New Weave (Concerned)

tess1913

New Weave (Concerned) I have pics now!!!

I just got a new weave yesterday. Thise was my first time with a weave I have had braids several time before. When I got braids in the past my hair wouldn't be as thick so I refrained from getting them over the past 5 years. So I ahve been itching to do something different with my hair. My hair is past shoulder length but not quite armpit length.
I am little concerned. Its not too tight or anything actually it feels really good. I am concerned that the young lady put knots in the string to keep it from slipping out of the needle. I could feel it tugging my hair. I am afraid that when I take it out in 4 weeks I will have a lot of breakage. I even had a nightmare about it last night.
Do you ladies have any experience with this. If so, please help. Now my hair is in good shape overall I am 8 week post relaxer and thriving (before weave)
I plan on leaving it in for 4 weeks, then seeing what the damage is.
Tess

See my fotki account.
http://members.fotki.com/tess1913/

Last edited:
i never personally had a weave before, but ive taken many out :) i would say that you will want to be carefull when it comes time to take it out. let someone else cut the knots/strings out for you and keep the braided parts of your hair moisturized well. if its tugging so much that it hurts, i suggest you have her or someone else, redo those sections.and make sure you dont pull on the weave or style it too harshly to the point where it pulls more.

Thanks for your response. It's not hurting,it's the installation I am concerned about. The knots in the string when she put it in may have broken some of my strands.

I wouldn't worry about it. It should be fine. Everybody ends the thread with a knot like that. I've never had it break any of my strands off. Also, remember when you go to take it out you are going to see hair coming out. It's just going to be shed hair that built up in the cornrows. They should be whole pieces though. If you see short pieces coming out, that's breakage.

Thanks,
She put more than just one knot, more like three or four. This is going to be bad, I didn't realize it until she was almost done. I wasn't uncomfortable until she started pulling the thread.

Tess, I wouldn't be too concerned. Like BMore stated this is fairly normal to know the end of the thread. Does your install feel loose like it's gonna come out? If so then you should go back to the stylist and have her tighten it. It sounds like you have a solid install. Those knots are there to help prevent unraveling. As Op stated you will experience shedding which is normal, don't be afraid when you see this.

Tess, I wouldn't be too concerned. Like BMore stated this is fairly normal to know the end of the thread. Does your install feel loose like it's gonna come out? If so then you should go back to the stylist and have her tighten it. It sounds like you have a solid install. Those knots are there to help prevent unraveling. As Op stated you will experience shedding which is normal, don't be afraid when you see this.

I agree with Ali. Tieing a knot is standard. Sometimes when I do my own, I tie it 2 or 3 times to make sure it will stay. It's not your hair being tied in a knot, it's just the thread. She didn't do anything out of the ordinary. If your hair is cornrowed, none of your strands should be out in order to be caught in a knot in the first place.

Okay so there's no need for concern when she's pulling the knots through my hair?
It's in pretty tight, no problem there. It should last pretty good for 4 weeks of wear.
Also, what is a good styling product to put on wet and wavy hair to keep it from getting stiff and hard. I have been using stay soft fro and diluted sebastion wet. Any ideas????

Okay so there's no need for concern when she's pulling the knots through my hair?
It's in pretty tight, no problem there. It should last pretty good for 4 weeks of wear.
Also, what is a good styling product to put on wet and wavy hair to keep it from getting stiff and hard. I have been using stay soft fro and diluted sebastion wet. Any ideas????

I don't understand what you mean by pulling knots through your hair. There should be thread going around your cornrows and around the weft. When they get to the end of the thread there should be a knot to close it off. But where knots in your hair came from, I don't understand. None of your hair should be knotted. None of the weave hair should be knotted. The only thing with a knot in to should be the thread. That's it. If the stylist knows what they're doing, then there shouldn't be a problem. Is this a new stylist or is this somebody you've been going to for a while? Did you go them based on a recommendation? Did you do your research?

As far as the hair goes, I've never worn wet n wavy hair persay but I've worn curls. It depends on the type of hair. I bought a more expensive hair so I was just able to wash it and go with no product. If it's a regular wet and wavy hair there's a mousse you can get called Wet N Wavy mousse. That should work. Also, you might want to apply the mousse and put it in 2 french braids at night.

She had a knot at the end of the thread plus a a couple of knots within. The she was pulling throught the weft and my hair. Should I be concerned?
I have seen her work and it is good, I am jusst concerned about my hair underneath. I wasn't sure of what to expect, but I knew not to get it done too tight.
The sta soft fro has been working pretty well. What is a good quality hair without getting way too expensive. The young lady working in the BSS told me about Milky Way, so I went with her recommendation. But I want to get your opinion.

