replying to a post! So, I new at that point I realized I need to just pay the $10 and remove the STALKER sign off my forehead!

Well, I have some questions (I'll keep it short) about my hair and I'm hoping ya'll could help sista out....

Background:

Hair Type: ??? I don't know how to figure my hair type, but I do know that I get an "S" curl when wet (if that means anything).

Hair Length: 1 inch above bra back strap, basically past my shoulders and and from the back my hair hits a little above the back strap of my bra.

Relaxer: I have always used Affirm (my hair doesn't like Mizani (sp)) and since living in Italy (2 years now), I have had to relax my hair myself. Prior to this I went to a stylist every week for wash, etc, etc,.

Hair Routine: 1 per week (when I'm good) or biweekly (when I'm being bad):
Wash with KeraCare Hydrating Shampoo, Optimum Strengthening Shampoo, KeraCare Dry & Itchy Scalp

Condition with a TUN of Crap: KeraCare D&I Scalp, Optimum Strengthening Conditioner, Elasta QP Instense Reconstructor, KeraCare Reconstructor. Every so often I will do a Biolage Cera-Repair Pro4™- hydrathérapie in-salon treatment.

Blow Dry and Flat Iron with a Sedu.

I only rinse with bottled water and I add about a 1/4 cup of vinegar to one 1.5 liter of water.

I don't own a brush. I have only used a wide tooth medal comb (the kind like the ol afro pic but with a black handle)
Maintenence: Wrap my hair every night with silk wrap. I apply DOO Grow and Elasta QP Mango Butter with a little EVOO.

NOW HERE'S THE PROBLEM:

For the past 2 months, I have been having what I consider MAJOR SHEDDING (like a small handfull of hair when I comb it). Also, last week a had about a half of inch section of my hair BREAK! After I relaxed, dryed and flat iron I always wrap my hair (my hair stays wrapped 7 days a week unless I go somewhere). The next morning, I unwrapped my hair and lo and behold....there was this section that looked like my hair had been snipped off. I WAS LIKE HONEY (talking to my hubby) did you cut a piced of my hair off last night? He had that look like "Oh Sh*8, something is wrong with her hair!" Of course he didn't, but that's what it looked like.

I have never had my hair this long since I was a kid, as I have always worn short boy cuts (like Nia long back in the day), so I don't know what is considered good shedding or bad shedding. Also, when I was getting my hair done every week, I really didn't pay attention to the hair that fell on the floor. So all this sight of hair is scaring me.

Now this past washing I decided to rollerset instead of blow dry and flat iron and I must admit it takes some getting used to because that SEDU is the TRUTH when it comes to straightening. BUT, I am willing to take the NO HEAT route for the sake of my hair.

So can ANYONE shed some light to my shedding & breakage situation? I am also considering just throwing out my KeraCare and using natural products such as Aveda.

I have attached a picture of my hair from about a month ago (or two months ago).

Attachments

• more 024.jpg
    more 024.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Me 003.jpg
    Me 003.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 9
Hi :)

When my hair was shedding/breaking the following threads really helped:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=84746

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=83078

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=93610

They are very informative and I'm sure you'll find something in there. But in any case, here are a few suggestions:

You could try air drying, rollersetting as opposed to using heat once a week, or try using a heat protectant if you do not use one.

Another thing you could try is clarifying, it'll help the products work better.

Try a protein or moisture treatment, the threads I posted have information as to when to use each.

Did you notice this shedding just after a relaxer? Maybe your hair was not properly neutralized.

Hope this helps

ETA: Updated links

Last edited:
Thank you. I will definately take a look at those links.

The breakage was the next day after my relaxer and the shedding has been going on for a few months (before my last relaxer which as the day before mothers day).

Also, sometimes I get really really lazy and won't touch my hair for a week or so, like if I go somewhere and where my hair down, when I get home I will just put it in a pony and keep it like that for some days (without wrapping it or anything). Then when I decide to wash it, I have to comb it out because its all knotted up and of course hair is everywhere, then when I wash, cond, and dry, there is more hair coming out. It seems like after my pregnancy my hair has become really fragile (at least that how I feel). I wonder if my sometimes mistreatment of my hair binge is whats causing all this breakage/shedding stuff???

