Newbie in need,Can't get ANY control over breakage during my transition

MrJohnsonsRib

I have 4b(I think) short relaxed hair,like my siggy pic but maybe 2 inches or more longer plus a wee bit of newgrowth. Everyone that touches my head says that I have EXTRA thick hair and I've never been good at hair care. I greased and hotcombed til I killed it with relaxers and overprocessing for over 15 years.....much thanks LHCF for helping me realize that I was a serial relaxer....anyhoo. I can't stop breakage during my lil transition...I mean I was stretching but decided to just let the chemical go but I don't know what to do. It don't help that I'm tenderheaded and that my job requires a hat everyday and that a big chop sounds scary....at least to see how folks will look when I come around with a TWA(especially hubby),but a BC could like be the answer maybe... maybe?? Ladies? Somebody tell me something cause I'm gonna squeeze $7 out for a relaxer but I don't want to give up I really don't. I want to exhaust all of my options before I relax,cause thats the whole point of a transition...not to relax.

My reggie is somewhat under construction but the only things that I have been really using is: *KeraCare Oil Moisturizer w/Jojoba Oil
*Hot six Oil or Kemi Oyl for a sealer (just tried castor oil this morn)
*NO HEAT EVER-which was not hard for me surprisingly
*I wash about 3/4 times a week and I have been CoWashing the past week with some really cheapy condish that I just want to use and get rid of
*I just started using the ApHogee 6 week protein treatment about 7 weeks ago (I know I'm due)
*I have been using ORS Condish Pak like 2x week but leaving it on for like 10 hours overnight.
*I don't style it cause I just wash it, moisturize,seal, comb back, throw on my cap and go.
*I tried honey and EVOO like a hot oil treatment and Yogurt and egg like a protein condish treatment a couple times...it seems to change my hair but I have not mastered listening to my hair to be sure its working.
*I wear my half wig to achieve a cute style when going to a function or I need to look nice
*My other products are Olive Oil Sheen, Motions Shampoo and Condish, I keep Suave Clarifying, on rare occasion I use Jam Gel/Pro Style Gel, but I normally wash that out before the day is out sometimes sooner.
*I stay in Alaska so it's dry and cold and very windy at times.
*Most breakage seems to come from the back
*My hair was cut short and shaved down in the back which may be why I have such long hair in the top and middle(which is mostly relaxed ends) but the hairline and back just seems like dry, brittle, kinky newgrowth (with no relaxed hair)

I know this is a bunch to read, but I just think it's courteous to give as much detail as possible if I expect beneficial advice in return. I've never had any hair sense so for the sake of info just assume I'm clueless about hair care, cause I kinda am in a sense.:yep: Thanks Ladies in advance! The more ideas the better.-Very respectfully, MJRib

Welcome, Im a newbie too. I have some breakage issues as well but I recently tried blackstrap molasses last night to stop the breaking and it worked very well. It didnt completely stop the breakage but I think if I apply it for the next few co-washes it will work to cut it out completely. I hope this helps.

I see that you live in Alaska- How do you think the weather is affecting your hair? I'm in NJ and the cold here is rough on my tresses.

Wearing a hat every day, This is probably contributing to your breakage. Make sure you hair is well oiled and also you really should put a piece of silk over your hair before you put your hat on (all the time)

- Maybe in your cold climate, you'd do good to use heat for deep conditioning. The cold could be making your hair brittle. Tell me more about your air drying please.

*I wash about 3/4 times a week and I have been CoWashing the past week with some really cheapy condish that I just want to use and get rid of
*I just started using the ApHogee 6 week protein treatment about 7 weeks ago (I know I'm due) My hair does not like ApHogee, The protein is too strong, you may be having a similar issue
*I have been using ORS Condish Pak like 2x week but leaving it on for like 10 hours overnight.
Note that ORS is a Mild Protein and may be contributing to a protein overload since you're already using ORS

*I tried honey and EVOO like a hot oil treatment and Yogurt and egg like a protein condish treatment a couple times...it seems to change my hair but I have not mastered listening to my hair to be sure its working.
I would avoid using honey in cold weather - Also I'd avoid the extra protein if you're already using ors & aPhogee

*I wear my half wig to achieve a cute style when going to a function or I need to look nice - Sounds good just make sure you're oilde & moisturized.

*My other products are Olive Oil Sheen, Motions Shampoo and Condish, I keep Suave Clarifying, on rare occasion I use Jam Gel/Pro Style Gel, but I normally wash that out before the day is out sometimes sooner.

Most breakage seems to come from the back Be careful with tying on scarves, they sometimes cause breakage if tied too tight.

PM me if you need to.

Welcome. It does sound like you have a lot going on. Maybe try Keeping it simple. May not need all that you use. I always suggest what worked for me, and I've read others. Sit back and relax. On your next wash day use a clarifying shampoo (dust off the suave). Then try using the Aphogee 2 min keratin condish 10-15 min w/ heat or hot towel. Then folllow the protein w/ a moisturizing DC for 30-45 w/ heat if possible (do not use ORS Rep pak), tyr Aussie 3 min Deep (heard good reviews, gonna try it myself this week). Have a moisturizing based leave-in (i.e. Neutrogena silk touch or search boards for more),and an oil to seal coconut oil is nice or sweet almond (personal favs)--both can be found in the supermarkets (inexpensive). I have used the Keracare oil moisturizer, only made my hair greasy, then dry (contains mineral oil). Def use a silk or satin scarf or doo-rag under your hats. Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress.

