NEWBIE!! PLEASE HELP ME BUILD A REGIMEN (RELAXED)

jazzybklyn

Hello ladies my name is Jasmin :wave: I have been stalking this website for a couple months now and i felt it was finally time to shell out my $6.50 :lol: in the stalking process i have learned a lot of things but a lot also confuses me. I would greatly appreciate if some of you would help me in building a regimen.

My hair type is somewhere between 4a and 4b. my hair has always been rather long (about apl relaxed) my hair is now about bsl and my goal is floor length :lol: kidding. My short term goal is mbl and long term is between wl and tbl. I do want to let it be known that i don't really want to transition because I prefer wearing my hair straight.

I am now beginning to do my hair at home. I always used to go to Dominican salons and my dad used to own 1 so that's all I knew and i felt like african american salons catered more to weaves. I would wash and set and blow. I didn't know that damages your hair b4 this website and that is probably y I have so many split ends. I want to get my hair long, strong and healthy.

Here is the list of products I have:

silicon mix cond
joico moisture recovery balm
chi silk infusion
creme of nature argan oil shampoo
ORS hair mayonnaise
aussie moist cond
aussie 3-min cond
suave almond+shea butter cond
black castor oil
coconut oil
ORS olive oil replenishing cond
suave coconut cond
herbal essences hello hydration
aphogee two-step protein treatment ( i thought it was the 2min smh)
aphogee pro vitamin leave-in cond
Njoy's sulfur mix
msm capsules
peppermint, rosemary, and olive oil
linange agua magica

relaxers: ORS olive oil, and alter ego linange with shea butter

I need to stop the shedding and split ends. I like creamy leave-ins but dont know which ones are best. some one please suggest products to add and to take out. and also help me with a regimen because mine is all over the place. I basically do not have 1. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

photo.jpg

Once or twice a week, deep condition. After dc'ing, shampoo your hair and follow with a cowash.

This way, you don't have to hop in and out of the shower a bunch of times. One shower and you're done. :yep:

Daily, moisturize, massage your growth aid into your scalp and take your vitamins.

Sorry to say, but no one can tell you which products will work for your hair, you'll have to figure that out on your own by paying special attention to how your hair feels after each step.

As far as which products to add, Sally's is now carrying a line called As I Am Naturally that I've heard nothing but good things about. And a member here named Supergirl has a fantastic line of products called Silk Dreams
www.silkdreamshaircare.com

And you can't go wrong with ORS, Hollywood Beauty and Profectiv. They have great, affordable, easily accessible products. :yep:

Welcome and good luck! :grin:

i agree with tiffers.....its a process of trail and error that is painstaking for some. i would only use the aphogee 2 step every 8-12 weeks. i would do styles that don't use direct heat and be open to doing curly/ textured styles so that its low manipulation. have you tried co-washing yet? are you prone to dryness or do you stretch your relaxers?

Once or twice a week, deep condition. After dc'ing, shampoo your hair and follow with a cowash.

This way, you don't have to hop in and out of the shower a bunch of times. One shower and you're done. :yep:

Daily, moisturize, massage your growth aid into your scalp and take your vitamins.

Sorry to say, but no one can tell you which products will work for your hair, you'll have to figure that out on your own by paying special attention to how your hair feels after each step.

As far as which products to add, Sally's is now carrying a line called As I Am Naturally that I've heard nothing but good things about. And a member here named Supergirl has a fantastic line of products called Silk Dreams
www.silkdreamshaircare.com

And you can't go wrong with ORS, Hollywood Beauty and Profectiv. They have great, affordable, easily accessible products. :yep:

Welcome and good luck! :grin:
THANK YOU! yes i do like deep conditioning first with certain conditioners but i tried it with the silicon mix once and it was a nightmare my hair felt nasty and like straw.

i agree with tiffers.....its a process of trail and error that is painstaking for some. i would only use the aphogee 2 step every 8-12 weeks. i would do styles that don't use direct heat and be open to doing curly/ textured styles so that its low manipulation. have you tried co-washing yet? are you prone to dryness or do you stretch your relaxers?
yes i have dont twist outs and i do wear buns a lot. i have been twisting and air drying but when i want it straight i go to the salon and get a roller set and wrap... I have co-washed but idk i feel like im doing something wrong and idk which conditioners to use. Do i use 1 or 2 or 3 and how many washes? is it just 1 was?....i did the aussie moist with the aussie 3-min and it felt okay but i was very unsure

and yes i am prone to dryness i need moisture! my hair is thirsty...when its hydrated it will look great but if not it gets very brittle and i get scared to comb, brush or touch it

If you need moisture a few good ones my hair likes are nexxus humectress/humectin matrix biolage hydrating. May not be the same for you, but I love those. Have you identified what's giving you splits? You may have to leave off the blow dry step when you get your roller sets.

