New to group! Need all types of advise!!

TazzGirl

Hello ladies, so glad I found 5-year old daughter and I both need support, Not even sure were to start. Me: 45yrs, last relaxer Oct. 07, trying to grow it out. nap length w/ lots of layer, goal: below shoulder, natural hair, but I'm a director at work, image is important. Cincinnati does not have a lot of stylist versed on natural professional styles. Currently, at shop once a week blow dry, flat iron smooth and curl. My dauther: 8" thick natural hair, but breakage all around edges, super slow growing, Oh she does swim once a week, I rinse, wash, and condition her hair right after, and put it in what I think are not very tight braids. She loves swim class hard to make her stop. Help!! products, process, etc. What is with monostat and the baggy think. Oh I have a drawer full of drug store products.

Hi TC,
Welcome to the board I'm a newbie as well. The only advice I can offer is to do a search on the board, I'm pretty sure you will find all the answers to your questions. I know that wasn't the answer you are looking for, lol but that's all I got for you :look: as I am new and learning too, just really wanted to say welcome!!!!

Welcome. I don't know what kind of advise I can give because I'm relaxed. In my years of trying to get my hair to grow I've found for me now that less is more. I used to be a serious PJ (product junky) I practically lived in Sally's and other beauty supply's.

Job loss made me a reformed PJ (hallelujah!). Now I only use a few staple products. I no longer put so many concoctions in my hair or do many things to it. So my advise would be to try and find a good product and routine and stick to it and don't do a lot of things to your hair. My personal favorite is coconut oil and aloe vera gel. Those two were the only things I was using in my hair for a while.

Hi. You will get a lot of advise from this forum but doing searches do help and also just lurking on the Hair Discussion threads will get you plenty of answers. I am not necessarily a newbie but I also know that you should visit The Childrens section on this forum, the ladies on that part give good advise on childrens hair. Just searching there last week I found some great advise on my daughters natural hair. Good Luck. Blondeylocks

Hello ladies, so glad I found 5-year old daughter and I both need support, Not even sure were to start.
My dauther: 8" thick natural hair, but breakage all around edges, super slow growing, Oh she does swim once a week, I rinse, wash, and condition her hair right after, and put it in what I think are not very tight braids. She loves swim class hard to make her stop. Help!! products, process, etc. What is with monostat and the baggy think. Oh I have a drawer full of drug store products.

Start with what products do you or stylist use? why do they flat iron then curl, this is a lot of heat. do they do a deep conditioning on your hair regulary
once a week every two weeks.
Daughter, do you use Aloe Rid or a clarifieing shampoo after swim class to remove the chemicals? What products do you use on her hair? what kind of brush do you use on her hair?

Hello and welcome to the group!

Great to hear that your daughter loves her swim class. Please don't make her stop because of hair. We need more swimming sisters! I'm no expert, but I've been swimming with thick natural hair for years. Does she wear a swim cap? Some can cause breakage, even on braids. Some products don't react well with the chlorine. What kind of moisturizer are you using on her?

Maybe some of the other LHCF swimmers can offer up some advice.

WELCOME from a fellow newbie!!!!:weird:
I heard somewhere (not sure if it was on LHCF or the tele) that swimmers should wet their hair and apply a conditioner or OIL (pre-poo), cover with a shower cap, then a swim cap before they get in the pool to combat contact with the chlorine. In her case you will need to concentrate on the edges and insure the swim cap and shower cap do not cause unnecessary friction to the hair and scalp. Also are you braiding her hair in the style every time? If so try switching up the braid positions to give the sides a break (of course keeping it super loose) Perhaps this will help...:drunk:

Ladies, thank you all these respones are great. I just ordered her a swim cap, will try a conditioner on her with shower cap prior to swimming. I also order a swimming shampoo for right after class. I'll try shampoo, deep condition with pastic bag for ride home, then rinse, and style? Does that seem right? but it can still be dry as straw the next day. Daugthers products: Silk elements mosituring shampoo, neutrogena deep recovery hair mask, infusium 23 leave-in conditioner, 'Just for me' oil mositure lotion, optimum care anti-breakage hairdress. Me: I go to a salon 1X a week, not sure of products, either blow or dryer, flat iron to smooth hair and curl to put some bump in it. some time dry with a roller set, lot of heat but I seem stuck for options with all of the new growth, last relaxer was Oct, my edges look a mess if I do not put some heat on it. Help for me, to have healthy hair like many of you and I'll jump in the childrens boards for suggestions there. Much Love and I know I'm found the right group to help me out.

Welcome!!!!!!:grin:

It would be great if you could limit the heat to the NG only. :yep: Take a look a the stickies and do searches. If the search feature is too much for you.:wallbash: Log on everyday and just read your heart out...........

Welcome!!!!!!:grin:

It would be great if you could limit the heat to the NG only. :yep: Take a look a the stickies and do searches. If the search feature is too much for you.:wallbash: Log on everyday and just read your heart out...........
thanks doing my best with this site, will get better an more efficient. what is a sticky? what should I search? tried a few topics and they come back blank? thanks again for the push one day I'll push a newbie in the right direction.

:Welcome: on LHCF Lady :wave:

Ladies, thank you all these respones are great. I just ordered her a swim cap, will try a conditioner on her with shower cap prior to swimming. I also order a swimming shampoo for right after class. I'll try shampoo, deep condition with pastic bag for ride home, then rinse, and style? Does that seem right? .

Here is a link for swimming pool regimen:
http://www.growafrohairlong.com/swimming.html

but it can still be dry as straw the next day. Daugthers products: Silk elements mosituring shampoo, neutrogena deep recovery hair mask, infusium 23 leave-in conditioner, 'Just for me' oil mositure lotion, optimum care anti-breakage hairdress.

There is a sub forum on LHCF dedicated to children hair:yep:

thanks doing my best with this site, will get better an more efficient. what is a sticky? what should I search? tried a few topics and they come back blank? thanks again for the push one day I'll push a newbie in the right direction.

Hey there just wanted to offer some help I remember all to well what it was like when I first joined this site I was frustrated and had a hard time understanding a lot of what was going on. First, A sticky is a post that has been permenantly marked for easy access usually these are at the top of the board.

Try this thread (for natural support):
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=121200

Try this thread for a list of various support threads:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=122211

Try this thread for newbies and finding stickies:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=108195

Here's one about swimming caps on the childrens board
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=128807

hmm can't think of what else to add at the moment. I do think after hearing what you are describing that you are using an awful lot of heat in your hair on a weekly basis and that you shouldn't stop your daughter from swimming b/c it's a great activity for her and it provides her an outlet for something that it sounds like she loves. I personally am not natural so I can't offer any advice about hair care specified to your needs. I know you can learn a lot from lurking and searching although sometimes the search feature acts up. You can also google the board to find information you want use this format:
type what you want in between the quotes and you'll find anything you need "swimming" site:longhaircareforum.com here's one I tried for you. Good luck! :look:

Back