I see that you live in Alaska- How do you think the weather is affecting your hair? I'm in NJ and the cold here is rough on my tresses.

Wearing a hat every day, This is probably contributing to your breakage. Make sure you hair is well oiled and also you really should put a piece of silk over your hair before you put your hat on (all the time)

- Maybe in your cold climate, you'd do good to use heat for deep conditioning. The cold could be making your hair brittle. Tell me more about your air drying please.

*I just started using the ApHogee 6 week protein treatment about 7 weeks ago (I know I'm due) My hair does not like ApHogee, The protein is too strong, you may be having a similar issue
Note that ORS is a Mild Protein and may be contributing to a protein overload since you're already using ORS

I would avoid using honey in cold weather - Also I'd avoid the extra protein if you're already using ors & aPhogee

*I wear my half wig to achieve a cute style when going to a function or I need to look nice - Sounds good just make sure you're oilde & moisturized.

Most breakage seems to come from the back Be careful with tying on scarves, they sometimes cause breakage if tied too tight.

PM me if you need to.

THANK YOU SO SO MUCH!!!:clapping::notworthy Your advice was very awesome...I'm in the military so I don't know if I can wear a scarf underneath BUT I will see if I can hem a piece inside to help some. I may be able to get away with that at least. I usually air dry because I don't have to to heat dry when I do my mandatory workout in the mornings and have to go to work. It's just the timing but I can't just wear my hair sweaty/stinky,ya know so I just wash, moisturize, seal and go...Its not the most attractive hairstyle but I manage. We normally have like a ball cap style hat but in the winter we can wear the "beanie" type hats in uniform. Living in alaska sucks you dry...I mean you can put on lotion and your legs will be ashy before you leave the 9-5. You NEED body butter up here. If it kills your skin I can only imagine what my hair is going thru.:nono: I read thru a few threads and I actually camse across the ORS:Moisturize or Protein Controversy and it got me thinking, so it could quite possibly be too much protein huh? I've tried to give the KeraCare a chance since I paid $14 for it but it does seem to leave me greasy then dry before ya know it.I even applied some sunday before church and threw on my half wig and I felt dry 6 hours later...?? (puzzled look) I will also try and tie my scarves to the front more and see how that works out.

The first thing that came to mind is that you may be using too much protein. Protein is important for those who relax (since relaxers break the hair's bonds--protein helps strengthen those broken bonds). It's not as important for those who are natural (or transitioning with a lot of new growth).

Also, you may be shampooing too much, which can be bad if your shampoo is harsh and not moisturizing. Your hair should not squeak or feel stripped after shampooing.

And a tip on finding good moisturizers is: if you rub it on your skin and it doesn't sink in well or feel good on your skin, chances are it won't sink in and moisturize your hair well either.

And since you live in cold, dry conditions I would suggest laying off products or oils (like castor oil) that are humectants. Humectants work well in warm, humid climates to pull moisture from the air into your hair. In dry conditions it just pulls the moisture from your hair. If you find that you have products that worked well a few months ago or in warmer weather, but not now, maybe you should temporarily shelve them.

Thanks for the thorough post. I hope more ladies come in with help/suggestions. Good luck to you.

P.S.
Be sure to always, always sleep in a silk or satin (NOT cotton or polyester--which has cotton in it) scarf/bonnet at night. And if you wear a scarf tie it at the front (like Tupac) so that it doesn't rub in the back where your hair is breaking.

maybe do a weekly wash and DC, braid it up and wear a full wig, moisturizing each night, but not combing or brushing, just keep it braided up. and each week repeat. Stop manipulating it and moisturize like crazy and see what happens?

I was doing some thinking and....it's really, I mean really cold up here in alaska, not to mention extremely dry too. Every search I seem to do on moisturizing I always see honey, glycerin, aloe vera liquid but I also read that those types of humectants and such are actually BAD in low humidity-so what is GOOD in low humidity? I really need something because y hair is just terrible. I've spent weeks just trying to find a moisturizer, Ihaven't even really touched other issues like my hair tools or my regimen-I'm trying to stop theis breakage from my brittle hair :nono:...I would really appreciate if anybody could tell me what is good for my natural newgrowth and my relaxed ends..I'm tempted to cut so I can have ONE texture ot worry about. I guess I have to do some more searching and pick up stuff from the store tomorrow after work. I'm just so tired ya'll of not being able to keep the 2-4 inches of hair I got now....:wallbash:

Hello and welcome! :-)

I am also thinking too much protein..or you are sensitive to it. I would increase moisture...and perhaps braid it (if you can) and keep it moisturized and under a instant weave. I think that too much manipulation can cause breakage during a transition. With your length, I would keep it really simple and let it do it's thing..

So what's a good moisturizer for a cold dry place like Alaska? I have not used anything "protein" in days and I think a lot of breakage is coming from my line of demarcation. My hair is weird. I have a very long front down to the middle probably b/c I had a cropped short cut style, but my front was thriving the most and in the middle half way its just nappy dry newgrowth that has no relaxed parts-it just feels so piecy/choppy as if it's breaking off in patches. You know what, I'm finna go buy a truck load of wigs cause I look a hot mess ya'll.:nono: Can somebody direct me to the closest wig challenge please??....:lachen:

Back