Newbie! Transitioning & Pressing Need Some Advise!!!

Quita

I've been lurking now for a couple of weeks but I decided to take the plunge. I'm 51/2 months into transitioning to a natural. I used to go to the salon once a week and she would press my hair which was great but now I can't afford it anymore. But I have a few friends who have gone through this process with great results at home. I have very fine hair don't know the type;

Here's what I have:
CHI ceramic blow-dryer approx. 1800 watts
FHI Platform 1 inch - only after washing
Heating cap for DC
pin curl or wrap every night
Capilo Aloe Vera Shampoo & Conditioner (use for DCs also there are Dominican products)
EVOO hot oil treatments
Lots of water daily, biotin, prenatal (but phyto pills for a year)

Questions:
How often should I be washing my hair and DC’ing, once a week or ever 2 weeks?
Should I cowash?
If I wash once a week how should I handle the pressing? Should I air dry or blow dry if I'm washing once per week? (Stylist used ceramic blow dryer once per week)
What's a good leave-in conditioner to use – found some Dominican products on bluebeez.com?
Started MN on the shorter side of my hair on Sunday thanks to LHCF?

My hair is right below my ear maybe you can help with the acronyms also, Hate my short hair trying to get to APL by DC 09

Thanks for your all your help!

Last edited:
Hey there!!!
I'm transitioning
but my method is braiding/twists-kinky.
I am trying to stay away from heat and I'm
doing a GREAT job.
I think heat damages hair IMO.
For a regime it really depends on your hair, the
amount of time you want to spend and your and your lifestyle.

My regime is simple, I'm a college student so my life hectic: co wash once a week, shampoo twice a week, use my homemade hair oil on my scalp 3x a week, deep condition once a month, and I made my own leave in conditioner
to spry in my hair. This keeps my twists fresh and moist.
Hope this helps!!!

Hey there!!!
I'm transitioning
but my method is braiding/twists-kinky.
I am trying to stay away from heat and I'm
doing a GREAT job.
I think heat damages hair IMO.
For a regime it really depends on your hair, the
amount of time you want to spend and your and your lifestyle.

My regime is simple, I'm a college student so my life hectic: co wash once a week, shampoo twice a week, use my homemade hair oil on my scalp 3x a week, deep condition once a month, and I made my own leave in conditioner
to spry in my hair. This keeps my twists fresh and moist.
Hope this helps!!!
Giovanni's Hair conditioner works like a charm!!!
Nice smell and moisture!!!

:rolleyes:

I've been lurking now for a couple of weeks but I decided to take the plunge. I'm 51/2 months into transitioning to a natural. I used to go to the salon once a week and she would press my hair which was great but now I can't afford it anymore. But I have a few friends who have gone through this process with great results at home. I have very fine hair don't know the type;

Here's what I have:
CHI ceramic blow-dryer approx. 1800 watts
FHI Platform 1 inch - only after washing
Heating cap for DC
pin curl or wrap every night
Capilo Aloe Vera Shampoo & Conditioner (use for DCs also there are Dominican products)
EVOO hot oil treatments
Lots of water daily, biotin, prenatal (but phyto pills for a year)

Questions:

My hair is right below my ear maybe you can help with the acronyms also, Hate my short hair trying to get to APL by DC 09

Thanks for your all your help!

How often should I be washing my hair and DC’ing, once a week or ever 2 weeks? I would try and last two weeks if your hair is fine - the less manipulation the better
Should I cowash?
If I wash once a week how should I handle the pressing? Should I air dry or blow dry if I'm washing once per week? (Stylist used ceramic blow dryer once per week) I would roller-set and flat-iron the roots only.
What's a good leave-in conditioner to use – found some Dominican products on bluebeez.com? I recommend Design Essentials H20
Started MN on the shorter side of my hair on Sunday thanks to LHCF?

Skiggle, thanks for the great advice, I'm not brave enough to do the twist or even venture to think about a BC so I have to transition and trim out the relaxer.

thanks for the great advice, I'll pick up Design Essentials tomorrow. I figured sice I'm not expert with the blow-dryer and flat iron and since they're so powerful that I should stick to washing bi-weekly instead of weekly.

Any suggestions on conditioners for co-washing?

Back