New lease on relaxed hair health

Connie

Since I'll be relaxing soon again, I've turned over a new leaf and decided I'll be more proactive in caring for my relaxed tresses. I used to brush off my stylist's suggestions of moisturzing/protein treatments in between touchups and have NEVER done a hot-oil treatment even though they're highly recommended.

I tried that Pantene 2-in-1 Hydrating Curl Shampoo (with the condition already in it). Someone on this board mentioned how good it was, and it was on sale, so I decided to try it. In addition to smelling good, I noticed that my hair didn't break off as much when I detangled my hair--hair loss was actually very minimal for a change. I also tried some of that Organics Carrot Oil. Hmmm...could be because my hair is a mix of natural/permed, but I'm not sure I like it. It's hard living without the "shine" if you know what I mean..lol. Do any of you relaxed sisters use Carrot Oil?

I see a lot of posts about the benefits of a clarifying shampoo. Is this solely for naturals or can relaxed heads benefit as well? Do you use it in place of regular shampoo or in between washes? What are your recommendations for a good clarifying shampoo?

For once, I'll be happy to sport shorter hair if it means all the damaged hair will be gone and have a chance to grow back stronger. /images/graemlins/clap.gif

Clarifying shampoos are supposed to be used every once in awhile unless your hair is laden with a lot of products. Twice a month at the most will be fine, though. They can be used whether your hair is relaxed or natural and should not be used everyday.

I would recommend a shampoo that contains Amla for clarifying as it not only gets the hair and scalp really clean, it doesn't strip away moisture. You can find various Amla shampoos in Indian gorcery stores. If you're not near one, any drugstore brand will do. If you're worried about dryness, use a regular shampoo, but keep it on for a minute or two and then rinse.

I have used carrot oil in the past, but found that it made my hair very greasy. As for all oils, moderation is key. You don't have to saturate your hair for it to be moisturized.

Rub just a little oil of your choosing into your scalp, then pour a dime-sized amount of oil into your hand and rub your hands together. Next, run your hands through your hair. Add a little more oil to the ends and you'll be good to go.

I used it on my daughters natural hair and it was a mess!! I had a hard time getting her hair back the moisture it lost. Be careful if you are a natural. It works wonderful on my hair. I use Suave Clarify.

I dilute my clarifier(Suave) with ALOT of water. I HATE that stripped feeling. Even with it mixed w/water, I still had alot of stuff coming off of my hair.

As far as carrot oil, I use the liquid occasionally. I have found that it is best to use it when your hair is 80% dry. That keeps it from being so greasy. I just part and apply it from roots to ends.

The ORS carrot oil is on the top of my list for things to try NEXT YEAR.

I used sauve claifier, it got my hair squeeky clean! I am curious to try Nexxus claify.
My hair is fine and the ORS carrot oil weighted my hair down somehting awful.

My hair likes it when i use regular shampoo then followed by a moisturising shampoo like Kenra.

I clarify with Keracare 1st lather. It cleans but doesnt give that stripped feeling.

Hi Connie /images/graemlins/wave.gif,

Congrats on your decision to make a hair change. There are lots of ladies on this site that have proven to me that you can have relaxed AND healthy hair at the same time.

I think clarifying shampoos are great on relaxed hair to get rid of build up. I started using Mane and Tail again recently but I can't use it w/o following up with Creme of Nature shampoo. So far it's been working. The M&T works sort of like a clarifying shampoo in that it gives your hair that "stripped" feeling, but the CON seems to add all the moisture right back in. When I've used CON alone on a regular basis, I would use Suave every now and again to clarify.

I LOVE the Suave Milk and Honey shampoo and conditioner, but lately it doesn't love me so much so I've switched. Best wishes to you on your hair journey!
SG

i have a mixture of oils that has carrot oil in it. I remember before mixing the oils all together, carrot oil has a good smell! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I don't often do hot oil treatments per se myself, either; however, I do heat my oils often and sit under my heat cap with them on as my pre-poo treatment. This has worked wonders for keeping my hair hydrated and soft.

I am glad that the Pantene 2-in-1 Hydrating Curl Shampoo (with the condition already in it), but since you have some damage, just often remember to still follow with a deep conditioner--that would probably help.

I LOVE ORS Carrot Oil...it is definitely my favorite moisturizer, and I am relaxed. I am another one of the few who don't mind the smell /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Those of us who are relaxed certainly can benefit from a clariying shampoo. Since you like the Pantene line, Pantene makes a good clarifier. I, too, have a clarifying shampoo that isn't billed as such, but I can tell that it works the same. Because of recent posts by SG and others, I have decided to try Mane and Tail, but I also do like to have one that specifically says clarifying. I use mine between washes every other month or so (not as often as most). HTH and good luck /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Back