New *2009* Transitioners Support Thread!

Hey everyone. I'm still hanging in there, doing a bantu knot set for a knot out on Monday. I got some really nice hair accessories at Icing yesterday. Ooh, and I got a beautiful lacefront from lhboutique, but it didn't fit my big *** head so I sold it to a co-worker who is so fierce in that dam thing :(. Hope you're all having a nice weekend.

I will wash and blow dry my hair on sunday, then get it braided on monday, not sure how... maybe a weave? I dunno.

But I just want to go there with my hair ready, because I don't like them washing and blowdrying my hair, when they just yank the comb through my hair.

Ok i know this is going to sound a bit ... negative but I want to bc already ... i had planned to do it Jan next year ... but im thinking of doing it in December .. the only thing that is stopping me is .. wtf am I doing to do with it when i have all of my Christmas dinners to go to. How the hell can i wear a nice dress and wear a twa and look elegant? I know it sounds ignorant ... but i have yet to see a twa and a lady wearing a dress with it .. looking nice. Even Solange looks crappy in her white and pink ensemble ... sigh ..rant over

I've seen some ladies look FIERCE w/ a twa...one chick did a billy dean part...great headbands can take you somewhere...not to mention some great earrings...and great face of make up...there is a fashion forum (not sure of the name) on here and I have seen some divas in there...but confidence will take you a heck of a lot further than long hair...

I've seen some ladies look FIERCE w/ a twa...one chick did a billy dean part...great headbands can take you somewhere...not to mention some great earrings...and great face of make up...there is a fashion forum (not sure of the name) on here and I have seen some divas in there...but confidence will take you a heck of a lot further than long hair...

Thanks a bunch for answering. You are right , confidence is the key ...i've never lacked it .. I don't know why it seems to be absent now ... sigh.

2 Years, 2 Days Post texlax!!!

:bouncegre:bdance::yay::weird::trampolin:dance7::Flahsssss:sweet:
I'm so excited, I don't know how I let the 13th get by me! Still not planning to cut the rest of the texlaxed ends off until March or April.

what styles are you currently wearing during your transition?

Thanks, you too CurlyNue :)

Sorry about the time delay regarding the response, I just saw your post.

When I first started transitioning I was not researching hair styles so I kept my hair flat-ironed. Now that I know I am not the only woman in the world going through this process, I have found bantu twist outs, braid outs, roller sets, and rod sets. I have yet to perfect the bunning I keep hearing about. I will have to research some of the methods the ladies are using to see if I can make that style work for me as well.

How about you? Have you come across any styles that you can not live without? Do you have a signature style?

Take care!

I'm so excited, I don't know how I let the 13th get by me! Still not planning to cut the rest of the texlaxed ends off until March or April.

Congratulations! It's a celebration !!!

How much relaxed ends do you have left? What type of styles are you wearing while transitioning?

I have a lot of relaxed ends left. I only have about 2.5 inches of new growth and my hair is about APL. I've been wearing flexi rods, but they only last about 3 days. I've been straightening my hair, but I really don't need to keep doing that. I've been talking about getting a weave forever, but I don't know anyone in my area who can do it. :ohwell:

for those of you that do bantu knots, do you do them on your damp hair, or do you blowdry first? i want to try some because i'm kinda bored with my hair right now.

^^I'm the wrong person to ask because I have not had a successful bantu knot out yet. I have given up. I did two strand twists and then put then into a bantu knot on damp hair.

for those of you that do bantu knots, do you do them on your damp hair, or do you blowdry first? i want to try some because i'm kinda bored with my hair right now.

I love bantu knot outs. But I only had good results one time. In my experience, my hair takes soooo long to dry. I need at least 1.5-2 days to dry if I do it on soaking wet hair. If you are in a rush, I would try damp or dry hair. Because the drying time for those things are no joke. And if they are not complete dry when you take them down...:wallbash:

Now that must have been a smooth transition that you forgot:grin:! Congratulation!

