New To LHCF! Transitoner Seeking Help!

Kay1922

Hey ALL! I'm new to LHCF and I have partially made the decision to transition to natural hair. Reason being, my hair was/is heat damaged. I'm having trouble with keeping my hair moisturized. I've had a perm since forever and (almost) shoulder length hair all my life and I never saw my real growth potential! I'm looking to transition to a healthy head of long hair.

My hair in it's normal state is thick and soft. And it doesn't stay straight (get big and poofy) which is why it's probably so damaged from flat irons. Haven't had a perm since June 2012 and I've been wearing sew ins and Senegalese Twists since.

My profile avi is my hair pre-natural journey after cutting my 'damaged' ends... Of course it doesn't look like that now since I've given the relaxer the boot.

Any tips, hair products and styles, member suggestions and stories, inspiration and support are appreciated!

Welcome Kay! :wave:

How have you been taking care of your hair under the weaves and twists? What products do you use?

NappyNelle said:
Welcome Kay! :wave:

How have you been taking care of your hair under the weaves and twists? What products do you use?

NappyNelle

Hey! I've been adopting the whole co-washing regimen with Tresseme Moisture Rich. I even co-washed my twists... But other than that and deep conditioning that's about it.

You're off to a good start with the conditioning. Our hair needs moisture, moisture, moisture when we're protective styling. I think you're doing well already; I transitioned wearing braids and co-washing too. :)

Are you getting any build up?

NappyNelle said:
You're off to a good start with the conditioning. Our hair needs moisture, moisture, moisture when we're protective styling. I think you're doing well already; I transitioned wearing braids and co-washing too. :)

Are you getting any build up?

Yes ma'am.... I hate that! It's hard to transition I've contemplated going back to perms sooo many times! I'm trying to figure out what works for me... I have a sew in now and before you couldn't tell if it was my hair... Now after not having a perm my hair curled up like crazy. I don't want to flat iron my hair too much.

I will say, if you decide to use heat on your hair again, be sure that your strands are SUPER-D-DUPER-LY moisturized by a moisturizing conditioner. Here is a thread I created on using heat and how to get nicely straightened hair. This method also reduces the possibility of heat damage as well.

Back