Never again SE! Ladies please critique my plan

Hersheygurl

Hi Ladies,

I know others have had much success with SE relaxers, but I should have listened to the threads that attributed this one with excessive shedding. Here's what I did....

About 1 1/2 weeks ago I came off a long stretch ( about 6 months) and texlaxed with SE.( I normally use Vitale High Comfort, but think you can only get it with a license now). I used the mild, and was happy with the results overall, but immediatly felt my hair was thinner or more hair was in the drain catchy thing than usual. I made sure to thoroughly neutralize, and did not add any oils to the relaxer. I basically just put it on, and rinsed it back off. I also coated my hair in conditioner and saturated my ends in vaseline and olive oil ( based my scalp well too). This relaxer breaks my fine hair down very quickly!

So, during my first post touch-up wash, I notice more shedding again, and my nape seems thinner. I can see the white bulbs on the long hairs, and I used a light protein ( Kids Organics light protein conditioner). My bun seems a little thinner and it seems when I do my braid ( my winter protective style), I keep ending up with more long hairs in my hand. I have seen a few short hairs on the bathroom counter too.

Here's what I was thinking of doing...

I was going to wash my hair and neutralize again, towel blot, and do the Aphogee 2 step ( hard) protein under the dryer. Then, I was going to rinse, and do a deep moisture conditioner ( maybe SE one) and leave it on over night with oil. What do ya'll think? I am trying to avoid a setback and appreciate any help. TIA.

Have you tried garlic shampoo or conditioner? It supposedly helps with shedding. I wouldn't resort to the heavy proteins to resolve a problem that something "lighter" might be able to fix. :)

Have you tried garlic shampoo or conditioner? It supposedly helps with shedding. I wouldn't resort to the heavy proteins to resolve a problem that something "lighter" might be able to fix. :)

Thanks, Esq.2B,

I was thinking of that as well, but wasn't sure if I needed to do more since I saw a few short broken hairs too. I hardly ever do the hard proteins, but I just panicked after seeing the extra shedding. I was afraid of being overprocessed or something. I usually tend to err on the side of caution and do moisture instead of protein.

I use SE but i never researched it before buying. Has anyone else had problems with this relaxer?

*off to research*

I use SE but i never researched it before buying. Has anyone else had problems with this relaxer?

*off to research*

I came across a few threads after I had already used it for my touch-up....I'm gonna try to find them too. I was hoping others would chime in with their experience with Silk Elements/shedding.

IDK about the shedding, but SE relaxer was too strong for my hair. It did contribute to my hair thinning and hair loss.

Since you didn't leave it on very long, do you think this might be a possible allergic reaction??

Protein will sometimes help BREAKAGE, but never shedding. It cant help shedding because shedding is a problem with your roots (your internal body chemistry) protein helps strengthen the bonds of the hair shaft (on the hair that has already grown out)

I would condition well to make sure you keep the other hairs healthy and moisturize well. You can try a protein to help repair some of the damage to the other hair, but if your hair is shedding a lot theres nothing you can put on it externally that will stop it.

i just did a relaxer with this last week and my hair has been exteme shedding and breakage more then normal i did a hardcore aphogee and it has slowed down and my hair is going back to normal i doubt i will use this relaxer again though

egads, i self relaxed with se with shea butter and it left my hair feeling completely like straw. thats what i get for trying to save a buck, back to mizani bb.

hopefully i can deep condition my hair back to its former soft self.

My stylist used SE regular and I didn't notice much shedding. I self-relaxed a few weeks ago with SE mild and while my hair feels great and it processed really well- I'm shedding more than I ever have! I really don't like this shedding.

I might have to go with Affirm which has worked for me in the past or try ORS lye.

So, ladies who've experienced excessive shedding what are you doing to counter it?

Back