New Member Needing Advice

Titansgirl

Hello Ladies,
I am finally coming out of lurking mode. I have enjoyed learning from this board. You ladies are very impressive w/ all of your hair knowledge. I have been lurking since Oct. 02, and I have learned alot from all of you. I just want to say, thank you for just sharing.

Okay, I have a delimma. I am taking the plunge and getting a relaxer on tomorrow. I haven't had a perm since May 02. I had permanent color bleached in my hair July 02. In the past I used no lye perms that I bought from the store. Oh, I normally go every six months before putting a perm in my hair. I'm not sure what type hair I am, yet.

Anyway, I'm totally afraid of hairdressers, but since I have this color in my hair, I feel that I should get a perm professionally done. I called and talked to three different hair salons. Two of the salons told me that they would have to put the relaxer to the ends of my hair. Wouldn't that be considered overlapping the relaxer on my previously relaxed hair????? Because of this board, I took charge and decided that I wasn't going to settle for the response, "I have to treat your hair like virgin hair and use two applications on your hair to straighten it!!!" I then called the 3rd salon and stopped in to show them my hair. The hairdresser stated that she will only perm my 3" of new growth and put something on my ends to protect the rest of my hair from drying out. She stated that she was going to use Affirm mild relaxer. Thanks ladies, for everything..... I'm still terrified...lol

Titangirl.

Welcome to the board /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Out of all the salons I'd go with Salon #3 just from what you have described so far. Good luck with it.

Thanks Londondiva... I went to all three places and showed them my hair and the other two continued to say that I needed the relaxer pulled all the way to the ends...

Hi Titansgirl,

Welcome to the board! /images/graemlins/smile.gif
The 3rd salon sounds like the best choice. The first two would be overlapping the relaxer on your hair. Good for you that you stood up for yourself. If something doesn't feel right, you should definately speak up. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Welcome to the board /images/graemlins/wave.gif, what took you so long?

Like LondonDiva said, I'd go with number 3.

Welcome to our boards !!! i would have to agree with the ladies i would go with salon #3 good luck let us know what happened. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

hey titansgirl,

big welcome to the board...
i know i am being nosy but how did you come up with that name??? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif
nay

wow that is so cool that you actually went in and inquired about what they would do to your hair. i being the dummy that i am would just sit and trust them. i've been thinking of trying affirm because i have heard so many good things about it. i previously used motions but i would like to try affirm because i heard motions results aren't consistent. i wish i could take the incentive and inquire about how they will apply the relaxer. my mission is to find a salon that applies only to the new growth and uses affirm. anywho way to go on inquiring about the procedures taken in applying the relaxer. Good luck. God bless you all.

Hi azul11,

This board is the reason why I had the nerves to investigate the hairdressers like I did. I have had several bad experiences in the past because I didn't speak up. Ex. I asked the hairdresser back in July to put streaks in my hair. She totally dyed the front of my head. I was upset, but I didn't say anything. I'm glad I found this board, and these very independent and take charge ladies...

Hi Titansgirl

Welcome and I'm glad you came out of the lurking mode! /images/graemlins/clap.gif I think going with the number three hairdresser that told you she would put something on your ends and only relax 3 inches is the best choice.

Back