New Hair Straightening Trend...Yes? NO?

Here's what I Found: (Description / ingredients):

outletnutrition_1974_902830

outletnutrition_1973_285210
trans_1x1.gif
Curlaway® Gradual Curl Relaxer

Relaxes & straightens hair. Leaves it soft and bouncy with natural ingredients(low-pH, non-alkaline formulation).
6 oz Jar

Regular price: $19.99
trans_1x1.gif
trans_1x1.gif

Sale price: $15.87
trans_1x1.gif
trans_1x1.gif

Quantity:

[FONT=arial, helvetica]Curlaway Relaxer lets you control just how much curl to remove. Curlaway is compatible with all types of processed hair and does not react with chemicals now in your hair. It will gradually relax your curl and add shine and softness.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Take out the tight curls, then enjoy loose, natural curls, or gentle wavy hair or go completely straight with no curls at all! It's your choice with Curlaway Gel![/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Curlaway Gel also eliminates frizz. Curlaway Curl Relaxer was developed to provide a safe, effective way to semi-permanently straighten all types of curly hair. Its patented formula is safe on skin and lets you decide how straight your hair should be![/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Ingredients:[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Deionized water, PEG 400 mono stearate, dimethylsulfone MSM), natural acetic acid, grapeseed oil, xanthan gum, fragrance.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Biodegradable. Not tested on animals. Made in the USA.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica]Availability: Usually ships the next business day.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica]812634004015
trans_1x1.gif
Regular price: $19.99
trans_1x1.gif
Sale price: $15.87
trans_1x1.gif
Quantity:[/FONT]

Nice & Wavy posted this [thread=165529]thread[/thread]...
And I saw this quote on the thread you gave me just now:

I've heard of this treatment before. It's supposed to work wonders for damaged, curly hair. When applied to hair and then straightened it's supposed to turn it into silken, straight hair. I have also heard of the formaldehyde in it making people seriously ill. They claim to have formaldehyde-free treatments, but I'd suggest anyone looking into this treatment do some heavy research on it.

I had no idea. :nono: This is really serious!!! I can't believe it.
Thanks.

The October 2007 issue of Allure magazine has a long article on the dangers of the Brazilian hair straightening systems. Specifically about the ones that contain formaldehyde. The orginal article was called "Scared Straight".
Here is an excerpt from a funeral director/embalmer in the current issues' letters to the editor:
'I am a licensed funeral director/embalmer in Ohio and Kentucky, and I taught mortuary science at the Cincinnati College of Mortuary Science. It's important to note that latex gloves should not be used in any treatment using formaldehyde-based products, because latex begins to degrade immediately upon contact with formaldehyde. Formaldehyde will embalm living skin and could cause permanent damage. I believe that the only safe method for handling the amount of formaldehyde in the ignorant method described in "Scared Straight" would be for both the operator and the client to use a fit-tested HEPA filter and nitrile gloves, and to keep the treatment off of the client's skin.'

WoW! Thanks for sharing. It seems like I'd be better off texturizing.
I thought this stuff was something new. I guess it hasn't killed enough people yet to be banned!

Back