newbie needs help

MissMariee

Hey all! I'm new here as of this morning and I need some suggestions. I did the BC June 16th and I've already noticed some growth, my problem is breakage! I cowash and finger detangle every morning and comb every 2-3 days. This morning I was in the shower and noticed a significant amount of hair. I noticed some breakage and some shed hair but it was still quite a bit. How do I put an end to this breakage?! I wrap my hair every night and am trying to retain as much length as possible with out protective styling.

Blairx0 said:
How do /mositurize/ style your hair?

I moisturize with tresemme naturals conditioner and seal with evoo. I do wash n gos everyday as my hair is still very short I can barely get it in a ponytail.

Are there any good protein treatments I could try and could get at a rite aid/Walgreens/cvs. Also, how would I use it?

Just throw an egg in whatever conditioner you have for protein.maybe you could do a strand test and see if your hair is dry or weak.

Take a shed strand and pull it. If it snaps immediately you need mositure if it streches for a long time before snaping you need protein...or at least that is how I understand it. Good luck and enjoy Your DC

Last edited:
Stop manipulating your hair daily. I think you should cut down the amount of times you're washing because you're going to be forced to want to detangle every single time you wash. The more you handle it while wet, the more you're going to have breakage. I would incorporate a light protein weekly as well.

Stop manipulating your hair daily. I think you should cut down the amount of times you're washing because you're going to be forced to want to detangle every single time you wash. The more you handle it while wet, the more you're going to have breakage. I would incorporate a light protein weekly as well.

I agree with this post completely. There are members on here who have reached long lengths without protective styling. Try to find a style that you can wear for a few days so that your hair can get more rest.

Just to check, what do you wrap your hair with at night? I would avoid anything with cotton or polyester fibers (which contain cotton). Those types of fabrics will suck the moisture out of your hair and the friction of the fabric against your hair strands can contribute to breakage.

Silk or satin would be a better choice (esp. charmeuse). You can even go to your local craft store and buy an inexpensive yard of charmeuse and use that as a scarf. I myself recently got a charmeuse bonnet and and can really tell a difference in the moisture level of my hair (this type of fabric has fibers that are tightly woven together and help prevent moisture loss). I plan to go to local fabric store so that I can fashion my own scarf.

Btw, welcome to the forum! :)

Back