Newbie!!! Advice needed from Transitioners and Naturals!!!

neks4u2c

Hi everyone!!!! I've been lurking on LHCF since Dec. 07. This is my 1st post... I'm so excited!!! WOW! :drunk: I have not relaxed my hair since Nov. 07 and I am now contemplating whether or not to transition (this is a fierce internal battle! :perplexed). I have never seen my natural hair till now- I've had painful, damaging relaxers put on my hair all my life and never knew better! My new growth is about 2.5-3 inches but some spots, especially my temples are practically non-existant:wallbash:. I think my hair is 4A/4b with a strange patch of 3C on my nape. My relaxed strands are deplorable:nono:- 6 inches of dry, brittle straw is what I call them!
I guess what is fueling my indecision is fear of the unknown (will it suit me?, will my family approve?, etc). I have previously set aside March 21 to relax but if I can overcome my fears, I think I will skip this and make a final decision to transition. I would truly appreciate any and all support and I would like to sincerely thank all the wonderful ladies on LHCF for their great advice!!!!!

P.S- Sorry for the long post!

I also have this message as a post under the "Transitioning without BC'ing Challenge 2008"

Welcome to posting. I guess you have seen all the pros and cons to either side and even texlaxing.

It is more of a mental change you need to make than anything else. Whatever you decision will require work and knowledge on your part. You have to be okay with what you decide and be able to deal with all the comments you get whatever your decision may be.

On this site I can assure that whatever you decide you have 100% support from us. The most important goal is to have healthy, vibrant hair.

Natural is not only a change in your hair but your mental state also. You will be dealing with a part of your being that you have not seen for a very long time, so it will require you learning what your hair wants and needs. I for one think it is a very incredible adventure but I also had to make the mental change.

And yes, like probably everyone else here natural we had comments thrown at us some good, some bad and some ugly, but we have all survived and become stronger mentally because of it and mentally set free about our natural hair.

Now you may even decide if you go natural that you just prefer hair with chemicals that is fine also, you need to do you, but do it because it is what you prefer and not because of what someone is pushing you into or making you feel bad because of the decision you made.

Not sure if that helped. You can PM me if you like.

Welcome...

I'm newly natural after transitioning for about 7/8 months. I agree with misscocoface, the change that needs to happen is internal. You have to do what is best for you and not worry what anyone else has to say about. When people found out that I was transitioning they tried/said everything possible to make me change my mind. I was firm in my decision so it did not bother me one bit. I too was afraid that I would not look good with a twa but you know what I think it suits me very well (everyone else I know agrees). Sometimes you have to step out of your comfort zone inorder to make the best decision for you. I wish you well in whatever you decide to do. Feel free to PM if you'd like. Also check out my fotki for pics of my BC.

Welcome to posting. I guess you have seen all the pros and cons to either side and even texlaxing.

It is more of a mental change you need to make than anything else. Whatever you decision will require work and knowledge on your part. You have to be okay with what you decide and be able to deal with all the comments you get whatever your decision may be.

On this site I can assure that whatever you decide you have 100% support from us. The most important goal is to have healthy, vibrant hair.

Natural is not only a change in your hair but your mental state also. You will be dealing with a part of your being that you have not seen for a very long time, so it will require you learning what your hair wants and needs. I for one think it is a very incredible adventure but I also had to make the mental change.

And yes, like probably everyone else here natural we had comments thrown at us some good, some bad and some ugly, but we have all survived and become stronger mentally because of it and mentally set free about our natural hair.

Now you may even decide if you go natural that you just prefer hair with chemicals that is fine also, you need to do you, but do it because it is what you prefer and not because of what someone is pushing you into or making you feel bad because of the decision you made.

Not sure if that helped. You can PM me if you like.

Thank you so much!!! Making a decision to transition really is a mental challenge- I basically dream about how it would be if and when I BC!!! I guess the problem is that I have always had relaxed hair. I think I really need to forget about what others think and let my heart take the lead. Your advice has given me a great boost. Thanks again!!!!

Welcome...

I'm newly natural after transitioning for about 7/8 months. I agree with misscocoface, the change that needs to happen is internal. You have to do what is best for you and not worry what anyone else has to say about. When people found out that I was transitioning they tried/said everything possible to make me change my mind. I was firm in my decision so it did not bother me one bit. I too was afraid that I would not look good with a twa but you know what I think it suits me very well (everyone else I know agrees). Sometimes you have to step out of your comfort zone inorder to make the best decision for you. I wish you well in whatever you decide to do. Feel free to PM if you'd like. Also check out my fotki for pics of my BC.

Thanks!!!! The experiences you have described is exactly how I feel/what I am experiencing. The new texture is awesome but really new to me. You are so right- I need to step on out of my comfort zone especially for the health of my hair. What is a PM? I appreciate your advice!!!!!!

Thanks!!!! The experiences you have described is exactly how I feel/what I am experiencing. The new texture is awesome but really new to me. You are so right- I need to step on out of my comfort zone especially for the health of my hair. What is a PM? I appreciate your advice!!!!!!

Private message...:yep:

Why don't you try to stretch your relaxer out longer? That way you can see what it will be like to take care of your natural hair.

Thank you so much!!! Making a decision to transition really is a mental challenge- I basically dream about how it would be if and when I BC!!! I guess the problem is that I have always had relaxed hair. I think I really need to forget about what others think and let my heart take the lead. Your advice has given me a great boost. Thanks again!!!!

You are most welcome. Any questions about the process just jump in an ask there are a lot of us here who have gone through the transition.

Either way, best wishes on whatever you decided. Happy growing!!:yep:

Back