Newbie!!! Advice needed from Transitioners and Naturals!!!

neks4u2c

Hi everyone!!!! I've been lurking on LHCF since Dec. 07. This is my 1st post... I'm so excited!!! WOW! :drunk: I have not relaxed my hair since Nov. 07 and I am now contemplating whether or not to transition (this is a fierce internal battle! :perplexed). I have never seen my natural hair till now- I've had painful, damaging relaxers put on my hair all my life and never knew better! My new growth is about 2.5-3 inches but some spots, especially my temples are practically non-existant:wallbash:. I think my hair is 4A/4b with a strange patch of 3C on my nape. My relaxed strands are deplorable:nono:- 6 inches of dry, brittle straw is what I call them!
I guess what is fueling my indecision is fear of the unknown (will it suit me?, will my family approve?, etc). I have previously set aside March 21 to relax but if I can overcome my fears, I think I will skip this and make a final decision to transition. I would truly appreciate any and all support and I would like to sincerely thank all the wonderful ladies on LHCF for their great advice!!!!!

P.S- Sorry for the long post!

I also have this message as a post under the "Transitioning without BC'ing Challenge 2008"

Last edited:
First of all Welcome!

Second, girl you are in good company. Many of us had the same questions you have. Don't be scurrred. I mean I know how you feel but you just have to kind of be patient with yourself and your hair and take it one day at a time. It takes time to get to know your hair, for you to accept your hair, for you to figure out how to deal with people who don't approve of your hair, etc. It's all a learning process. I wish you the best of luck. There are lots of naturals and transitioners on this forum who can help you and have been through or are going through the same thing.

:welcome:

I still have a little fear. I'm grown with two children and I still wonder
what my mother and others are going to say. It's normal.

We are here to support you when or if you decide.

Hi NEWBIE !!! :grin:

I never relly paid much attention, but people did have

a lot to say when I decided to go natural.

Do what makes you happy...

Welcome!!!

I just joined this week and I completely understand how you are feeling. I have had either a relaxer or braids all my life. The past year I have had braids and did not relax my hair at all. I usually get my hair braided back to back, but this time I decided to wear my hair out for a few days :look: After that, everyone somehow managed to convince me to wear my hair out for a bit, so here I am :grin:. I have learned a lot in this short week, and have gone from burning my hair off between the blow fryer and flat iron :nono:, to wearing a twist out :yep:. So I am trying to learn just as much as you are. My mom doesn't like the natural look, and although she is 4 states away, I still don't want her thinking I look half crazy!! So I understand your fear of the "natural look".. I say just go with it! Its only hair. Have fun, but learn to do it right; and this is the right place to be for that :wink2:

I've been were you've been. And I decided to take the plunge and I have never regretted it. In fact I am glad that I have experienced life w/ my short nappy hair. It suits me, its convenient, and I can wear it at all ages. I am trying to grow my hair out right now. I think I had a slight advantage b/c when I was relaxed I had my hair cut in a pixie for a period of time so I know how I look w/ short hair. I would say go for it with a BC if you think it would look right on you. If not you can transition with braids for a while.

Back