New to LHCF and in need of great advice!

JolieFille

Hello to all!

I have heard of LHCF for a long time and decided to join because I want and need a change with my hair. My hair is shoulder length and thick. My last relaxer was Jan. 3, 2009. I have have thinking of going natural for a long time and I think I am ready. My goal is to have healthy, natural hair that is armpit or bra strap length in about a year and a half. I would love any great tips on a great way to get started in my transition(hopefully smooth). Now do I have to cut my hair short:sad: or can I work with my current length now? Thank you,
JolieFill:yep:

:welcome:
I am not a transitioner but I would say to do whats most comfy for you :) Theres no need to bc right away.There are many long term transitioners here on the board and there are also some transitioners support threads too. Hhg and good luck :grin:

welcome! im sure some ladies here would be happy to help u in ur transitioning process.

i don't know much about it but i know u dont have to cut it off. some women find that over time the different textures are just too much of a pain to handle so they cut. others just get tired of looking at the bone straight ends hanging from the new growth. totally depends on the person.

hope this helps and happy hair growing!! :)

Most folks here grew their hair out and snipped a little at a time. Allandra, one of the mods is dong this. Hopefully she'll make an appearance. BlackBarbie is also a long time transitioner as was Irresistible Iris. My second attempt at going natural I did a long transition but ended up relaxing after two years. This time I cut my hair into a short relaxed style then grew it out. I successfully completed the transition in 13 months.

Main thing is baby those roots and keep them moisturized. Be careful with detangling as the line of demarcation is fragile. Use styles that blend the two textures. I didn't use direct heat (flat irons/ hot combs). I did roller sets, braid outs, and ponytail buns.
Some ladies uses braids to give them a break from styling and this is a good option.

Patience is the main thing. - Welcome!

Carrie A,

Thank you for the advice. I am glad to know that I don't have to have a major cut right away in order to go natural. Snipping a little at a time sounds very good to me and yes my scalp gets dry very easy especially in winter so I will surely keep those roots moisturized! And hopefully within a year I make it through my transition as you did, thanks again!
~JolieFille

Hello to all!

I have heard of LHCF for a long time and decided to join because I want and need a change with my hair. My hair is shoulder length and thick. My last relaxer was Jan. 3, 2009. I have have thinking of going natural for a long time and I think I am ready. My goal is to have healthy, natural hair that is armpit or bra strap length in about a year and a half. I would love any great tips on a great way to get started in my transition(hopefully smooth). Now do I have to cut my hair short:sad: or can I work with my current length now? Thank you,
JolieFill:yep:

Welcome to the forum. Check the transitioning threads, they are numerous and very helpful. 18 months of healthy growth would yield about 9 inches of new growth. Work with the current length, I have not BCed, I'm dealing with the two textures a day at a time.

Back