New natural needs help

APrayer4Hair

Hello ladies!

I'm fairly new to this board and did the BC a week ago today. Things have been going ok so far but I think it could Be better. I'm still trying to formulate a regimen and I'm in need of a little help. I am aware that what may work for "you" may not work for me but I'm willing to try :blush:

What I'm currently doing:
Daily cowash with sauve condish
Applying MJ curly pudding and Eco styler Argan oil

What I'm in need of help with:
Better moisturizer
Building a routine (I.e. How to tell what my hair needs??
Hair type

Pics of my hair currently:

image-3621259579.jpg

image-132888092.jpg

image-1875265758.jpg

Sorry for long post and TIA!!

:welcome:!!!:wave:

I see you co-wash...but, you are using two stylers. Have you tried anything like the Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing smoothie or even Elasta QP Mango Butter moisturizer?

For a moisturizer: Try and get familiar w/water as a moisturizer; and sealing w/oil. Using water spritz mix w/1-2tablespoon of oil like castor & jojoba oil is excellent on hair. Sometimes I even mix in a little conditioner into my spritz (Aubrey Organics HSR). Then a great sealer is Jamaican Black castor oil (jbco) or regular castor oil. In all my years as a natural, this is better than anything I've ever bought off a shelf.

Building routine:
The key here is to stick with things that make your hair feel good. If you are trying things (after a few consistent tries) and your hair is still dry or having no reaction at all, its time to move on. I made the mistake of sticking w/products and certain lines b/c everyone said they were the best.

For instance, glycerin is praised around here, but my hair hates it-- it absolutely sucks it dry. Anyway, my hair remained hard and dry but I convinced myself that that was just my hair texture. When I finally moved on and began to experiment, I tried some awesome products and my hair IMMEDIATELY responded w/softness and strength. Also, my hair originally rejected water moisture, so I thought water was bad for the hair. These products allowed my hair to accept water and to retain moisture.

SmilingElephant said:
:welcome:!!!:wave:

I see you co-wash...but, you are using two stylers. Have you tried anything like the Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing smoothie or even Elasta QP Mango Butter moisturizer?

No...I really haven't had a clue where 2 begin. I wasn't sure if I should explore my hair type 1st or jump right in to trying things. :confused: I def have PJ tendencies so I wanted to make informed decisions lol. Would u recommend 1 over the other?

virtuenow said:
For a moisturizer: Try and get familiar w/water as a moisturizer; and sealing w/oil. Using water spritz mix w/1-2tablespoon of oil like castor & jojoba oil is excellent on hair. Sometimes I even mix in a little conditioner into my spritz (Aubrey Organics HSR). Then a great sealer is Jamaican Black castor oil (jbco) or regular castor oil. In all my years as a natural, this is better than anything I've ever bought off a shelf.

Building routine:
The key here is to stick with things that make your hair feel good. If you are trying things (after a few consistent tries) and your hair is still dry or having no reaction at all, its time to move on. I made the mistake of sticking w/products and certain lines b/c everyone said they were the best.

For instance, glycerin is praised around here, but my hair hates it-- it absolutely sucks it dry. Anyway, my hair remained hard and dry but I convinced myself that that was just my hair texture. When I finally moved on and began to experiment, I tried some awesome products and my hair IMMEDIATELY responded w/softness and strength. Also, my hair originally rejected water moisture, so I thought water was bad for the hair. These products allowed my hair to accept water and to retain moisture.

Thanks for the advice. So after co washing and sealing with oil would I then use a styler for curl definition?

Welcome APrayer4Hair I think you will do just great and it is good that you are asking at this time when you are really started out before the length of your hair comes in. What I always tell my family members that just cut is to take it slow and see what your hair is going to do. I start them out on tresemme naturals, a water spray bottle with aloe vera juice and water in it for them to spritz their hair through out the day or at night before they are going to tie it up. I give them either castor oil or olive oil and tell them to leave everything else alone. you are trying to put the moisture back in your hair first so just co wash with the tresemme and leave it in your hair and seal or the last thing you put on your hair while it is wet is the oil. at night you can put the oil on again if it needs it and if you can co wash every day then do that. if not just spritz with the bottle and leave it alone no more combing or brushing your hair and leave the gel alone. you will see how soft your hair starts to get over the weeks. once it starts to grow in you will see if you need to use something else as a styler. with the tresemme while your hair is wet if your curls are not like you like you can take your finger and twist them around your finger to make ringlets.

