localhost

<font color="blue">Hello everyone! I've been browsing the board since November, so I feel as if I know ya'll already. I'm 4B relaxed, 2 inches below the shoulder, and I've recently broken from the reigns of my hair stylist. My next relaxer is due in about a week or two, and I have an issue that I need help with:

The bottom/left side of my hair is shorter due to breakage from the perm being left on too long (Revlon Lye). Fortunately, my hair appears to be about the same length b/c the shorter part is covered. When relaxing, how do I go about protecting my mane from over processing? What do I need to use? Vaseline? Conditioner? What really works?
</font>

HIE /images/graemlins/wave.gif

i dont rerally kno but petroleum based products protect scalps a lot coz wen i used to get my hair relaxed my mum'd use either vaseline or blue magic hth

Welcome to the board. The relaxers that I've used (currently Optimum Care) usually come with some kind of protective oil that you can apply to the air to avoid over processing. I'd suggest that you use something like that on all of the hair that's not new growth just to make sure that you don't damage it again.

<font color="blue">Yeah, that helps. I think I'll try vaseline or castor oil or something. I'm confident I can pull this off and minimize breakage. Thanks for responding /images/graemlins/wink.gif </font>

if you're gonna do your relaxer yourself, some brands come with a conditioner to put on the previously relaxed hair. i think they even mention it on the packaging. check for that. if you can't find one, i'd say use your fave conditioner on the previously relaxed hair.

to treat the scalp, my stylist has used Liv Hairdressing in the past:

aid1010.gif

the next time i have it done, i'm gonna take the Protective Barrier Balm that i bought from Elucence:

conchitaprotectivebarrierbalm8.jpg

adrienne

Welcome aboard SweetPea:

I just posted a reply under (I think) Dionne's post regarding my experience with lye relaxers. Years ago, I experienced the same problem using Revlon Lye Relaxer, while two other women I know hair grew to bra strap length. Please keep us posted with future results. /images/graemlins/wave.gif

Welcome Sweetpea /images/graemlins/wave.gif Good luck on your hair journey /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hi SweetPea. Nice to finally be able to "talk" to you. I usually coat my previously relaxed hair with oil or conditoner (especially the ends)getting it touched up.

<font color="blue">Thanks for the suggestions, ladies. I'll keep ya'll posted on how this turns out.

Adrienne (or anyone else who knows), where can I find Elucence products? </font>

Hey there, SweetPea! Welcome to the boards! /images/graemlins/wave.gif

Back