New To The Board!!!!!!

Indian_Trini said:
Hey Everybody. My name is Denishia and I'm new to the board. For the past year since my sister went to college, i've been taking care of my hair on my own. Nowadays, my hair is starting to break. I'm 14 so I really don't know that much about hair. I'm doing the best I could. I do deep conditioning treatments, henna, pre-poos, daily moisturizers also. is there anything else that some of you may like to add to my regimen to maintain the breakage of my hair? Also, my hair has been thinning so that's another big issue. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Get rid of blow dryers and hot curlers at least for now, and anything that will add direct harmful heat to your hair. If you must use heat, use steamers and hooded dryers. If you use a flat iron, use it sparingly and always use a heat protectant. Cut back use of hair gels (they are drying), rubber bands and similar hair tools (they stress the strands and yank hair out), and brushes (they pull the hair, replace with wide tooth combs in the beginning of your journey).

You are on the right track with the pre-poos, deep-cons, and daily moisturizers. Co-washing and airdrying is great, especially when you are starting out on your healthy hair journey. Cut off any split or damaged ends. Read the newbie thread LHCF has here to learn the basics, and develop a regimen for yourself. Balance your moisture and protein treatments (SistaSlick has a great thread that explains this). Protect your ends. Wear styles that tuck ends in, at least until hair grows passed the shoulders, so that it does not rub and snag on clothes. Comb hair when wet only and if dry, then comb very gently.

If your hair is thinning, try bagging and using conditioner mixes using castor oil, honey, coconut oil, coconut milk, and other humectants. Read up on these. Also, for the thinning, try not to wrap hair too often and try not to wear hair in styles that pull the hair. I am about to try henna also. Good luck with that. It is supposed to be great for strengthening hair. This is just a few things to give you food for thought. You have come to the right place. PM folks here for specific questions. You are at a great age to discover healthy hair practices. I wish I was your age when I found out these things. You will do great. :p

Back