She had a knot at the end of the thread plus a a couple of knots within. The she was pulling throught the weft and my hair. Should I be concerned?
I have seen her work and it is good, I am jusst concerned about my hair underneath. I wasn't sure of what to expect, but I knew not to get it done too tight.
The sta soft fro has been working pretty well. What is a good quality hair without getting way too expensive. The young lady working in the BSS told me about Milky Way, so I went with her recommendation. But I want to get your opinion.

Yeah, IDK about that. I've never heard that before. I've found that with the wavy/curly hairs from the BSS, after you wash them a few times they start to look like crap. They tangle and mat. So if I get one put in, I don't leave it in long and I try not to wash it too much. Since you said you're only leaving it in for 4 weeks then you should be okay. Just don't wet it a lot.

As far as brands go, I don't really use any BSS curly hair. If I do, I buy synthetic and get a short curly style. The rest of them are a waste of money since I wash frequently, IMO. For straight hair, I always bought Outre Platinum New Yaki because it was fine like my relaxed hair was. One of my gfs always bought Milky Way because it looked more coarse in the pack. It was a better blend for her hair. If you plan on wearing a weave for an extended period of time and will be wearing the same style, I suggest you invest in some better quality Remy Hair. If you are reusing it, you will get your money's worth even though it is more expensive. It was pointless for me to buy more expensive hair because every time I got a new weave, I got a new style (usually a different hair type and color). I wasn't reusing hair.

Hello,

I think your hair will be fine. I do weaves and I only put a double knot on the end of the string and not along the string. I don't know the purpose of this but if it has already been pulled through your hair any strands that may have
got broken, have already broken. And since your hair is cornrowed underneath it shouldn't have been many. Just be sure to moisturize your hair underneath the weave(braid spray, diluted infusium, hair oil, hair cream like ORS) and you should be fine.

Just don't let anyone do that in the future. And if you're really worried about what the string does to your hair. Put the thread on the needles for your stylist (telling them your helping) and just knot the ends. And you could also put some hair oil on the string to help it slide better. Less damage.

Hope That Helps

The hair is wet and wavy, I am going to keep using the moisturising spray and braid spray to keep it looking descent. Where do you buy good hair?
If you buy it my the ounce how much would you need for a whole head? I wear to it to work mostly so I will be pulled back into a bun.

I haven't bought any "good=expensive" hair yet b/c I haven't budgeted right yet but I've heard of:
Wagmans
His and Hers
Extensions Plus
hairsisters.com ( the remy hair)

If you leave the top portion of your hair out, then get 8 onces. If you cover up all your hair get 10-12 ounces. 16 ounces=one pound

HTH

kandegirl
Thanks for your help.. Hopefully I won't have too much damage. I know I am long overdue for a trim, I wasn't planning on a major trim although. Trying to get to armpit length by my birthday on March 31st.
I see you live in Houston (looking through your fotki), I live in Huntsville (originally from Houston) . What side of town is the dominican salon you visited?

I haven't bought any "good=expensive" hair yet b/c I haven't budgeted right yet but I've heard of:
Wagmans
His and Hers
Extensions Plus
hairsisters.com ( the remy hair)

If you leave the top portion of your hair out, then get 8 onces. If you cover up all your hair get 10-12 ounces. 16 ounces=one pound

HTH

That sounds like too much hair. It depends on what length you're getting. If you're getting longer lengths, it's going to weigh more so you'd need more ounces. For a regular weave about 8 ounces (2 packs of hair from the bss) will suffice. I cover all my hair with 8 oz. When I was relaxed and left hair out for blending I would buy 8 but I would always have a piece leftover.

Last edited:
The dominican salon was off of 45 going South near the Beltway. It's called the Hair Center. Ask for Betty.

kandegirl
Thanks for your help.. Hopefully I won't have too much damage. I know I am long overdue for a trim, I wasn't planning on a major trim although. Trying to get to armpit length by my birthday on March 31st.
I see you live in Houston (looking through your fotki), I live in Huntsville (originally from Houston) . What side of town is the dominican salon you visited?

Thanks girl I really appreciate your help. I plan on stretching my relaxers for 12 weeks at a time. What I plan to do is every 7 week post relaxer get a weave for 4 weeks rest 1 week then relax. I plan to get better hair next time although.

Back