Newbie to well...Everything! [A Bit Long]

Bretagne

Hey guys,

I am brand new to this whole hair care thing. This is my first year away at college and I decided that I would dye my hair (wrong idea). Anyway I did it and then dyed it back about 2 months later and the back of my hair fell out.

Now I know it will eventually grow back but this experience made me realize how fragile my hair is. My mom wants me to cut the back of my hair off and get a relaxer but of course I am hard headed and I think the hair that I have left in the back is salvageable and I can wear hats and scarfs for the time being.

I've been lurking on the forums for a few weeks and I've been trying to process all this information but I do not know where to begin. I want to stop getting relaxers all together (or maybe once or twice a year) and I need a whole new hair care regimen. At college I use:
Garnier Fructis: Color Shield Shampoo and Conditioner
ORS: Hair Mayonnaise
ORS: No Flakes No More
DOO GRO Stimulating Growth Oil
Fantasia Frizz Buster Serum

I was also hoping to buy a new flat iron and new products to use with it. Right now I use:
Conair Infiniti
Tresemme: Heat Tamer Spray
ISOPLUS: Pressing Oil

Here are a few pictures of a hot mess that I call my hair:
hairdecember222008001.html
Hair-December222008001.jpg

Hair-December222008002.jpg

Hair-December222008003.jpg

Hair-December222008006.jpg

So my main objective is just to get my hair as healthy and as long as possible. I also still want to wear it straight without a relaxer. I just wanted to thank you girls in advance and I'll continue doing random searches through out the forum.

:)

Brittany

I think you have a lovely hair texture, you could read about some of our members who've done the BC and learn how to take care of it, your coils look nice and thick.
Whatever you decide, welcome!!!

check out the stickies, click on favorite stickies, and then click on the newcomer's guide. Also, my blog:
fromshorttolong.blogspot.com
Traycee's blog:
Keepitsimplesista.blogspot.com
and just scour fotki's, also feel free to PM people and ask questions.

WELCOME bretagne!

I think that your natural texture is absolutely beautiful! If that were my hair and my situation, I would bc (big chop). If you are not comfortable with wearing a twa, then you should consider braids. I was able to grow my very short hair cut out to neck length in about 5 months by getting my hair cornrowed every two weeks. Deep conditioning is very important and daily moisture is a must! Once your hair has grown a little and become stronger, then maybe consider straightening your hair on a more consistant basis.

HTH and I know that you will gair lots of info on here to help you. Good luck with your hair journey! I wish you the very best!

I am a little bit worried about doing a full BC and sporting a TWA. I am thinking about the cornrows but I go to school in a place where there are like no stylists who know anything about African American hair and I am a little nervous about a student putting their hands in my hair (after my coloring experience, I am weary) Is there anyway I can keep the relaxed hair and just grow it out?

I'm searching through the forums and those blogs right now :)

I am a little bit worried about doing a full BC and sporting a TWA. I am thinking about the cornrows but I go to school in a place where there are like no stylists who know anything about African American hair and I am a little nervous about a student putting their hands in my hair (after my coloring experience, I am weary) Is there anyway I can keep the relaxed hair and just grow it out?

I'm searching through the forums and those blogs right now :)

If that is the case, then you can consider purchasing a wig. If you are steadfast on getting a relaxer, then you should bun. I think that with the given state of your hair, it is best to manipulate as little as possible until is grows out and is in better condition. Weekly deep conditioning combined with bunning and stretching your relaxers should help to get your hair in good condition.

If that is the case, then you can consider purchasing a wig. If you are steadfast on getting a relaxer, then you should bun. I think that with the given state of your hair, it is best to manipulate as little as possible until is grows out and is in better condition. Weekly deep conditioning combined with bunning and stretching your relaxers should help to get your hair in good condition.

Okay. I was a little worried about losing my "length". I can definitely do the buns. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of deep conditioner do you use?

PS: Thanks for the welcome!

Okay. I was a little worried about losing my "length". I can definitely do the buns. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of deep conditioner do you use?

PS: Thanks for the welcome!

There are lots out there...you have to get to know your hair to know what it needs and what enables it to thrive. For me, I am using Torque Emergencia and La Bomba, both Dominican conditioners.

A really good one to start is ORS Replenishing Pak or ORS Mayonnaise, Pantene Relaxed and Natural Mask, Motions Moisture Plus...just to name a few.

Hey and welcome! I totally understand what you're going through because I'm a first year college student and all the good hair habits I learned went out the window this first semester! But I'm determined to break these habits again finally move on from BSL. I'm also natural so it's hard sometimes seeing all the relaxed heads, but I love my natural hair and wouldn't trade it for anything! If you're comfortable with sporting a twa for a while then I would say do it. Happy Hair Growing and can't wait to see your progress. Just remain disciplined and your hair will thank you later.

Welcome to the forum. :)

I think you will enjoy being natural, but I can understand not wanting to cut off all the relaxer immediately. The products you listed don't sound bad (with the exception of maybe the Isoplus). If you do decide to grow the relaxer out for a while, you'll need to baby your hair. This board can definitely help you take control of your hair care.

I went to a undergrad in a small town with few stylists and getting tired of waiting on other people to do my hair encouraged me to go natural and learn how to deal with it myself. Good luck to you on your hair journey. ;)

Thanks for the welcome once again.

I just read the ingredients for ISOPLUS and I saw that the first two were mineral oil and petroleum which I am learning is a big No No. I am on the search for a new product that will have my roots looking like I permed them but will only use it and my flat iron for special occasions.

:welcome:

I cannot wait to see what you will look like in a year.... In 2 - your hair will be :thud:!!!!

good luck - you have quite a bit of research - and this is a great place to learn!

Thanks for the welcome once again.

I just read the ingredients for ISOPLUS and I saw that the first two were mineral oil and petroleum which I am learning is a big No No. I am on the search for a new product that will have my roots looking like I permed them but will only use it and my flat iron for special occasions.

Hey Bretagne....welcome. Don't worry, you have come to the right place.

Take a look at some of the product, suggestions and regimen posted here:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=308873

Maybe something may be of interest to you.

Just be strong, and stay the course. You will nurse your hair back to health, and this episode will seem like it never happened. However, you will be wiser, and you in turn will be able to offer advice to a Newbie someday too. We're all here for you and with you.!!!:yep:

Welcome! I'd look in the transitioning threads if I were you for tips on how to maintain the two textures until you snip it off. Also, do you like Garnier? Does your hair feel soft after pooing with it? I ask, b/c Garnier was very drying to my hair and made it feel straw like after washing. If you're experiencing a straw like feeling, perhaps you should look into other shampoos.

Welcome!! If I was in your situation, I would definately BC or consider transitioning! It looks like you are off to a great start and your texture is lovely! HHG!!

I am definitely transitioning. I really do not want to perm again and when I want straighten my hair, just use a flat iron. Just trying to decide which one to buy (it is a Christmas gift)

I haven't straighten my hair for almost a month :yay:and when I do, I'll either use my Fantasia Heat Protecting Straightening Serum or buy the Chi serum thing a ma bob. I also started co-washing and I now put my hair in a ponytail and it air dry after washing. (Still trying to figure out how often I should wash/co-wash a week)

Um I also went out and bought Hair Milk by Carol's Daughter and Coconut Oil and Olive Oil, so we'll see where I am in due time!

Back