Neutralizing Shampoo how often?

GinnyP

I read on a thread last week where one person had experienced hair breakage in the back and on the sides, so did I after my last relaxer Feb. 5, 2004 someone on the board suggested she use a neutralizer shampoo after her relaxer. I am scheduled this Friday for a relaxer so I went out and purchased Isoplus N.S. suggested by the salesclerk she stated I should neutralize everytime I wash my hair, is this correct?
I am 4a-4b relaxed. I only paid $1.19 for this. Also what is a good moisturing neutralizing shampoo to use? Can you suggest what else I should do before and after my relaxer? I am still learning I have been taught alot from you guys I appreciate everything!! I have learned more from this board in 8 weeks than my whole entire life regarding my hair. Thanks again!!

If you are getting relaxed at the salon and are concerned that you are not being properly neutralized, then you need to bring this to the attention of your stylist. I would think that if you neutralize the next wash after your relaxer, the damage is already done. I have read that in order to neutralize properly, the neutralizing shampoo should be left in your hair for 10 minutes. I self relax, and I use Isoplus. I follow that with Suave Humectant Shampoo though, because I don't think a neutralizing shampoo will moisturize. HTH!

Brickhouse does this after her relaxers. You might want to send her a pm. I'm sure she could tell you more about it.
smile.gif

Thanks Thick&Beautiful and Erica, I will mention this to my stylist on Friday, I am learning to speak up now! I will pm Brickhouse today. Thanks again for everything!!

You know the funny thing is I wanted to give stylists the benefit of the doubt but my Dudley's relaxer specifically says to neutralize 3 times and leave the last one in for 5 minutes. So now I am very demanding with them. Good Luck.

Thanks C, I don't trust hair stylist anymore I want to because I get lazy sometimes. This is my 4th hairstylist since that witch took my hair out last July 03 oh well I have picked up so much information since joining the board. Follow your gut, if you feel something is wrong speak up!! and come get on the board for advice and support.

If I correct you don't have to neutralize every time you wash your hair, that should only be after a relaxer that you use neutralizer.

If I'm wrong someone please correct me. I'm not that good at giving advice just on receiving it :-)

Raquel

You're right! You don't have to use a neutralizer everytime you wash. Neutralizers are to be used only after a relaxer. What I would suggest is that you use a clarifying shampoo such as IC Tea Tree Shampoo. It removes oils, buildup and normalizes the natural PH level of the hair. I would highly recommend this method as I've been doing it for years and my hair grows faster and it prepares my hair for further conditioning.

What will happen if you use a neutralizing shampoo for everytime you wash???

I've been using Motions Oil Moisturizing Neutralizing Shampoo. I shampoo once a week.

I did try Creme of Nature shampoo to try out as a regular shampoo and did not like it because it was hard to wash out of my hair so I gave it away to my sister (who really loves it) and I started back using Motions Neutralizing shampoo.

Since it's moisturizing and makes my hair feel great afterwards, is it okay to use for every shampoo wash I do??? I dont want to have to buy another separate shampoo for moisture or cleansing.

confused.gif

Back