New-to-you Hair Products/lines: Q & A & Comments

Hi!

Does anyone know if I could consider this DC to be protein-infusing (at all)? Thanks in advance. I was advised by someone pretty knowledgeable here at LHCF that it might not be.

NOTE: I read somewhere that protein doesn't have to be high up on the list to have a good effect, but I'm not sure about that.

Name: TerraVeda Quinoa and Green Tea Deep Conditioner
Link: https://terravedaorganix.com/products/quinoa-green-tea-deep-conditioner

Ingredients:
Water, Botanical Infusion, BTMS, Persea gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Theobroma Cocao (Cocoa) Seed Butter - Unrefined, Cocos nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Alkyl Esters, Glycerin, Mangifera Indica (Mango ) Seed Butter, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Hydrolyzed Quinoa, Guar Conditioner, Squalane (Olive), Triticum Vulgare (Wheatgerm) Oil, Camellia sinensis (Green Tea), Panthenol, Paraben Free Preservative, Fragrance, HydroxyEthylcellulose, Trigonella Foenum Graecum (Fenugreek Seed ), Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot Extract), Cananga odorata (Ylang Ylang) Oil
The bolded is protein. Not sure, if it's a strengthening or softening protein.

The bolded is protein. Not sure, if it's a strengthening or softening protein.

Thanks, @MileHighDiva. I knew that the quinoa is protein and that in a hydrolyzed form it's small enough to permeate my hair. I just don't know if this DC can be considered a protein treatment simply because the quinoa is present. Or . . . does it need to be higher up on the list to be considered a protein treatment?

I'm going to just try it and see what happens. :laugh:

Last edited:
Thanks, @MileHighDiva. I knew that the quinoa is protein and that in a hydrolyzed form it's small enough permeate my hair. I just don't know if this DC can be considered a protein treatment simply because the quinoa is present. Or . . . does it need to be higher up on the list to be considered a protein treatment?

I'm going to just try it and see what happens. :laugh:

It depends on the head it's on but it could go either way. Quinoa is moisturizing for me. I use it in DevaCurl No Poo Decadence and Bekura Vanilla Whiskey. In the No Poo it's very moisturizing; in the Bekura, it aids in moisturizing. It might work differently for you.

I really like Joico products for hair repair, but has anyone tried Joico new Curl line? If not, I might try some of there products one day and review them.

http://www.joico.com/joico-products/curl/

products-home.png

:wave:

Hi, @blueberry2118! Did you ever try these? If so, what's your review? TIA!

To those who have used both Soultanicals Hair Glide and SheScentIt Pumpkin & White Chocolate (or Blueberry) Cowash:
1. Which has more slip?
2. If you HAD TO CHOOSE JUST ONE, which do you prefer?

Thanks so much: I've run out of my DevaCurl Decadence One Condition, and I'd like to find a product that can detangle, cowash, and infuse my hair with curl-defining moisture. I'm wondering if SSI cowash = Soultanicals Hair Glide + DevaCurl Decadence One Condition so I can eliminate a step/product. MANY thanks in advance for any help. :smile:

Is anyone still using anything from the Honey Baby Naturals line? If so, what is your opinion of the line/products?

Also, is anyone using Carol's Daughter's rhassoul line? If so, what do you think of it, and how does it compare to the Black Vanilla line for moisture? I've never used either.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

16789565_263494930744732_7884479466238377984_n.jpg

upload_2017-3-1_17-8-27.png upload_2017-3-1_17-10-2.png

I think I may have found a potential shampoo from a black vendor: Kriya Botanicals Honey & Fruit Low Lather Shampoo Some of her other products look promising as well. Shipping is a little high though. I wish these vendors had samples they could just stick into a bubble-wrap envelope.

I follow Afro Khadisiac on YouTube because she's hipo like me, and she recommends Kriya's DC. I did not know it was black-owned. Hmm. :scratchchin:

Last edited:
Is anyone using HairYum? The website is: http://www.hairyum.com/. They also sell on Etsy.

One of my favorite YouTubers, YoursNaturally11, mentioned the shampoo and deep conditioner in her Favorites of 2016 video.

I don't have a favorite shampoo yet. (I have a favorite shampoo bar, but a few reservations). It would be GREAT to find a super DUPER moisturizing shampoo that is so slippery and moisturizing that it feels like a detangler and makes you feel you could (almost) skip conditioner/leave-in.

I'm wondering if the HairYum shampoo is anything like that?

And then there's the DC: It's getting raves. Anyone have any experience with the poo or DC? The vendor seems great, so far.

YoursNaturally11 Video: Her Favorites of 2016

I've been wanting to try the Ouidad Curl Recovery Melt Down mask? The price has me like :eek: So clearly I want to do my research ahead of time. Has anyone used this? Do share your experience please.

curlrecovery_melt_down_extreme_repair_mask_7_1.jpg

I think I may have posted this before. But the melt down didn't work for my hair. Made it very dry and took the color out of my hair. Now they just had a sale 2 for the price of 1. This tells me they were trying to get rid of their inventory for whatever reason. Their newest product, triple immersion dc looks good, but I wish they sold the 2 oz size separately instead of in a kit.

I'm reaching product-fatigue again, which is a good thing. :smile:

The only thing I feel I need now is a good scalp exfoliator. Does anyone recommend a good one that I can get OTG? What is the best one you recommend, whether OTG or not? TIA

I read that long scalp exfoliation thread and was like :eek:. My scalp is basically off-white in color . . . completely different from my caramel-colored skin. According to the thread, my scalp might not really be off-white in color. I may just need to exfoliate. Wow!

Anyhoo, every scalp exfoliation product I see so far either only gets "meh" :meh: reviews or costs too dang much.