My reggie once a week:

Prepoo with megatek and any oil minimum 1 hour
Wash with my super drug colour depositing shampoo
Apply aveda dr intensive or matrix biolage, I usually alternate weekly. Leave for 15 mins and rinse.
If I'm more than 6 weeks post I use kinky curly knot today to help detangle, if not I spray aphogee green tea and put in a bun/pony to air dry.
If I'm in the mood I blow dry using the tension method and flatiron my roots
Usually though I just apply giovanni direct lightly seal with an oil and tie it up.

Ignore hair until next wash day. At night I apply a lil giovanni direct to edges and ends if needed and wear my stocking cap. The end. HTH

hothair said:
If you need moisture a few good ones my hair likes are nexxus humectress/humectin matrix biolage hydrating. May not be the same for you, but I love those. Have you identified what's giving you splits? You may have to leave off the blow dry step when you get your roller sets.

My reggie once a week:

Prepoo with megatek and any oil minimum 1 hour
Wash with my super drug colour depositing shampoo
Apply aveda dr intensive or matrix biolage, I usually alternate weekly. Leave for 15 mins and rinse.
If I'm more than 6 weeks post I use kinky curly knot today to help detangle, if not I spray aphogee green tea and put in a bun/pony to air dry.
If I'm in the mood I blow dry using the tension method and flatiron my roots
Usually though I just apply giovanni direct lightly seal with an oil and tie it up.

Ignore hair until next wash day. At night I apply a lil giovanni direct to edges and ends if needed and wear my stocking cap. The end. HTH

Thanks! I have stopped blowing out now. No I haven't identified but I haven't gotten a trim since I stopped blowing which I do need to do. Also 1 thing I haven't seen but I know I prob horrible is that when I find my hair doesn't look right down any more and I put it in a bun and the bun isn't full I tease my hair smh (like I hold sections of hair out while in ponytail and brush the hair towards my scalp. Yea im sure that's pretty bad. Also, do u brush ur hair for buns and ponytails? Because I've seen some say it's damaging but what else would u use??

jazzybklyn

you should moisturize with a water based cream and seal with an oil or butter several times a week. how often do you trim? you may need to trim a little more the next go around, like 2-3 inches. if you are scared to let someone do it your could do it your self.
you could create an oil mix that is 1/3 blk castor and the rest evco and evoo.

i'm tagging folks for ya:
Lita
IDareT'sHair
Coffee
empressri
SmileyNY
Eisani
FlowerHair
Nonie

i don't co-wash but most folks just wet the hair massage it through and rinse. people either dc before or dc or sometimes condish after. do a search on co-washing. the suave almond and shea, aussie 3min, hello hydration, aussie moist could be your co-wash condishes.

i would dilute the cream of nature poo everytime you wash. 1-2 pts poo too 2-4 pts water. you'll get less buildup that way. follow with a leave-in and i would do like tiffers said and dc or pre-poo on dry hair before i wash. i too am lazy and don't do all that hopping in and out of the shower. consider washing your hair in 6-8 celie style plaits that are looser at the root/base so you have less tangling. use your leave-in after.

now what i did notice is that quite a few of your products have cones which could possibly build up on the hair and stop you getting moisture in your strands. maybe some of the ladies will make some recs for clarifying poos. what about using a donut to fill your bun out instead of teasing? watch your edges carefully when your bun, alot of people have fine edges though the rest of their hair is a different density/thickness.

if you want an additional leave-in and some mositurizers claudie revitalizer,darcy's botanicals and few others would the great place to start. i tagged the pj gangsta IDareT'sHair for ya:lol:

@jazzybklyn

you should moisturize with a water based cream/lotion and seal with an oil or butter several times a week. how often do you trim? you may need to trim a little more the next go around, like 2-3 inches. if you are scared to let someone do it your could do it your self.

@Lita
@IDareT'sHair
@Coffee
@empressri
@SmileyNY
@Eisani
@FlowerHair
@Nonie

i don't co-wash but most folks just wet the hair massage it through and rinse. people either dc before or dc or sometimes condish after. do a search on co-washing. the suave almond and shea, aussie 3min, hello hydration, aussie moist could be your co-wash condishes.

i would dilute the cream of nature poo everytime you wash. 1-2 pts poo too 2-4 pts water. you'll get less buildup that way. follow with a leave-in and i would do like @tiffers said and dc or pre-poo on dry hair before i wash. i too am lazy and don't do all that hopping in and out of the shower. consider washing your hair in 6-8 celie style plaits that are looser at the root/base so you have less tangling. use your leave-in after, but the aphogee one maybe too much protein for weekly use i would do every other week.

now what i did notice is that quite a few of your products have cones which could possibly build up on the hair and stop you getting moisture in your strands. maybe some of the ladies will make some recs for clarifying poos. what about using a donut to fill your bun out instead of teasing? watch your edges carefully when your bun, alot of people have fine edges though the rest of their hair is a different density/thickness.

