Newbie - Jewel - In need of love and help..

MrsSmitty77

I am new to the board. I have been reading a trying to find my way around for about a week. In anycase I am on a journey to grow my hair. Before this board I have come to realize I was doing so much wrong such as, wrapping wet hair with a small tooth come, washing every 10 days to 2 weeks. Hardly ever DC and many, many more terrible offenses. My hair is 4a/b, very dry, thin through the length although it comes out my roots thick. I have had hair on the floor every day I comb. I could never grow past the top of my shoulders and you could darn near see right through it. I didn't not however used to be that way, I got divorced 4 years ago and let myself go to heck taking care of the kids. I hope to grow my hair with love using what I have been learning on LHCF to grow my hair. My last relaxer was June 24th and I am currently wearing braids I had put in August 1st. I plan to take them out in a few weeks and I am scared to death. And if you all can give me some suggest on what I may want to do once I take the braids out leading up to my next relaxer.

Attachments

• Braids 8_20_09.JPG
    Braids 8_20_09.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 10
Welcome to the board. I am a natural but with 4 type hair. If you plan on keeping the relaxer in your hair I know some ladies will come in and make some suggestions.

I would suggest when you do hear from those who are keeping their hair relaxed look at their regimens and see what works for you. You may get quite a few suggestions but you will need to determine what is best for your hair and you will know that by the way your hair responds to what you are doing.

So always listen to your hair. Now that you are watching and listening you will see what it needs or does not need.

Glad you are on the healthy hair journey as well as the journey of taking care of yourself now.

Best wishes to you.

hey girlfriend. I will be the first one to say welcome! I'm a semi-newbie..but I know my way around here. First you need to find a condition for everyday use. If my hair is up I use VO5 moisture milks and put some oil on top..like castor oil..almond oil.(most PURE oils can be found at whole foods or Gnc. It's all about moisture and protein balance. Find a good protein deep conditioner..but follow it with a moisturizing conditioner. Keratin is a protein..so you can look for that ingredients..and most moisturizing conditioners say it on the bottle. I think you may need to pay close to the boundary between your new growth and relaxed. Try not to come you hair too much. Oh don't forget to take your time detangling your hair after you take out your braids..before washing. If any of the veterans find something wrong with my advice..please edit. See you around..and good luck!

:wave: Welcome!

You've come to right place.

There is so much to share, and I can't give it all in one shot! :drunk:

I will say, condition and keep your hair moisturized particularly when the braids come out.

Other's think differently, but be careful with braids on relaxed hair. The tension can lead to breakage (different than shedding). Keep the braids loose and don't keep them in for more than 2-4 weeks. Don't be alarmed at the amount of shed hair that falls when you undo your braids.

Relaxed hair is the most fragile hair (I'm relaxed) and special care must be taken.

Once out of your braids, deep condition using protein conditioners - we found that protein is a relaxed girls friend as well as moisture, but not as much as protein.

Find a way to do protective styles that reduce manipulation (pin your hair up, faux pony's, buns if you like, etc.)

Keep heat to a mininum (if at all except for special ocassions) and understand that starting out, you may not always be perfectly coiffed, but as long as your hair is clean, moisturized and smells good. Water is your friend too, inside and outside.

Don't get on every bandwagon, read, read, watch and read some more as you understand and learn to have a better relationship with your personal hair type.

Happy Hair Growing (HHG)!

:hiya:WELCOME!!! HHG!

I'm a newbie too, but I've been reading for a while, and you hair sounds like mine about 2 yrs ago. First of all, stress thins your hair (but you already know that). Second, I'll co-sign januarynoir (whom I love from afar, btw, heeey gurl), and take it one step further: be very, very careful with braids/extensions/weaves of any kind on that kind of hair. Third, it sounds like you might benefit from some silk on your strands, before and after you relax. (excellent thread about silk and relaxers: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=112817)

Lastly, from here on out, you might want to co-wash twice a week instead of shampooing every 10 days or so. If you really feel like you need to use shampoo, make sure it doesn't have any of that icky sodium lauryl sulfate, and use it twice a month, while still cowashing.

Oh yeah, you need a wide tooth comb. A lot of ladies here use a specific brand, but I'm unclear on that.

Back