Congratulations Eisani for reaching this milestone in your hair journey!!! I know you won't have a problem about trimming the remainder of your texlaxed ends until you are ready!!! :)

i had this really big urge to bc today ... but im keeping my bc for jan .. since i will be more prepared money wise to go on my $300 shopping spree for my newly natural hair ... so to get rid of my urge ... i snipped off some hair from the top .. i already took off from the sides a lil ... here is a pic from today

DSCN0776-vi.jpg

Uh yeah I am thinking more realistically at chopping at 12 months because my relaxed hair looks so sad when compared to the natural hair. It looks like strings, I will post a pic tonight after I rinse out my henna and deep condition. DH really doesn't want me to chop it, but I have got to do something for me. This is my hair, if I don't like it right away I already bought some human kinky hair to put in some twists as a back up plan.

I do mine with slightly damp hair after either allowing it to air dry to 85% or blowdrying. If I don't allow some drying before hand, they will still be damp when I take them down and then either the curl won't hold or it will get frizzy. HTH.

ETA: Bantu knot outs are my staple style and my fotki is full of them.

Last edited:
I love bantu knot outs. But I only had good results one time. In my experience, my hair takes soooo long to dry. I need at least 1.5-2 days to dry if I do it on soaking wet hair. If you are in a rush, I would try damp or dry hair. Because the drying time for those things are no joke. And if they are not complete dry when you take them down...:wallbash:
I know, I know....:wallbash:

I do mine with slightly damp hair after either allowing it to air dry to 85% or blowdrying. If I don't allow some drying before hand, they will still be damp when I take them down and then either the curl won't hold or it will get frizzy. HTH.

ETA: Bantu knot outs are my staple style and my fotki is full of them.
:yep:. I have to try this on weekends rather than overnight because my hair is still wet in the morning and I end up with a frizzy mess.

Now that must have been a smooth transition that you forgot:grin:! Congratulation!
Girl it was not always smooth, but it's become so easy, I really dont think about it anymore.
Congratulations Eisani for reaching this milestone in your hair journey!!! I know you won't have a problem about trimming the remainder of your texlaxed ends until you are ready!!! :)
I get sooo tempted to snip before then, but I promised myself I'd wait. I was tempted Sunday night!
i had this really big urge to bc today ... but im keeping my bc for jan .. since i will be more prepared money wise to go on my $300 shopping spree for my newly natural hair ... so to get rid of my urge ... i snipped off some hair from the top .. i already took off from the sides a lil ... here is a pic from today

DSCN0776-vi.jpg
Oooh, pretty! :yep:

Hi all! My last relaxer was about five or six months ago. I only just started taking care of my hair so I am going through some major breakage and dryness. I am trying to stay away from heat, which is a little rough because my hair is so thick. I break a lot of hair by just putting a comb through it. I am going to start co-washing on Wednesdays and I hope that will help. My only problem is knowing when I need protein. I don't know whether to stay away from it or if I actually need it. I did the Aphogee Reconstructor about two weeks ago and I could have sworn it stopped my breakage for two days. But then I did a wet test and I realized that maybe I had too much protein. So I'm so confused and I'm hoping for the best. I'll keep you all updated!

Yes I see what you mean, but you're not the only one who has stringy hair when wet. That's just the way it is. As long as you can "work it" out after styling, don't harp so much on how it looks wet. JMO. Then again, you need to do whatever will make you happy. We're all here to support no matter what.:bighug:

Yes I see what you mean, but you're not the only one who has stringy hair when wet. That's just the way it is. As long as you can "work it" out after styling, don't harp so much on how it looks wet. JMO. Then again, you need to do whatever will make you happy. We're all here to support no matter what.:bighug:

I agree with you StephElise, it part of the transitioning. Do be gentle with the that part of the hair more pone to breakages.

I totally get what you're saying because I have the exact same thing but once I style my hair and it's completely dry, that look (stringy ends) is a distant memory :yep:

Like I've said to you, you have such a pretty face and 12 months worth of new growth will look really good on you...

Think hard about it... ok?

Good luck, I (and many other ladies here) would like to be informed whenever you BC :yep:

Last edited:
Back