Hello ladies my name is Jasmin :wave: I have been stalking this website for a couple months now and i felt it was finally time to shell out my $6.50 :lol: in the stalking process i have learned a lot of things but a lot also confuses me. I would greatly appreciate if some of you would help me in building a regimen.

silicon mix cond
joico moisture recovery balm
chi silk infusion
creme of nature argan oil shampoo
ORS hair mayonnaise
aussie moist cond
aussie 3-min cond
suave almond+shea butter cond
black castor oil
coconut oil
ORS olive oil replenishing cond
suave coconut cond
herbal essences hello hydration
aphogee two-step protein treatment ( i thought it was the 2min smh)
aphogee pro vitamin leave-in cond
Njoy's sulfur mix
msm capsules
peppermint, rosemary, and olive oil
linange agua magica

relaxers: ORS olive oil, and alter ego linange with shea butter

I need to stop the shedding and split ends. I like creamy leave-ins but dont know which ones are best. some one please suggest products to add and to take out. and also help me with a regimen because mine is all over the place. I basically do not have 1. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmm, you've listed quite a few things my hair loved while texlaxed. Instead of recommending a bunch of new products to try, i'd say add a chelating and a sulfate-free shampoo to your arsenal and make a few changes to your regimen and you should be in good shape. I agree with whomever said you may want to trim if your ends are ragged or thin. You're doing the right thing protective styling, and keep in mind everyone's hair experiences won't be the same. I went to Dominican salons and had great results, no heat damage. Then again, I got roots only blow dried and I didn't go weekly. Rollersets are great styles.

You could make a killer prepoo with some of the products you listed: suave coconut or shea and almond conditioner, add jbco, evoo, and peppermint oil. You can apply and leave on anywhere from 15 min to overnight, wash hair in sections, and follow up with one of your dc's, moisturize with Aussie Moist or Hello Hydration, and seal with jbco. I used to do a very similar prepoo and my hair did very well. Sealing and keeping your ends protected will help a lot. I don't wanna write a novel, but shoot me a pm if you have questions. Welcome!

My Reggie is once a week
Shampoo with Cream of Nature Argan Oil
Deep Condition with Cream of Nature Condtioner
Airdry and bun
Rarely flat iron

southerncitygirl said:
jazzybklyn

you should moisturize with a water based cream and seal with an oil or butter several times a week. how often do you trim? you may need to trim a little more the next go around, like 2-3 inches. if you are scared to let someone do it your could do it your self.

Lita
IDareT'sHair
Coffee
empressri
SmileyNY
Eisani
FlowerHair
Nonie

i would dilute the cream of nature poo everytime you wash. 1-2 pts poo too 2-4 pts water. you'll get less buildup that way. follow with a leave-in and i would do like tiffers said and dc or pre-poo on dry hair before i wash. i too am lazy and don't do all that hopping in and out of the shower. consider washing your hair in 6-8 celie style plaits that are looser at the root/base so you have less tangling. use your leave-in after.

Thank you so much that was very helpful

Eisani said:
Hmm, you've listed quite a few things my hair loved while texlaxed. Instead of recommending a bunch of new products to try, i'd say add a chelating and a sulfate-free shampoo to your arsenal and make a few changes to your regimen and you should be in good shape. I agree with whomever said you may want to trim if your ends are ragged or thin. You're doing the right thing protective styling, and keep in mind everyone's hair experiences won't be the same. I went to Dominican salons and had great results, no heat damage. Then again, I got roots only blow dried and I didn't go weekly. Rollersets are great styles.

You could make a killer prepoo with some of the products you listed: suave coconut or shea and almond conditioner, add jbco, evoo, and peppermint oil. You can apply and leave on anywhere from 15 min to overnight, wash hair in sections, and follow up with one of your dc's, moisturize with Aussie Moist or Hello Hydration, and seal with jbco. I used to do a very similar prepoo and my hair did very well. Sealing and keeping your ends protected will help a lot. I don't wanna write a novel, but shoot me a pm if you have questions. Welcome!

That sounds so good. I will deff give that a try. Thank you!

