New York or Detroit PJ ladies help me please

Guapa1

I'll be coming to New York and Detroit and will be staying at 141 East 44th Street in NY, and 3200 Broadwalk, Ann Arbour in Detroit, can anyone tell me where I can buy black hair products in these areas? I'd particaularly like to buy some suave products, and my friends wants me to get her some Dominican conditioners. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks a lot

Guapa,
In Ann Arbor, you can find the Suave products at Target, Meijer and Kmart. I haven't found any places that sell Dominican products yet in the Detroit area. I'm supposed to go to the only Dominican salon I've heard of in Detroit tomorrow. Hopefully then I'll be able to share with you places where you might be able to pick them up. I can PM you with the directions to those stores in the Ann Arbor area if you'd like.

Sorry to Hijack.... but.....Tai's been holding out!? What Dominican salon are you going to?

Welcome Quapa1!!!! There is a black beauty supply in Ypsi, just outside of A2, on Washtenaw. It's not listed either, but it's in a plaza w/the Sec. of State, so if you search for that listing you'll be able to find it. There's a Dunham's Sporting Good store in the plaza too. I haven't been there in a year or so since I left A2, but it's a nice size. The other place I love for hair stuff in A2, is the People's Food Co-op on 4th St. (I think), it's listed, so check. Anyhoo, they carry wonderful oils, EVOO, Almond Oil, Organic ACV etc. in bulk. They also carry the Nature's Gate line in bulk too and it's DIRT cheap!!! Their other stuff is high though. The other great place, should you be in the Detroit area is the Natural Food Patch in Fendale. Whew.... My favorite. They carry all of the Aubrey's stuff, Aloe Gelly, Nature's Gate full line, all the carrier oils and essential oils a girl could want. It's right on 9 Mile Road, just off of Woodward. Beg someone to take you, it's worth it, b/c they sell stuff cheap, cheap, cheap!!!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
And if you're a salon product junk (honey, I have all the vices
look.gif
) I love Beauty First, it's off of Washtenaw too in A2, in the Arborland Plaza.

Sengchick,
Girl, I have not been holding out. I haven't been and I don't even know exactly where it's at. A coworker is taking me tomorrow. All she told me is that it's in SW Detroit on McGraw.
ohwell.gif
As soon as I have an address and all the details, I will definately share.
smile.gif
I didn't know the Beauty First had already opened in A2. The site listed that it was coming soon.
There used to be another BSS on Washtenaw but that one was closer to A2, where the Rite Aid used to be and where the Credit Union was east of Hogback Rd. Do you know if that one closed up?
Guapa, there's also a health food store a bit closer to Ann Arbor in Livonia called Zerbo's Health foods on Plymouth Rd near Wayne and Stark. Plymouth rd actually runs all the way out to Ann Arbor so you can just take that instead of the freeway. It's about the same distance on top or on the freeway.

In NY your best bet is to go to 125th Street. You can find everything in one store. My personal favorite is Apollo Beuty supplies on 125th Street btw Lenox and 7th. Take the 2 or 3 rain and walk toward 7th.

Well, you can find Suave products at any Duane Reade in NYC. Duane Reades are practically on every other corner here in NYC. You can't miss them. You can find Dominican conditioners at any beauty supply store in East Harlem or Harlem. The ones I frequent are at 104th Street and Third Avenue, and 107th Street and Third Avenue. You can take the number 6 train to 103rd Street and Lexington Avenue and walk East one block to Third.

Like my post I had previously. Go to the Duane Reade drug store on 125th street in Harlem. They had everything and even the suave you can get there. That is not hard to find at all.

