newbie- comments on my proposed regime

Danichoo

Hello ladies

I am based in the UK and been a lhcf lurker for years. I successfully grew my hair to CBL using lo manipulation , lo/no heat and cutting out any mineral oil or alchohol products.

Once I got that lenght I sure got lazy...the result , a cut by my smug stylist to my jaw, ,with layers I can only describe as Rod stewart.

so, this is what I plan to do.

-stretch to 10 weeks (instead of 4-6)
-self relax
- only relax edges every 3 relaxers,
-co-wash twice weekly with dark and lovely cholestrol
-seal with Evoo
-air dry
-wear a bun/ freanch pleat
-aphogee reconstructer every 6 weeks

I do have a toni and guy protein spray, but this just makes my hair hard (esp newgrowth , am 6 weeks past relaxer)
anytips on how to use this?

Also , what should Iuse as a daily moisturiser?

Long term goal is APL, but for now CBL.

ANy help would be very appreciated, right now my hiar is short and dirty brown. If I can at least get it back to black and healthy I would be happy. some of the shine y'all have ...i need glasses!:yep:

on my journey is my sister (half sister who's grandma is indian so has fine hair that curls when she sweats)
and my dear daughter, thick hair (shes half african so naturally her hair goes into little cabbage rows? I combed a texturiser thrrough to help)

SOrry for the essay!!!! Ill do some work on my profile and upload some pics asap- but now I have to go cook lunch for my kids

Danichoo

Your regimen sounds good to me. Just be careful co-washing with D&L cholesterol twice a week. I think it has protein in it and you don't want to get a protein overload.

I didn't see you mention deep conditioning or moisturizing so you may want to add those. Find a good deep conditioner to leave on under the dryer for 20 minutes. I like Elasta QP DPR-11 or Pantene R&N Breakage Defense Mask:lick:. How often you moisturize and seal is your preference. I do it daily.

I'm not familiar with Aphogee at all but I've heard it's a really strong protein and I'm thinking every 6 weeks may be too much for you. Most people I've seen use it every 4-6 months maybe. Hopefully someone will chime in that knows more about aphogee. Make sure you always follow up your protein with a deep conditioner.

Thank you so much for responding. I didnt realise D&L had protein in. Im pretty sure my hair doesnt really like protein that much- Do I HAVE to use it?

Ill get some of the Elasta QP stuff, I have a Wella self heat hair mask, maybe ill use that up first.

Daily conditioning, Im stuck with this, my hair hates mineral oil but my only alternative (in my cupboard) is curl activator which is too greasy...Even the stuff like motions, pink oil, just make me break out and my ends break.

Any tips on daily moisturisers?

Your hair is lovely btw

D

your hair is gonna look a HAM if you relax your hair straight but only do you edges every three relaxers.

whats the purpose? What is your hair texture? You should just relax it all togther, just apply it to your edges last. thsnk again I dont know, because I would relax my halo and not the rest of my hair.

Explain your reason for doing this please?

I thought maybe by not relaxing the edges I would save them? they are not growing at all and when I wanted to get an asymetric bob (high at the back, long at the front) my stylist said my nape line was so high due to overprocessing that I would have to have a really high cut at the back. so I thought I would look after them , get them to grow ...I nver get regrowth on my hair line but the middle grows like crazy....if you have any other suggestions, I am open ....

I agree with Pokahantas. Make sure you have a lot of moisture in there. The Cholesterol may not be the best thing to use all the time. Some good deep conditioning every week at least can work wonders. I DC at every wash, three times a week. :yep: As for the Aphogee, maybe use it as needed, rather than on a schedule.

Hey fellow UK'er :wave:,

I think what tenjoy is be right, I would relax the middle and leave the edges to last maybe relaxing just for 5 mins if that is all it takes. Leaving it might leave you with the problem of dealing with two textures

As for moisturisers, I have narrowed mine down to Kids organic shea butter moisturiser, if I am bunning as I am texlax and it can revert my hair, or Aveda universal styling creme. If you can find Qhemet heavy amla cream, that is nice as well. These are three I use and I seal with Jojoba oil.

A good mild protein conditioner to use is ORS. And I also agree a weekly deep condition will help, I don't play when it comes to that for me. I also use Aveda roducts as well- I would rate these and Redken as well.
Hope that helps, my regime is in my fotki or you can read the past feature of he month to help construct one as well.

Also... Drop the wella, I don't rate them for our hair, the only thing I would get from boots are, Aussie, Tresemme and Pantene

Last edited:
As a devout Aphogee fan, I only use it as needed which comes up to about every 2 months or so... I know that my hair can't handle all that protein too often... hth

Oh man!!!
thank you all so much..the message Im getting is BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD! ha ha

thats why I am glad I finally joined- not sure I can do this on my own.

I have learnt- not to use aphogee religiously
chuck out my wella
us cholestrol with care....

So I need a daily moisturiser and a deep conditioner. Im going to the hair store today anyway to get some hair for my daughters braids.

so , Elasta QP DPR for deep conditioning

my ends seems to like the curl activator i found for moisture and ill seal with Evoo

A new conditioner to co-wash...

I also read on a thread that I need to rinse with apple cider as I have porus hair...I need to go write this down!

no one said it would be easy..

So condition, moisture , seal. These are the basics?:perplexed

I would suggest

Co-wash conditioner
(moisturizing)
Herbal Essence Long Term Relationship conditioner
Suave Humectant

Leave-in/Daily Moisturizers (moisturizing)
NTM Silk Touch leave-in
pure Glycerin + Water + 100% Aloe Vera Gel

ETA: :welcome2:

Last edited:
Thank you so much for responding. I didnt realise D&L had protein in. Im pretty sure my hair doesnt really like protein that much- Do I HAVE to use it?

Ill get some of the Elasta QP stuff, I have a Wella self heat hair mask, maybe ill use that up first.

Daily conditioning, Im stuck with this, my hair hates mineral oil but my only alternative (in my cupboard) is curl activator which is too greasy...Even the stuff like motions, pink oil, just make me break out and my ends break.

Any tips on daily moisturisers?

Your hair is lovely btw

D
Yeah the motions and pink oil are a no go:nono:, lol. My favorite moisturizer is Qhemet's Amla and Olive Heavy Cream. You have to buy it online though......Qhemetbiologics.com. I also like s-curl and there's a good Cantu moisturizer that you can buy in most beauty supply stores. A lot of ladies like Elasta QP Mango Butter but I haven't tried it yet. It looks good though and smells great. You can get this in Rite-Aid I think.

A good conditioner to co-wash with is Herbal Hessence Hello Hydration......or any of the cheapies (suave, VO5, fructis) should be good for this.

You don't have to use protein but I would reccomend using a light one once in awhile. If you make sure to balance it out with moisture I don't think your hair will hate it. This will be something that you will have to experiment with to see what your hair likes.

Back