SuchaLady said:
My Reggie is once a week
Shampoo with Cream of Nature Argan Oil
Deep Condition with Cream of Nature Condtioner
Airdry and bun
Rarely flat iron

Nice and simple I like! Thanks

One other question u had was how do I balance protein and moisture? Like when to use the ORS hair mayo and when to use the joico moisture recovery do I alternate weeks?

just alternate weeks for simplicity.....because you are chemically treated overmoisturizing or excess protein could cause issues either way. the hardcore protein should only be used every 6-8 weeks or even after your touch-ups. i'm natural and my hair loves lots of both plus ceramides but each head of hair is different. keep a hair journal with what you use at any given time.

@jazzybklyn

Hey there relaxed newbie! :hiya:

So glad you joined the board. Tiffers made an excellent point about trial and error with products. However, since your hair is dry like mine, here's a snapshot of what I do weekly:

Shampoo Suave Daily Clarifying, then use Nexxus Therappe, then deep condition with Nexxus Humctress or Motions CPR (I rotate to try to keep my protein/moisture balance). I add 1 tablespoon of honey and Extra Virgin Olive oil to each deep conditioner - I heat this in the microwave for 12 seconds first because cold honey will naturally lighten your hair over time.

Cowash 3x weekly using Garnier Triple Moisture and Herbal Essences (Long Term Relationship/Touchably Smooth) on rotation.

I always airdry.

My daily regimen is just moisturizing with ORS Carrot Oil and Neutrogena Triple Moisture in the morning and at night.

I have castor oil, hot 6 oil, and Extra Virgin Coconut Oil on rotation.

Good luck and go ahead and trim off those splits! You don't have to trim them all at once. You can just do 1/4 a month and that will help tremendously! :yep:

southerncitygirl said:
just alternate weeks for simplicity.....because you are chemically treated overmoisturizing or excess protein could cause issues either way. the hardcore protein should only be used every 6-8 weeks or even after your touch-ups. i'm natural and my hair loves lots of both plus ceramides but each head of hair is different. keep a hair journal with what you use at any given time.

Will do...thank you so much

sunnieb said:
@jazzybklyn

Hey there relaxed newbie! :hiya:

So glad you joined the board. Tiffers made an excellent point about trial and error with products. However, since your hair is dry like mine, here's a snapshot of what I do weekly:

Shampoo Suave Daily Clarifying, then use Nexxus Therappe, then deep condition with Nexxus Humctress or Motions CPR (I rotate to try to keep my protein/moisture balance). I add 1 tablespoon of honey and Extra Virgin Olive oil to each deep conditioner - I heat this in the microwave for 12 seconds first because cold honey will naturally lighten your hair over time.

Cowash 3x weekly using Garnier Triple Moisture and Herbal Essences (Long Term Relationship/Touchably Smooth) on rotation.

I always airdry.

My daily regimen is just moisturizing with ORS Carrot Oil and Neutrogena Triple Moisture in the morning and at night.

I have castor oil, hot 6 oil, and Extra Virgin Coconut Oil on rotation.

Good luck and go ahead and trim off those splits! You don't have to trim them all at once. You can just do 1/4 a month and that will help tremendously! :yep:

Thank you!! I will deff add the honey and evoo I have tons of it..,,,, I trimmed about 2 inches earlier *sigh* but my hair looks better already....do u use n e leave-ins to air dry?

^^^ Yes, I always use leave-ins to airdry. Otherwise, my hair would look and feel like straw!

I use ORS Carrot Oil, NTM, and Rusk Smoother.

Sent from my Comet using LHCF

OMG i just used NTM leave-in yesterday and i loveeee it...my twist out came out out niceeee, i trimmed my hair my self and it looks much better without the split ends. I'm APL now. It feels like it will take forever to grow to where i want it and i feel like that set me back. I need to learn to be patient :(

Thanks! I have stopped blowing out now. No I haven't identified but I haven't gotten a trim since I stopped blowing which I do need to do. Also 1 thing I haven't seen but I know I prob horrible is that when I find my hair doesn't look right down any more and I put it in a bun and the bun isn't full I tease my hair smh (like I hold sections of hair out while in ponytail and brush the hair towards my scalp. Yea im sure that's pretty bad. Also, do u brush ur hair for buns and ponytails? Because I've seen some say it's damaging but what else would u use??

That could be your problem right there! Your styling techniques may be too abrasive and could contribute to splits. I agree you don't need new products but you need to work on your technique.

Something I read when I started on here: treat your hair like fine silk. If you want smooth edges moisturise and tie down overnight. Works every time.

Do a google lhcf search on specific ideas, they should bring up older threads with loads of info

Back