New Subsriber/ Old Lurker (Long)

aquajoyice

Hello all of my beautiful LHCF Ladies!!!

I recently subscribed after being a lurker for about 4 years!!!! Yes 4 long years I have followed this site going through all of the phases of every newcomer. Shock= To see so many AA women of all hair types with long gorgeous hair. And also seeing people like me that were just starting their hair journey in 2004. Obsession= Being on 24 hours a day soaking in all of the great common sense information that this site provides and learning new things that laid all the AA hair myths to rest. And even abandonment for a little while, but now i'm back. And I want to make myself known, finally.
I'll try to keep my story short, but let me give a little history lesson.

I have coarse, dry hair that is relaxed. When I started I cut my neck length hair to ear length and started over. Note: It's always been neck length. Before I got here I read Cathy Howse's Book and began my journey. And over 4 years my short broken hair turned into BSL/Mid Back healthy hair. (It's never been this long in my life). During my 4 years i've had a baby, whose now 16 months. And it's still growing. My goal is mid back, which i'm surprised i'm about a year away. Considering i'm 6' tall. Yeah, ladies i'm a tall one
. So you know what that means, it's gonna take me longer to get there. But proudly after 4 yrs i'm almost there.

I'm currently experiencing hair anorexia. I know it's long, but not long enough. People think it's a weave, people think i'm mixed, all the stereotypes happen to me. I want to share my experiences and I want to learn more. I have a very simple regimine. Protective styles mainly buns, co-washes, clarifying, and at time deep cons. However, my questions are what is the best deep con and what it the best moisturizer? Is it better to make my own with household products, or better to buy? I'll get set-up, but in the mean time. Check out my myspace: [email protected].

Wecome! You didn't put up the MySpace link correctly, it's like an e-mail address or something.

Hello Aquajoyice

You're gorgeous:yawn:...haven't seen photos of your hair...I don't have a myspace...but if it's half as pretty as you you're doing well. :grin:

Welcome! When it comes to conditioners, I use several. Basically a mix of moisturizing and protein. Some of my favorite conditoners are Dominican. To name a few - Miss Key Wheat Germ, Nacidit Olive Oil, Emergencia, Romero, Noni. Aveda DR is also one of my favorite lines. I also use Mizani Keraphuse and Hydrafuse. I will be using my Aveda for the next 2-4 wks since I just got my relaxer. Then I switch over to my Dominican conditioners. Several ladies rave about the Keracare, Kenra and Elucence (msp?) line, but I have not tried them. You will probably have to try several until you figure out what your hair likes.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!!! I'm glad I finally came out to meet all of you!

Thank-you CMW.... I'm going to take some better pics of my hair so you can all see my progress.

Janeemat, i'm going to give some of those a try to see what works. Your hair looks beautiful and healthy. I may need to turn into a PJ until I find the right moisturizer. My hair can get a little dry still.

-I'm still learning how to use this site, but i'm going to work on putting more pics up and getting a Fotki.

Thanks for the heads up hopeful!! Here is my actual myspace URL: myspace.com/aquajoyice1

-Silly me :spinning:

You're welcome. I couldn't see your entire myspace page (said we needed to be added as a friend because it was set to private), but I could see your main picture, and you and your hair are very pretty:).

Welcome!!! Great progress lady. You asked about moisturizing conditioners right? I love Nexxus Humectress, it works really well on my hair. Sometimes I use it alone, or sometimes (and more often) I mix it with Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship or Dangerously Straight conditioners when I do my DC's. My favorite/staple moisturizers are EQP Mango Butter, and I now like to also use Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship or Break's Over leave in's as needed during the week and seal with coconut oil. These work wonders for me. My hair loves cones as well so, I havent seen any ill effects (HE leave-ins definitely has cones in it).

Back