Newbie...protein conditioner

NeduGRL

Hello! I am new here and I am SO glad I found this board. This past summer, I became interested in taking care of my hair by myself because I was tired of the hairdressers. My hair is in pretty good shape, so now I am working on maintaining it. Okay, so right now I am using Pantene Relaxed and Natural Shampoo and conditioner. My mom has this Protein Therapy Conditioner from TCB and I used it twice this week. I was wondering I can use this conditioner every time I wash or will it make my hair brittle?

A protien conditioner should not be used too often as it can make your hair brittle. I usually do mine about once every 4 weeks. I follow mine up with a moisturizing conditioner.

Hi NeduGrl...Welcome to LHCF!
wave.gif

Hi, and welcome!

As a relative newbie myself, I have learned so much re: hair care in a short period of time.

I concur with dontspeakdefeat: be careful with protein conditioners. They can be counterproductive if over-used.

Have you tried any of the moisturizing conditioners, like Humetco by Keracare, or Kenra Deep Penetrating Moisturizer?

northernbelle

No, I haven’t used any other conditioners but the TCB and the Pantene one. I am looking for a good moisturizing deep conditioning treatment, though. Do the ones you recommended work well for you?

Hi, NeduGRL!

I have not used the Keracare Humetco, but it receives raves from many members of the LHCF. I have used, however, the Kenra Deep Moisturizing Conditioner. In fact, I used it for the first time last week, and it was HEAVEN! My hair was very dry, I suppose from over-use of protein conditioners, and simply, not using the proper conditioning techniques. For instance, I was not deep conditioning, and the conditioner I *was* using was the three minute variety - certainly not enough to moisturize dry, relaxed Afro-Caribbean hair.

The Kenra Deep Moisturizing Conditioner made my soft and more manageable, and I have had much less breakage.

Sometimes breakage can result from chemical damage, or, in my case, from improper moisturization and over-use of protein conditioners. All my hair needed was more moisture.

The Kenra is pricey: about $10.00. However, many of better conditioners referred to on the LHCF are in the $10-20 range. But, I believe it is well worth the additional expense. I believe the Keracare Humetco is about the same in price.

To tell you the truth, until I discovered the LHCF, I did not realize that there *was* a difference between a protein conditioner and a moisturizing conditioner. I also did not realize the importance of deep conditioning - that is to say, applying conditioner, wearing a plastic cap, and then using a heat cap or hood dryer for 15-30 minutes - each week.

So, try one and see what works!

northernbelle

Hi northernbelle!

Where did you buy the Kenra Deep Moisturizing Conditioner? At Sally’s? You make it sound so good that I want to go out and try it!

Thanks everyone for welcoming me!

Actually, I purchased it at Trade Secret. One cannot purchase Kenra at Sally's.

Now, a word re: Trade Secret: the store has this "All Sales Final" policy. *However*, the Kenra small print on the back of the bottle states the contrary.

In other words, Kenra stands behind its products, even in light of Trade Secret's store policy.

Having said the above, I *really* believe you will like the Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner, but buy the $10.00 for starters, as you are trying it out.

northernbelle

northenbelle,
this may sound like a dumb question but what's "afro Caribbean" hair? what are the defining characteristics of it? I've never heard of that category before so I'm curious
smile.gif

Not a dumb question at all, EmeraldSky. I am pleased you asked.

It's a term used in cosmotology books to refer to the hair of folks of African descent- ie. United States,Canada, the Caribbean (i.e. Puerto Rico, Jamaica, the Dominican Republic, Haiti, Cuba). Brazil.

I could be wrong, but this is my understanding of the term. I hope I have answered your question.

northernbelle

Northernbelle,
thanks for answering my question
smile.gif
Because of the caribbean part I thought it was limited to describing only those that were from the caribbean, it's a good thing I asked.

Back