New to the Forum - Relaxer Help Please!!

mzconley

Hello All,

I'm a :newbie: to the forum and I see some WONDERFUL threads in here!

I need some serious help/suggestions for my situation. Before I went to the salon yesterday, I had not had a relaxer since Feb. 07. I was wearing braided styles and kinda gave up on the natural transition and was anxious to get back into relaxer mode. So, I go into the Egyptian salon that I used to frequent when I was getting relaxed, and told the stylist what I wanted.

To make a long story short, instead of the stylist relaxing all of the new growth (because she hadnt seen anyone whose hair grew as much as mine over the course of one year - her words :rolleyes:) she only relaxed HALF of my NG.

I got a nice blow out and flat ironed style (yes, blowdried and almost fried) and if I knew it was going to turn out like it did, I would have not relaxed and just let them blow it out natural (looks good). After the arguing ensued about the relaxer, I asked what was she going to do to correct this. She told me that she could relax everything again post 6 wks. Is a corrective relaxer a good solution? In other words, I would have the new growth from the root, then maybe 3-4 inches of the relaxer I just got, then 4-5 inches of natural hair, then year + old relaxer on the ends. I do NOT want to cut my hair (got a good trim yesterday - free), and I do not want to lose my hair, either *sigh*

ETA: also, I have to find a way to baby my hair for the next 6 weeks *sigh*
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Last edited:
If it were me, I would wait about 8 weeks before I relaxed my hair again. I wouldnt want to damage the already relaxed parts. I'll also make her give me a free hair style too (LOL)!

Hello All,

I'm a :newbie: to the forum and I see some WONDERFUL threads in here!

I need some serious help/suggestions for my situation. Before I went to the salon yesterday, I had not had a relaxer since Feb. 07. I was wearing braided styles and kinda gave up on the natural transition and was anxious to get back into relaxer mode. So, I go into the Egyptian salon that I used to frequent when I was getting relaxed, and told the stylist what I wanted.

To make a long story short, instead of the stylist relaxing all of the new growth (because she hadnt seen anyone whose hair grew as much as mine over the course of one year - her words :rolleyes:) she only relaxed HALF of my NG.

I got a nice blow out and flat ironed style (yes, blowdried and almost fried) and if I knew it was going to turn out like it did, I would have not relaxed and just let them blow it out natural (looks good). After the arguing ensued about the relaxer, I asked what was she going to do to correct this. She told me that she could relax everything again post 6 wks. Is a corrective relaxer a good solution? In other words, I would have the new growth from the root, then maybe 3-4 inches of the relaxer I just got, then 4-5 inches of natural hair, then year + old relaxer on the ends. I do NOT want to cut my hair (got a good trim yesterday - free), and I do not want to lose my hair, either *sigh*

ETA: also, I have to find a way to baby my hair for the next 6 weeks *sigh*
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Why in the world she gave you only half a relaxer beats me. Corrective is kind of what will have to be done but I wouldn't let her do it.

Basically you would have to have a person good on the eyes touch up the NG from the root skip 4 inches and then add the relaxer to virgin hair (your natural hair) then leave the old relaxer ends alone but protected with conditioner or other protective from the entire relaxer process.

that's a lot of work. I will be doing a corrective in which I will have to do some skipping around but I have another qualified person assisting me.

Definitely baby your hair, you really not supposed to have high heat after a relaxer (medium to low is suggested) I hope she used a heat protectant.

I don't think you will have to cut your hair but I would definitely be on hawk eye mode if you let her touch your head.

No pics for us to see the lovely hair, whats up with that? :drunk:

For the bold of your statement; that makes me a bit weary of the fact she's never dealt with someone with growth and lot at that matter, makes me think that her clients heads ain't retaining growth, getting lots of breakage, etc. PLEASE BE CAREFUL!

Why in the world she gave you only half a relaxer beats me. Corrective is kind of what will have to be done but I wouldn't let her do it.

Basically you would have to have a person good on the eyes touch up the NG from the root skip 4 inches and then add the relaxer to virgin hair (your natural hair) then leave the old relaxer ends alone but protected with conditioner or other protective from the entire relaxer process.

that's a lot of work. I will be doing a corrective in which I will have to do some skipping around but I have another qualified person assisting me.

Definitely baby your hair, you really not supposed to have high heat after a relaxer (medium to low is suggested) I hope she used a heat protectant.

I don't think you will have to cut your hair but I would definitely be on hawk eye mode if you let her touch your head.

No pics for us to see the lovely hair, whats up with that? :drunk:

For the bold of your statement; that makes me a bit weary of the fact she's never dealt with someone with growth and lot at that matter, makes me think that her clients heads ain't retaining growth, getting lots of breakage, etc. PLEASE BE CAREFUL!

*in my guuuurlfriend voice* Lookie Ize wuz DESPERRIT to get on here and ask this question that I havent put up any pics yet! LOL :yay: This experience would be something good for me to chronicle. The avatar pic is how my hair looks now. I plan to upload some more pics now, then take some when I wash my hair to show the drama that was created...

You must be from Chicago and you must have went to the same Egyptian salon that caused me to have to cut off 4 inches of hair from their hot as :blush: blow dryer.

They be doin' what they want to do for real! At least she didn't overprocess you and it can all be corrected. Good luck and welcome!!!

You must be from Chicago and you must have went to the same Egyptian salon that caused me to have to cut off 4 inches of hair from their hot as :blush: blow dryer.

Why of course...however I went to the location in Aurora...

I lived in Bolingbrook for 8 years, just moved to Joliet but I work in Naperville, and the Aurora location was on the ride home.

There is a salon in Bolingbrook that I used to frequent (an independent Egyptian) when I was tired of the Egyptian location in Bolingbrook being nasty looking at 8am in the morning. He was very healthy-hair conscious. He took care of my hair so well that he convinced me to streak it a few years back, and he kept it healthy. I stopped going to him cause he stopped being open on Sundays. Now I hear he's back open on Sunday's again. I may need to pay him a visit and chat...

*in my guuuurlfriend voice* Lookie Ize wuz DESPERRIT to get on here and ask this question that I havent put up any pics yet! LOL :yay: This experience would be something good for me to chronicle. The avatar pic is how my hair looks now. I plan to upload some more pics now, then take some when I wash my hair to show the drama that was created...

Your hair looks good in your avatar.
Yeah you must be from Chitown (that's home for me)

My friend went to egyptian once and she had to cut off hair later from breakage. But I've heard they can get hair really straight and all bouncy and light though

Your hair looks good in your avatar.
Yeah you must be from Chitown (that's home for me)

My friend went to egyptian once and she had to cut off hair later from breakage. But I've heard they can get hair really straight and all bouncy and light though

Thanks. I just need to figure out how to keep it between now and the corrective. I DONT want her in my head again. She can kick rocks with open-toed sandals on...

Now I just need to find something to keep the hair moisturized (non water based) between washings. I'm also on YouTube checking out the Dominican blow out instructional videos, cause I have a feeling that I may have to fly solo until the corrective :yep:

Back