New here

Sandy

I thought I posted earlier, but I guess it didn't work. I'm new to the group and would like to get any tips that you can through my way until I have a chance to catch up on all the hair care tips/products, etc.

I have 4b above the should lenght hair that seems to be breaking/shedding for some reason. Just reading a few of the post, I wanted to know how some of you are going 8, 10, 12 and 16 weeks without a touchup. Can you inform a sistah!

Thanks

hey sandy,

welcome to the board.
i think it really depends on your hair type how long you wait between relaxers.
i think the more coarse you hair is the shorter the time should be because the structure of the hair is too different and then when you wait too long the hair can break.
the more wavy your new growth is the longer you can wait with relaxing. because there is not such a big difference between these two hair structures.
i relax my hair about 3 times a year but i want to cut it down (i have also thought abouth stop doing it).

but i will see.
this is just what i think and what works for me i am sure you will hear some more opinions on this thread.
nay

Welcome to the board Sandy.

I agree with Nay on the time issue. There are products you can use to try and minimize breakage like curl activators, leave in conditioners, etc. Remember to that if you are simply shedding, many people experience shedding during winter months.

Are you taking any vitamins or supplements? Also, what haircare products do you use currently?

Welcome to the board!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have never been able to go beyond 6wks, unless my hair was in a weave, braids or twists. I would like know also because my hair actually gets ugly /images/graemlins/mad.gif after 5 weeks.

Welcome and I agree about it depends upon your texture. I used to relax 2 times a year...with no problems. Then I started using no-lyes and relaxing every 8 weeks(cause I was told I was suppose to)....I started having problems. I no longer relax...but if I ever do again, it would be twice a year(and a lye).

Welcome Sandy!

I recently went 8 weeks without getting a relaxer and I found that if I wash and deep condition once a week (and especially the week before) the new growth was softer and manageable. I also found that by greasing the scalp, moisturizing the hair and new growth and ends, it reduced the tangling and breakage. I would usually not go so long before because my hair would shed and break and would tangle badly, but I found that it didn't have to be so. I read somewhere that some people apply vitamin E oil or SCurl non drip to the new growth to soften it. I haven't tried it, but I have heard that that helps.

Welcome to the board Sandy.

I have to agree with Carmenrose that the moisturising, conditioning the hair and new growth regularly makes the stretch between relaxers last that bit longer. Due to my coarse hair texture 8 weeks tops is all I can manage.

Hi Sandy,

Welcome to the board! /images/graemlins/smile.gif Like another poster stated, if your hair is very coarse, you should do touch-ups more often to minimize breakage. I have 4a/b type hair and find that I have to relax every 6-8 weeks. I wash and deep condition my hair every three days, so I don't get a lot of breakage, but I do experience a lot of shedding during the winter months. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Welcome, Sandy. I relax every 8 weeks. Somewhere mid-cycle, I get a lot of breakage right at the point where relaxed hair meets new growth. When that happens, I stop wearing my hair out and put it in protective styles (bun, ponytail, frenchroll, etc.) that I can just tie down at night with no daily manipulation of my hair.

Sometimes I put in braid extensions (only about 25-30 braids) and that helps me get through the last week or so until my t/u.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I thought I posted earlier, but I guess it didn't work. I'm new to the group and would like to get any tips that you can through my way until I have a chance to catch up on all the hair care tips/products, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Sandy,

Talk about catching up to do! The board is moving so fast that in 10 minutes it seems like over 50 new posts pops up! /images/graemlins/grin.gif That's a good thing though. I'm sure that you will find many answers through all of the posts by doing a search if you need specific information...but the wonderful ladies here will most likely keep you from doing that because help is always on the way. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back