Newbie saying Hi

ErikaUK

Firstly I'd like to say how GLAD I am I've found this forum! I've been lurking for about 2 weeks, reading posts, researching and gleaning a lot of information. Some of you ladies are truely inspirational, and it's lovely that this community has come together to share their experiences whether good or bad.

I'll say I started my HHJ by accident. All my life I've been struggled with my hair. Not because I have 'difficult' hair per say; it's just a lack of knowledge on my part. As an adult my hair has never grown past my shoulders. It grows... then it breaks. I came to accept that that is the way my hair will always be. I can't have long hair. I used to see the American women on TV as a teenager and believe it's because the water is different, or the climates, or you have better products (which is kinda true) I blamed everything but my own lack of care and ignorance. I've relaxed my fine, 4a hair to snapping point - every 4 weeks or even less - cutting off the damaged ends to give me a short pixie cut. I've greased my hair till it was clogged. I thought that more grease = more moisturised. I've worn weaves and braids for months on end causing matting and breakage. Shamefully I admit to believing the myth that hair is self-cleaning; that, coupled with the infrequent installs, lead to my hair only being washed once or twice a year. :blush: I'm embarrassed - lets move on.....

My last relaxer was July 09. I had 3 relaxers in the space of 7 weeks and my hair could take no more. It broke off completely. I vowed never to touch it again. (Now I know more about how to look after my hair, I wouldn't say I'd never relax again, but at this point in my life it is not a risk I'm prepared to take.)

3/4 weeks ago I discovered the wealth of information about hair care online, and in this short space of time my hair has been flourishing. Due to the unconscious PSing of wigs and weaves these past 20 months my hair is longer than it's ever been as an adult. Maybe only an inch or so longer - but I'm doing my best to retain and add to it!:yep:

Ramble over

Attachments

• IMG_0330.JPG
    IMG_0330.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 50
Aww, thanks guys. Yup I'm from the UK. Dorset. There is a miniscule amount of shops catering for black hair. And they've only appeared in the last few years. Before that there was NADA!

Back