Hi APrayer4Hair!

If I'm not mistaken, the Miss Jessie's has petrolatum or mineral oil in it. Either way, cowashing won't effectively remove it and you may end up w/some build up or dryness. If you are looking for a natural gel then you can try aloe vera gel. Some good cone free conditioners are Tresemme Naturals and VO5. For sealing I like grapeseed oil and crisco. I like Shadiyah's suggestions for a starter regimen. I have been natural 2 years and have just recently begun to develop a good, simple regimen. Good luck to you!

Thanks for the advice. So after co washing and sealing with oil would I then use a styler for curl definition?

I'm still trying to decide about using a "styler". If I did, it would be to hold twists/outs and would probably be a hair butter of some sort. In the past they seemed to block my hair from receiving moisture, so will be my own experimental endeavor. ETA: I agree w/Missalinarose below, I think aloe vera gel is the safest and probably best way to go!

Last edited:
:hiya3:
Welcome aboard LHCF!

I think @virtuenow has given some great advice already. To add to that I would say this:

#1 Your hair is currently at a GREAT length! Please take advantage of this time and enjoy its simplicity. I wouldn't do too much or overthink it. Frequent co-washes + a water based moisturizing spray multiple times a week is all you need right now.

#2 I see that you prefer a styler. I would say use an inexpensive, non-alcohol gel (I prefer Xtreme gel) or a natural gel (like flaxseed or aloe; it does nothing for me but wonders for others lol). I would say to use it maybe once or twice a week so that you won't have product buildup on your scalp or strands. Stylers stick around even with a cowash, so I wouldn't use too much! Of course if you use stylers a lot you will need to incorporate a shampoo every now and again. And, more shampoo can potentially result in dryness issues. So keep that in mind too.

I hope that made sense.

Last edited:
Thank u everyone

MissAlinaRose

Good idea on the aloe Vera gel...I have some around here somewhere. J also purchased aloe Vera juice today along with the tressemme naturals conditioner (BTW Ulta had the tressemme condish BOGO 50% off)

I cowashed this A.M. And applied cantu Shea butter leave in (found in the back of my cabinet :blush:) it left my hair very soft. I'm just afraid to use it daily because of the protein???

^^Personally, I wouldn't apply that Cantu leave in everyday. That stuff will build up on your hair and overtime will feel like it's not working anymore lol. That happened to me.

But you never know it could be a different situation with you. I think you're on the right track!

Shadiyah
Will the h2o/ aloe Vera juice mix need to be refrigerated?

because it is mixed with water I have not had a problem with keeping it near my bedside. I have to get to it when it is needed lol. but no I did at first but no now when I mix the aloe vera with the olive oil I put that in the ref because it is only aloe.

Thank u everyone

MissAlinaRose

Good idea on the aloe Vera gel...I have some around here somewhere. J also purchased aloe Vera juice today along with the tressemme naturals conditioner (BTW Ulta had the tressemme condish BOGO 50% off)

I cowashed this A.M. And applied cantu Shea butter leave in (found in the back of my cabinet :blush:) it left my hair very soft. I'm just afraid to use it daily because of the protein???

APrayer4Hair oh no on the cantu yes it is protein and you want moisture right now. put every thing away except the tresemme and the aloe vera and a oil like olive oil or castor oil. if you want to use shea butter use the pure one and whipped in the mixer with olive oil and another oil and aloe vera juice it will be so soft and fluffy.

It sounds like you have a good regimen that is working for you.

I suggest starting with the cheapest & easiest accessible products & work your way out from there. In the beginning I tried some of everything & wish I hadnt. After all the experimenting, my fave products are shea moisture products & oyin (even though that isnt in local stores its worth the shipping costs to me). If u need to seal just use what u already have in your kitchen b4 spending $ on a bunch of different oils. I bought jojoba, castor oil, coconut oil... shea butter. The olive oil I already had works just fine.

Also start with a super simple regimen so u dont get burned out & overwhelmed. If something isnt working then tweek it but dont change it just because.

If your hair looks good & feels good to you then keep on doing what you are already doing.

Good luck tho, the beginning is a fun time. Now that I found my regimen & my faves I'm like "what am I supposed to do now...?" Lol

Last edited:
Back