[ QUOTE ]
Tai said:
Sengchick,
Girl, I have not been holding out. I haven't been and I don't even know exactly where it's at. A coworker is taking me tomorrow. All she told me is that it's in SW Detroit on McGraw.
ohwell.gif
As soon as I have an address and all the details, I will definately share.
smile.gif
I didn't know the Beauty First had already opened in A2. The site listed that it was coming soon.
There used to be another BSS on Washtenaw but that one was closer to A2, where the Rite Aid used to be and where the Credit Union was east of Hogback Rd. Do you know if that one closed up?
Guapa, there's also a health food store a bit closer to Ann Arbor in Livonia called Zerbo's Health foods on Plymouth Rd near Wayne and Stark. Plymouth rd actually runs all the way out to Ann Arbor so you can just take that instead of the freeway. It's about the same distance on top or on the freeway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Tai.
wink.gif
You're going to Harlet's. There's another one, but no one has been successful in locating it. It's supposed to be much larger and has been in business longer. Please share your results.

The other bss on Washtenaw is still there (well at least the last time I checked). But I walked in there once and never returned, b/c it was just full of weave hair and stuff. I always felt like it was a front and they were really selling "other products" in the back.
ohwell.gif
laugh.gif
I forget that it's even there. The other one is just a short ride away and it's much, much larger. More like a Lee's and full of everything.

I've never been to Zerbo's, but there are other HFS in A2 too now that I think about it. Whole Foods on Washtenaw (it's beautiful, new and grande-sized now) and Arbor Farms is on Stadium, they too have a new store and a full line of products. They used to be a bit higher, but based on the website have gotten themselves under control. They probably have less mark-up than Whole Foods. Vitamin Outlet is by the mall on Eisenhower, they have a small section of body/hair care products too.

BeautyFirst on Washtenaw is open every day....
ohwell.gif
look.gif

Sorry for hijacking...
Sengschick, have you been to Harlet's? My coworker told me the name of the shop we were going to was Extreme Cuts.
confused.gif
Either way, I'll come back with a full report and hopefully some pics so I can start a hair album finally.
I remembered Whole Foods yesterday. There's also a couple of campus salons who sell products, too. Supercuts and the salon that's right behind the Union. They should have all the big names like Paul Mitchell, Sebastian, Nexxus, etc.

[ QUOTE ]
Tai said:
Sorry for hijacking...
Sengschick, have you been to Harlet's? My coworker told me the name of the shop we were going to was Extreme Cuts.
confused.gif
Either way, I'll come back with a full report and hopefully some pics so I can start a hair album finally.
I remembered Whole Foods yesterday. There's also a couple of campus salons who sell products, too. Supercuts and the salon that's right behind the Union. They should have all the big names like Paul Mitchell, Sebastian, Nexxus, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah,
sign13.gif
Ladies.
look.gif
Maybe you've found it!!!! Harlet's is on McGraw too in SW Detroit. So maybe Extreme Cuts is the big one we've been looking for!!! Please report, please report, please report!!! I've never been to Harlet's, learned about it here from Tippy75. She gave it a glowing review.

There's another salon too on S. University... near the old Tower Records... Noggin's, I think. They have great sales from time to time. 2-for-1's on Nexxus, Bed Head and the like. I think they carry Aveda too. During art fair (July) they have a great side walk sale too.
smile.gif

Thanks ladies, I have been trying to suppress my PJism, but all these shops.............. Whats a girl to do?? 2 for 1 on Nexxus? oh my poor bank account!

[ QUOTE ]
Tai said:
All she told me is that it's in SW Detroit on McGraw.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a very large Puerto Rican and Dominican community all around the edges of Mexican Town. (How Ironic)

I think I know that Salon... some lady at the beauty supply store was telling me about it a couple weeks ago.

If you find out, let me know.

But in Ann Arbor, there's not too too much. Try the surrounding communities. I found out, a great way to find beauty supply stores is to go to like Outre or Sensationnel and do a search for the zip code. It usually pulls up the biggest / more popular stores in that area.
smile.gif

I'm leaving out right now to try Harlet's. My appt is at 3. I will come back with a full report.
smile.gif

Back