New Person that needs help

andrea

First let me tell you how much I enjoy this site. You ladies are so amazing, dedicated and knowledgable.. Only now I am lost and I do not know where to start.. Any help that you guys have for me would be extremely appreciated...

My hair is a mess. I have been trying to grow it out but it seems like it is getting worse.. I got the color job from H**L a year and 2 months ago... My hair is breaking all over mostly where the color is but its taking a while to grow out. My hair is very dry and brittle.. My endss are horrible.. I have been using Nexxus products recently but I need a new plan.. I think my hair needs moisture but I dont really want my hair to be oily.. And most importantly I have to stop the breakage..

I have been to a couple of stylist that where highly recommended.. Well, that didnt go all that well... So, I am taking it in to my own hands..

Any suggestions on a moistrizer, shampoos, conditoners.. I am so lost..

I look forward to sharing info with you ladies.. (Im working on some pictures)

Protein to stop the breakage:Since you are using the nexxus line maybe nexxus emergencee.
I heard that Aphogee treatment is good stuff.
I personally recomend Joico K-Pak.

I use lekair cholesterol as a moisturizing condtioner. Have you tried nexxus humectress as a moisturizing conditioner.

Treat your hair very gently. Get trims to help get rid of the color. Wear protective hair styles.

Welcome Andrea!

Karezone gave you some excellent advice. For the breakage, try one of the protein conditioners she mentioned. Do a search first to read up on them.

Here are some simple, yet valuable tips that you may or may not already know to help with your dryness.
-If you suspect you have hard water (could be the culprit behind the dry and brittle hair), get yourself a shower filter
smile.gif

-Use distilled water for your final rinse.
-Try doing conditioner-only washes a couple times a week. Those cheapie conditioners are great for this. Ones that I really like for this purpose are Suave Coconut, VO5 Strawberries & Cream, and Daily Defense Tender Apple.
-Sleep with a silk or satin scarf OR a satin pillowcase, those cotton ones are just robbing you of your moisture.
-Deep conditioner after every shampoo
-Drink plenty of water to hydrate your hair from within

You said you want your hair to be moisturized, but not oily. Moisture really comes from water, and the oils are what seal the moisture in the hair, so don't worry you wont have to bathe your hair in oil.
grin.gif
Your best bet is to apply your product to dampened hair.

As for recomendations, whew...there are so many favorites on this board. It's times like these that I love the search engine
cool.gif
Just to randomly throw some out there: S-Curl spray for moisture, Elasta QP Mango Butter, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, Creme of Nature Shampoo, LeKair Cholesterol, Hot 6 Oil, jojoba oil, Wild Growth Oil, Loreal Unfrizz Smoothing Treament (LUST) conditioner, Motions Moisture Plus, Motions CPR, Kenra Moisturizing.

Personally, I really like the Mane N Tail Conditioners (The Original and Deep Moisturizing)I'm sure you'll be able to find more recomendations.

Welcome to the forum.
wave.gif

Could you name the specific products that you are currently using?

Personally, for me the Humectress used with heat for 30 min. on a twice weekly or weekly basis helped with the dryness of my hair.

The Botainoil shampoo helps to strengthen my relaxed hair.

The Keraphix is just wonderful in my opinion - used once or twice month can really bring your breakage under control.

As you can see I love nexxus, but there are other products that work just as well if not better. You will have to be the judge of what works for you.

For a quick fix on the breakage I perfer to use Aphogee. The sticky one that dries hard on your hair - followed up with the Humectress.

Then I would eliminate all heat usage with the exception of conditioning. No blow dryer, no curling or flat iron.

Also, what type of relaxer are you using - lye or no-lye. This might have also contributed to your dryness.

There is so much information on this site that you will find a way to make this work for you.

Best to you and good luck!!

Hello Ladies,

I just want to tell you guys thank you.. I have swamped at worked these past few days.. The information you provided is soo helpful.. I think I am going to start with a Moisturizier and a good protein conditoner..

Nita: I have been using Nexxus Thearppe, Humectress and Emergencee. I didnt really no what to use but I figured nexxus was a small step in the right direction...

I have layed of the heat. Now I just blow dry my hair twice a week... I am a little hesitant about the protective styles.. My face is very full and I just feel like it looks better when I wear my hair down... Its going to be a long road to healthy hair but it's time I start taking care of it.. I definately do not want to cut it short

This uis

andrea, until your hair is in better condition, you really need to eliminate most of the heat from your regime. blow drying twice a week is A LOT!! no matter what conditioners and other products you use on your hair, they will only do so much to improve its condition if you continue using the heat.

i know it's hard to make the adjustment to protective styles (that was probably THE hardest thing for me), but even wearing them sometimes will help. i believe your hair is telling you to give it a rest.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
adrienne0914 said:
andrea, until your hair is in better condition, you really need to eliminate most of the heat from your regime. blow drying twice a week is A LOT!! no matter what conditioners and other products you use on your hair, they will only do so much to improve its condition if you continue using the heat.

i know it's hard to make the adjustment to protective styles (that was probably THE hardest thing for me), but even wearing them sometimes will help. i believe your hair is telling you to give it a rest.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
pebbles said:
[ QUOTE ]
adrienne0914 said:
andrea, until your hair is in better condition, you really need to eliminate most of the heat from your regime. blow drying twice a week is A LOT!! no matter what conditioners
and other products you use on your hair, they will only do so much to improve its condition if you continue using the heat.

smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I third that
smile.gif
Aphogee is really good and it will stop the breakage instantly.
wink.gif

Welcome, andrea
wave.gif

I agree that decreasing the amount of heat on you hair will help tremendously. I've noticed a world of difference since I stopped using heat about 4 months ago. You'll get used to it
smile.gif

I am going to try the new heat... It's going to be hard...I am so used to it.. I will keep you posted... Anyone have a link for doing braid outs...

Thanks Ladies

Hey!

I am also a new member. I want you to know that you may become a PJ soon (if u are not already). If u find something that works for you, try to stick with it instead of buying the whole Sally's store.

Good luck with your hair journey, and keep me posted!!!

Back