New member needs help!!!

amazin9

I am currently experiencing extreme dryness with my hair. I have relaxed 4a hair and this is the first time I have had ends that are breaking off and my seems as though it is shedding. But, I may just be paranoid. I am getting frustrated.
shocked.gif
I wash my hair once a week with Softsheen Breathru and I use the entire line of products. It was working well at first, but now my hair tangles and knots really bad after washing. I have also tried Pantene R&N and it did not really moisturize either. I am growing out a hair cut. The sides are bottom of ear length and the back is bottom of neck and breaking fast! Can someone please recommend some products that will help me.....
confused.gif
My goal is hair to the bra strap. It was there before and I would LOVE for it to be there again
grin.gif

Welcome Amazin9! Please share your whole hair regimen with us so we can understand more. For example, are you using heat on your relaxed hair?

Hey welcome to the board.

The first thing I would say is to get new products the Brakthru products for me were horrible. I had the same problem it worked at first but then I started experiencing problems. I use motions lavish conditiong shampoo. Follow up with suave milk and honey conditioner. For a leave-in I use Neutregena Triple Moisture silk touch leave in mixed with wonder 8 oil and it leaves my hair soft and moisturized. To help combate breakage I ary dry and stay away from other forms of heat and use motions cpr when necessary. I dont use any of the heavier protein products so may be someone else will help you there.

Happy hair growing

If your ends are breaking then maybe you need to get a trim so the damage doesn't continue up the shaft. Until then, EVOO works great on sealing in moisture on wet ends.

Drink plenty of water to help combat some of that dryness. Remember that healthy hair begins on the inside.

I'd also suggest a good trim...it sounds like your ends are damaged and if they are, there is no use hanging on to them.

A deep conditioning treatment, done regular, may also help with this. I dont' know much about Softsheen products because they didn't work well for me when I used them. You may want to switch to a new product line. When I was permed, I used Creme of Nature with very few problems. Elasta QP also worked well for me. I'd also suggest that you stay away from products with alcohol in them because it has a very drying effect on the hair.

I wish you the best.

look for products that say moisture on them. e.g moisturizing shampoos and conditioners. i agree with payience you need to drink an adequate amount of water daily.

Yes Isis, I use heat on my hair just about everyday. I am growing out a layered cut and my hair is in the in between stages. It is difficult to find styles for my hair length without cutting or adding hair. I had an awful experience with braids, so that is not an option for me. I am thinking about buns and ponytails for the summer to give my hair a break.

Thanks for the suggestions! I am getting a trim when I go to the salon next week, along with my touch up. I am thinking of purchasing Elasta QP moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. My hair is fine and I need a leave in that will moisturize, but not weigh my hair down. I have heard good things about Elasta Mango Butter. Is it good for fine hair? Is it necessary to use shampoo and conditioner from the same line, or can you mix and match?

Using shampoo and conditioner from the same line would probably be better as most products from the same line are designed to build off of each other.

Using heat daily is a MAJOR NO-NO!!! THAT is probably the MAIN cause of your hair breaking and the dryness...you've damaged your hair by applying heat too much. You need to give the heat a rest. Applying heat to relaxed hair is daily is NOT a good thing at all. Have you tried wearing any protective styles such as buns, updo, twists, cornrows, etc...basically styles that don't require you to use heat?

Back