It's bad because in the states I was spoiled by getting my hair done everyweek, and now I'm having to fend for myself in this hair jungle. LOL!

Nefertiti0906 said:
Hi :)

When my hair was shedding/breaking the following threads really helped:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=84746

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=83078

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=93610

They are very informative and I'm sure you'll find something in there. But in any case, here are a few suggestions:

You could try air drying, rollersetting as opposed to using heat once a week, or try using a heat protectant if you do not use one.

Another thing you could try is clarifying, it'll help the products work better.

Try a protein or moisture treatment, the threads I posted have information as to when to use each.

Did you notice this shedding just after a relaxer? Maybe your hair was not properly neutralized.

Hope this helps

ETA: Updated links

Keclee23 said:
Hair Type: ??? I don't know how to figure my hair type, but I do know that I get an "S" curl when wet (if that means anything).
Since you have relaxed hair, you will not be able to truly tell your hair type. The only way you can know your hair type is if you have natural hair (hair that has not been chemically relaxed).

Kecelee23 said:
So can ANYONE shed some light to my shedding & breakage situation? I am also considering just throwing out my KeraCare and using natural products such as Aveda.
It may have to do with how many products you use, especially for your maintenance routine. You said you use Doo Grow, Elasta QP mango butter, and EVOO to wrap your hair at night...that is a little too much. And you also may be using too many products when you condition your hair.

And nothing is necessarily wrong with KeraCare products if you use them exclusively (meaning don't use a whole lot of different products with the KeraCare line). Check out macherieamour's routine and album. She has long healthy-looking relaxed hair. Here's a link to her profile: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/member.php?u=8557

Hope that helps!!!

Keclee23 said:
Thank you. I will definately take a look at those links.

The breakage was the next day after my relaxer and the shedding has been going on for a few months (before my last relaxer which as the day before mothers day).
This also happened to a friend of mine. Her hair was breaking and shedding for several weeks after her touch up, so she neutralized her hair. Since then, her hair has been back to normal.

Keclee23 said:
Also, sometimes I get really really lazy and won't touch my hair for a week or so, like if I go somewhere and where my hair down, when I get home I will just put it in a pony and keep it like that for some days (without wrapping it or anything). Then when I decide to wash it, I have to comb it out because its all knotted up and of course hair is everywhere, then when I wash, cond, and dry, there is more hair coming out.
I use to leave my hair in the bun so I understand :lol:. What I started doing was moisturizing my whole hair every 3 days, hey it's better than nothing. Oh, the days that I do not do anything, I spray w/my leave-in conditioner.

As for the drama before washing your hair, what I found to help was not combing it without products in it. I'll pre-condition w/an oil mixture of vatika oil, castor oil, and a conditioner under a shower cap for atleast 30 mins. Then I'll seperate my hair in sections (usually 4 sections) to comb out gently. I leave my hair in the 4 sections when washing. This has helped tremendously.

Poohbear, you have a point because (now that I think about it) my stylist only used 2 things every week: KeraCare Dry & Itchy Scalp Shamppoo and Conditioner. And we had no problems (my hair and I), but since moving to Italy, I became this Bueukitchin queen thinking that more is better, so I added a few things hoping to combat the hard water effect (here in Italy). So you are definately on to something.....Go back to the basics. :)

It's strange because you get into this cycle where you think the more products you use the better your hair will be. It's a hard cycle to get out of.

Thanks Poohbear!

Poohbear said:
Since you have relaxed hair, you will not be able to truly tell your hair type. The only way you can know your hair type is if you have natural hair (hair that has not been chemically relaxed).

It may have to do with how many products you use, especially for your maintenance routine. You said you use Doo Grow, Elasta QP mango butter, and EVOO to wrap your hair at night...that is a little too much. And you also may be using too many products when you condition your hair.

And nothing is necessarily wrong with KeraCare products if you use them exclusively (meaning don't use a whole lot of different products with the KeraCare line). Check out macherieamour's routine and album. She has long healthy-looking relaxed hair. Here's a link to her profile: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/member.php?u=8557

Hope that helps!!!

Back