So I'm thinking about going the DIY route here. I read a few articles about this. Though sugar is often used in DIY scalp exfoliators, it might not be the best move, according to a few articles. It's possible to instead use baking soda or salt.

I unno: I don't know if I want to put either of those anywhere near my strands. All of this is making me wonder if rhassoul clay can exfoliate my scalp. I never really rubbed my scalp with it.

*And right on cue, my scalp starts itching right above the nape of my neck. Sigh.*​

I've been wanting to try the Ouidad Curl Recovery Melt Down mask? The price has me like :eek: So clearly I want to do my research ahead of time. Has anyone used this? Do share your experience please.
[/QUOTE

This didn't do much for me. It smells good but the performance left a lot to be desired. It didn't really add much moisture, or leave my coils popping.

The only thing I feel I need now is a good scalp exfoliator. Does anyone recommend a good one that I can get OTG? What is the best one you recommend, whether OTG or not? TIA

I read that long scalp exfoliation thread and was like :eek:. My scalp is basically off-white in color . . . completely different from my caramel-colored skin. According to the thread, my scalp might not really be off-white in color. I may just need to exfoliate. Wow!

Anyhoo, every scalp exfoliation product I see so far either only gets "meh" :meh: reviews or costs too dang much.

So I'm thinking about going the DIY route here. I read a few articles about this. Though sugar is often used in DIY scalp exfoliators, it might not be the best move, according to a few articles. It's possible to instead use baking soda or salt.

I unno: I don't know if I want to put either of those anywhere near my strands. All of this is making me wonder if rhassoul clay can exfoliate my scalp. I never really rubbed my scalp with it.

*And right on cue, my scalp starts itching right above the nape of my neck. Sigh.*​

I've wondered about the exfoliating power of clays. Both @Rastafarai and @snoop mentioned that the exfoliating product got rid of way more gunk than clay ever did for them. Piqued my interest.

I just used it recently.
For my hair, I consider it more of a sealing in the goodness kind of conditioner rather than imparting the goodness.
It didn't really do much of anything - it's not slippy, not particularly moisturizing nor strengthening, does soften somewhat though.

@YvetteWithJoy

I think some of the ladies use a Silk Elements exfoliator in that thread with good results. The Nioxin should be OTG at Ulta, JCPenney salon, or a Nioxin salon. I think Ulta has a few brands that carry an exfoliator. I cannot speak to any of the OTG brands though. Chemical/enzymatic exfoliation yields the best results IMO.

I use the Komaza Care Pona Hair and Scalp Treatment and you'd have to pry it from my hands (or discontinue it) for me to switch :brucelee:

Last edited:
I just used it recently.
For my hair, I consider it more of a sealing in the goodness kind of conditioner rather than imparting the goodness.
It didn't really do much of anything - it's not slippy, not particularly moisturizing nor strengthening, does soften somewhat though.

Interesting. good to know. I remember MoKnowsHair recommended Aphogee Curlific Texture Treatment as an alternative and I loved it. I'm on my second jar. So I was always curious if the Ouidad was even better. Oh well, I'll see. One day I might give it a try. Thanks for the review.

I think I may have posted this before. But the melt down didn't work for my hair. Made it very dry and took the color out of my hair. Now they just had a sale 2 for the price of 1. This tells me they were trying to get rid of their inventory for whatever reason. Their newest product, triple immersion dc looks good, but I wish they sold the 2 oz size separately instead of in a kit.

Wow and now Ulta is having a "Spend $25 on any Ouidad products, get a 2 oz Curl Recovery mask for free", lol. I wish they sold it in a trial size. For that price, you'd think they would.

Does anyone know what the final verdict is regarding the Shea Moisture Purification Masque?

I don't see it on SM's website. I do see it at a local BSS. I've read that there was a formulation change??? So . . . does the new formulation perform well? Has it been discontinued? If not, why doesn't SM have it on their website.

I'm interested in it because it's supposed to be able to detangle, cleanse, AND deep condition. That would be GREAT! Much less manipulation of my hair, and then I likely wouldn't trial the Nature Skin Shop Shikakai All-in-one-conditioner that supposed also detangles, cleanses, and deep conditioners: https://www.natureskinshop.com/clea...-hair-loss-for-gorgeous-shiny-healthy-hair-39.

@YvetteWithJoy

I think some of the ladies use a Silk Elements exfoliator in that thread with good results. The Nioxin should be OTG at Ulta, JCPenney salon, or a Nioxin salon. I think Ulta has a few brands that carry an exfoliator. I cannot speak to any of the OTG brands though. Chemical/enzymatic exfoliation yields the best results IMO.

I use the Komaza Care Pona Hair and Scalp Treatment and you'd have to pry it from my hands (or discontinue it) for me to switch :brucelee:

@rileypak, I don't know if I asked you this before or not (my apologies if I have): Do you still use the Pona? Do you feel that the Cantu ACV Rinse can replace/usurp use of the Pona? TIA.

@rileypak, I don't know if I asked you this before or not (my apologies if I have): Do you still use the Pona? Do you feel that the Cantu ACV Rinse can replace/usurp use of the Pona? TIA.
I still consider myself a Pona user even though I haven't purchased it in a while. They serve different purposes to me. The Cantu will lightly cleanse your scalp and hair (it actually lathers a little if you use too much). The Pona does not lather at all, it's thicker in texture than the Cantu, has no protein in it, and acts more like a scalp treatment. It helps loosen scalp debris and gunk really nicely and scalp itchiness is kept at bay.

Mielle has an Exfoliating Shampoo in their new Mongongo Oil collection. There are no reviews of it yet at the Sally's web site, but they just came out with it earlier this month.

Back