New & Confused????

LaRobinWolfe76

:confused: I'm new to this forum but before I came here. I went to another website UBH and now I'm frustrated and confused.I'm 28 yrs old and my hair is 26 inches long from my crown to my back and I have cut my hair many times before.In October I cut 4 inches off and I have it all back in 6 mos. I 'm confused because hair is protien and it is an extension of your scalp which is living so therefore your hair is living and when it is treated as such it grows.I also was told by someone to put lots of protien and conditioners on my hair and in doing so damaged it.The protien your hair needs comes from the foods you eat as they are broken down by your body.I'm on a high protien diet now because I'm trying to loose weight but I'm growing hair faster than I normally do and so is my sister who is also on a high protien diet for weight loss.
Also, I don't put lost of oils and moisturizes in my hair.I have an Affirm relaxer only because I've moved and switch stylist but I've had many different relaxers depending on what my stylist used and my hair never had an adverse reaction.Also,I use Nexxus,Aveda and Keracare products and I began using Aveda when I read that Jada Pinkett-Smith was using them and I started to see her hair begin to grow and at that time I had a short Halle Berry cut and as soon as I began using them my hair took off and has been long every since.So could someone please tell me why all the different products are needed to grow the hair and especially UBH products.

THANK YOU THANK YOU
YOU ARE RIGHT
YOU ARE ONLY WASHING ALL YOUR MONEY DOWN THE DRAIN WHEN YOU USE ALL OF THOSE PRODUCTS. A PH BALANCED SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER EVERY 4-6 DAYS WILL DO MORE THAN ALL THOSE. EAT A BALACED OR HIGH PROTEIN DIET. :)

"Using a bunch of products" is NOT needed to make your hair grow. Hairmaster pretty much summed it up for ya'. :)

If you are using Aveda products and they are working for your hair, stick with them. :yep: Question: what Aveda products do you use???

Btw, hair is dead once it grows out through the scalp. ;)

Welcome Robin :wave:

First, I just wanted to address something. Hair is not living. Hair and nails are dead; if there were living, it would hurt to cut them. However, they do require proper maintenance.

Secondly, with regards to product use...well, my take is that a person's hair growth is solely based upon genetics. For instance, one person may grow 2 inches of hair per month, while another grow only 1/2. However, the products helps the person to maintain acheived growth.

Examples:

You KNOW that you may be able to grow long hair, because you had long hair as a child, right? But now as an adult your hair seems to break when it reaches a certain length. This could be due to relaxers, other chemicals...maybe protein treatments keep your end strong enough to surpass that length.

Maybe you have really dry ends and although your hair is reaching great lengths, you feel that your hair only looks good when you chop off 4 inches. In your case, maybe deep moisturizing conditioners, like Humecto work best for you.

Like Pooh said, it's best to use products that work for YOU...because what's doing wonders for my hair may not work for yours.

Did any of that make sense?

OT: ummm girl, don't come up in here talking about a high protein diet with that added benefit of boosting hair growth AND NOT SHARE THE LOVE! :lol: If you ever get the time, I would love for you to share your diet regimen on the Health board :)

OH and...we'd love to see some pics of the hair ;)

I think that Cathy Howse's (UBH) site is pretty accurate and it is exact same beliefs that the ladies on this forum has. The only difference is Cathy has her product line of 4 products which provides the 2 things that our hair needs....protein and moisture (which makes things very simple). And the ladies on this site, we are all still searching and discussing which products that will provide the 2 things that hair needs in order to thrive.....
If you have found aveda products work for you, then by all means stick with them and just make sure that you have a good routine for deep conditioning with protein on a consistent basis and applying moisure often/or daily.
In our minds we all know it's not the product that makes your hair grow, it's the maintenance that allows you to retain your hairs growth. But we still buy into this product junkie-ism (which i am not knocking because i have also, because i love haircare products and i have every right to because it's my money and i can do what i choose with it). And for me the reason i bought into is is because i like the way certain products make my hair feel and so i am trying out products suggested to find what i love and then i'll stick with only them. So i hope this makes sense.....happy growing!!!

I agree with the other ladies. I love haircare products. It is a hobby for me; very fun for me to try new things. I have a strict haircare budget so I don't believe I am wasting money.

I am happy that you have found things that worked for you though, took me 2 years to get it right.

Back