Newbie here

mikamika

I am just starting out on my hair care Journey. I am permed and my little one is natural. What are some staple products I need to add to my regime and how do I determine our hair types.

Welcome! You should check out some of the relaxed threads. Some of my staples are: S-curl & Elasta QP Mango Butter as a moisturizer. For shampoos and conditioners, I really like As I Am sulfate free shampoo and conditioner. As far as determining your hair type, can you post some pics of your NG w/o product? It might be a little difficult determining your hair type sense your hair is relaxed but if you have enough NG some of the more experienced ladies might be able to help.

Good Luck with your journey!

Thanks for the warm welcome. I am due for a co wash tomorrow after I work out. I will update it then with pics of both mine and my daughter
s hair

Welcome. Its hard to know unless you try some things and remember/take note of the ingredients and how the hair reacts to it.

Hi Welcome! Have you read the Science of Black Hair? If not it would be good place because it breaks down the products and regimen building. It really helped me along the way.

Good luck on your journey! :)

Welcome.gif

The rudiments of a good regimen includes of at least one of the following:

- Moisturizing Shampoo
- Clarifying Shampoo (or Chelating Shampoo if you use a no-lye relaxer)
- Moisturizing DC
- Protein DC/Reconstructor (that contains keratin and collagen)
- Leave-in Conditioner/Moisturizer (should be protein-free until you become more familiar with your hair’s needs)
- Sealant (an oil or butter, or both)

As a PP suggested, it would be beneficial to keep track of the ingredients of the products being used, and how the hair responds to them because it will go a long way in helping you to unearth staple products.

Below is a link to a thread that contains useful information for new members. And, of course, welcome to the site!

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=389082

Back