newbie here. :)

Roxyness

hello, everyone. i've been a lurker since i was fifteen years old (i'm eighteen, now) and i finally joined tonight! yay!

i believe my hair type is a 4A. :)

however, i've been having some issues with shedding, lately. my hair never shed this much, ever. i've always been complimented on how much hair i have, now it's just getting thinner and thinner.

now, i believe this started happening in january. i got my hair relaxed at some salon, i made sure i coated the already relaxed hair and everything, but jeebers.. ever since, it's been falling out so badly.

some of the new products i had purchased since then are cantu shea butter leave-in and the silicon mix leave-in conditioner, as well as alternating between protein treatments one week (hair mayo) and deep conditioning the next week.

sooo.. is protein the culprit here? i figured out today silicon mix leave-in has silk protein in it and shea butter leave-in has hydrolized collagen which is also a protein.. hmm..?

Welcome!

however, i've been having some issues with shedding, lately. my hair never shed this much, ever. i've always been complimented on how much hair i have, now it's just getting thinner and thinner.

now, i believe this started happening in january. i got my hair relaxed at some salon, i made sure i coated the already relaxed hair and everything, but jeebers.. ever since, it's been falling out so badly.

Are you sure it's shedding and not breakage?

If your hair is getting noticeably thinner due to shedding then I think it's probably an internal problem. Have you started or stopped a medication? been hospitalized? have an unhealthy diet? started or stopped supplements?

I'm not sure how a relaxer would cause you to shed more than normal, unless you were allergic to something in the relaxer or a product you've been using since then. Do you know what relaxer it was? Did you have any chemical burns afterward? any irritation?

Also, do you have eczema or any other type of skin condition that could be affecting your scalp?

Welcome. It's great that you're starting this journey so young. I can't wait until you post pictures.

welcome!!! i just came out of lurk mode myself!!:lachen:

I think that too much protein may be one of the culprits... weekly treatments plus daily usage= too much... (protein experts-- chime in please) MSA raised some great questions too!

for shedding, maybe try tea treatments:lick: and for good measure maybe a garlic supplement. hope this helps!

**tea treatments*** after reading a thread about the benefits of tea rinses / coffee... here is what i tried and i love it...

steep some tea (i like black tea--whatever is fine, but caffeinated), allow to cool and apply to scalp and thru hair... then i follow with conditioner (i.e honeysuckle rose or aussie moist)... gentle detangle & seran wrap for an hour or so... then rinse with water... this works very well for me:rolleyes:--
i try to do this weekly-- hope this helps!

Last edited:
Back